snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 10 December 2017, 02:40 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Who did that?
Just something I've inferred, through casual conversation. And Kim Davis. Remember Kim Davis? Perfect example.
Old 10 December 2017, 04:27 PM

This would not be the first time the Lord's Prayer has been amended. Several years ago the Roman Catholic Church added the last 2 sentences to it that have been used by the Protestants for centuries.
Old 10 December 2017, 06:48 PM

Thank you! That explains why the last few lines seemed so unnatural: my Catholicism lapsed over a decade ago. Apparently the version I grew up with was from the 1928 book of common prayer. I mean, who the heck begins with "our father, which art in heaven..." WHICH!?!? Heresy.
Old 11 December 2017, 12:12 AM

That's the Episcopalian version, not Catholic. The wiki article about the Lord's Prayer talks about lots of the translations. Semi-interesting. I must confess that I went to Catholic grade school, high school and college. For graduate school, I went to Southern Methodist University.
Old 11 December 2017, 05:54 AM

My parents, while too lazy to actually go to mass much, were both raised Catholic all the way and made me do a few rituals like the lords prayer daily (mainly out of guilt, they could have cared less though showed concerned when I showed I was leaning towards atheism/agnosticism) and I did do the major stuff (baptism, confession and confirmation).

I questioned the hell out of the Lord's Prayer since my mom had a kitschy plaque in her kitchen about bread, and "give us this day our daily bread", and when I asked my mom said "lead us not into temptation" was a reference to Biblical tests (sorry, I can't recall any offhand, but I seem to recall the old testament had a lot of people being tested by God in pretty awful ways -- Abraham's up-til-the -minute sacrifice of Isaac hit me so hard I basically lost all faith in Christianity at around 7) and the Catholic church represented the new covenant of the Catholic Church in the New Testament, eschewing the Old Testament while still respecting it.

My mom is no biblical or religious scholar, nor am I. It was a $5 plaque.
Old 11 December 2017, 07:59 AM

"I think what God meant to say was..." Got to admire his nerve.
Old 11 December 2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
"lead us not into temptation"

Yeah we can find it ourselves!
Old 11 December 2017, 01:37 PM

Read This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
It's not my place to say but I don't think the Catholic Church is implicitly or explicitly against any translation of the Bible that was done in good faith, as it were. The church uses certain versions in its vernacular masses but I don't think it claims (or has for a long time claimed) that its vernacular versions are somehow better than others.
The Roman Catholic Church does indeed say some versions are better than others. In addition to officially sanctioning certain translations, there is the not-so-small matter of what books to include, among other things.
Old 11 December 2017, 02:22 PM

When I taught Sunday School at a UU church, I needed a poster of the books of the Bible for one lesson (Biblical literacy, basically). I went to the "Christian Supply" superstore at the local mall, and they had nothing. The employee I was talking to suggested that I try a local Catholica store. I explained that wouldn't work, because I needed the poster list to align with our curriculum, and any list I got from a Catholica store* would use a different list. Judging from the employee's silence and the shocked look she gave me, she had no idea of the difference and thought I was being bigoted. I ended up making my own poster.

*I doubt the store in question would have any such thing anyway; it sells things like rosaries, crucifixes, and religious jewelry/figurines/decor.
Old 11 December 2017, 07:44 PM

Too bad Penn & Teller never put their "Books of the Bible Dart Board" up for sale. (They used it for a trick where, with help from the audience, they had to select a random Bible verse. After the book was determined by dart-tossing, chapter and verse were selected by giant dice dropped from the balcony into an inflatable wading pool.)