snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 29 March 2008, 02:34 AM

Icon104 Weekend Rock List: Hidden Meanings

Eagle-eyed Paul McCartney fans realized that Macca’s new song “Mister Bellamy” was (possibly an intentional) anagram of “Mills betray me,” making reference to McCartney’s now-ex-wife Heather Mills. Thus, we examine those songs that a true (or untrue) hidden meaning or an urban legend behind it. Here’s a couple of our favorites (complete with their backstories).

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...dden-meanings/
Old 31 March 2008, 09:46 AM

Icon95

Paul McCartney, isn't he dead?
Old 31 March 2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Phil Collins – “In the Air Tonight” – The urban legend goes Collins witnessed a drowning in which a man could have helped the victim but didn’t.
I don't know how many times I'd heard that before this web site put me straight.

Last edited by jw; 31 March 2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 31 March 2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Yes. He died in 1966 and was replaced with a look-a-like.
Old 31 March 2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Peter, Paul and Mary – “Puff the Magic Dragon” – May or may not be about smoking a joint.
Or it could be about exactly what they've said it was about every time they're asked. I can just see the three of them sighing and rolling their eyes if they even notice this one being mentioned again.
Old 01 April 2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
Yes. He died in 1966 and was replaced with a look-a-like.
You're thinking of Steve Gutenberg.

I have heard that The Vapors' "Turning Japanese" and Violent Femmes' "Blister in the Sun" are about the same subject.

Last edited by damian; 01 April 2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11 April 2008, 04:20 PM

My favorite quote in the comments:

Quote:
“Mississippi” by Bob Dylan was written as a tribute to Jeff Buckley (it’s true, I saw it online) http://en.wikipedia.org /wiki/Mississippi_(Bob_Dylan_s ong)
I'm not sure which I find funnier - the fact that if you see it online, it's true, or the fact that they think wikipedia never has errors written in it's entries.
Old 26 April 2008, 09:27 PM

I always thought "Youre So Vain" By Carly Simon was about Warren Beatty and not mere specualtion. I find it odd that some would think it was about Mick Jagger considering he does back up vocals through a portion of the song!
Old 27 April 2008, 12:37 AM

Icon108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebobo View Post
I find it odd that some would think it was about Mick Jagger considering he does back up vocals through a portion of the song!
Why is that odd? It fits perfectly with the theme of the song -- he's so vain that he agrees to sing on it even though he thinks it's about him (or so cluelessly vain that he allows himself to be tricked into singing on it).

- snopes
Old 28 April 2008, 02:38 PM

Here's the latest from Carly Simon about "You're So Vain":

[As part of a charity auction a few years ago, Simon told the winning bidder, television executive Dick Ebersol, whom "You're So Vain" is about.] Is it time to let someone besides Dick Ebersol know?

Oh God, please don't make me go through this. . . . The thing is now, if I wanted to have fun with it, I could say it's just about anybody.

Did you tell Ebersol the truth?

Yes, I did. And there were people with him, too, and I didn't like that he brought people with him [to the auction]. But I said, listen, you absolutely have to go along with this: If I ever hear this come back to me, I am going to say it's not true.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042500924.html
Old 28 April 2008, 03:10 PM

How could they stick American Pie in with this big list of "OMG this one might be about a celebrity!!!" songs? American Pie really *is* a coded reference to several events in rock history, including but not limited to the Buddy Holly/Richie Valens plane crash, Bob Dylan's motorcycle crash ("the jester was in a sideline in a cast" line), and Altamont.

On the other hand, they should have but did not include Alanis Morrisette's "You Oughta Know", which is supposedly about Full House star Dave Coulet.
Old 28 April 2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
How could they stick American Pie in with this big list of "OMG this one might be about a celebrity!!!" songs? American Pie really *is* a coded reference to several events in rock history, including but not limited to the Buddy Holly/Richie Valens plane crash, Bob Dylan's motorcycle crash ("the jester was in a sideline in a cast" line), and Altamont.

On the other hand, they should have but did not include Alanis Morrisette's "You Oughta Know", which is supposedly about Full House star Dave Coulet.
Nitpick - Dave Coulier (I hate myself for knowing that!)
Old 28 April 2008, 03:56 PM

I've never understood why it's supposed to be vain for the subject of the song to think the song is about them, when it is about them... Paranoid might seem more reasonable perhaps.
Old 28 April 2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I've never understood why it's supposed to be vain for the subject of the song to think the song is about them, when it is about them... Paranoid might seem more reasonable perhaps.
You're so paranoid, you probably think this song is about you
And you're right...
Old 28 April 2008, 05:00 PM

Icon104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I've never understood why it's supposed to be vain for the subject of the song to think the song is about them, when it is about them
I think that's the "secret" to the song. It wasn't really *about* any one particular person; it was inspired by several people, all of whom are now left (vainly) wondering if the song was about them.

- snopes
Old 28 April 2008, 05:04 PM

It's not really accurate to call Mary Whitehouse a "Tipper Gore." Tipper Gore campaigned for labelling, not for the removing of material deemed objectionable.
Old 28 April 2008, 06:31 PM

And it's not very accurate to call that one a hidden meaning either, given that Mary Whitehouse is actually named in the lyrics, unlike Thatcher. (Well, "Whitehouse" anyway, but it's obvious who they mean from the context and when it was released.)