snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 13 July 2018, 04:47 PM

Personally, Facebook has NFBSKed up so many times that I don't understand why anyone would trust them, especially since they're explicitly excluding Infowars from their alleged crackdown on fake news.
Old 16 July 2018, 02:36 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
All the Good2Go insurance commercials where the main character says "I have a car, I just can't afford insurance". While this scenario does happen to some people, I can't believe it's so common that it's logical to use as the default in these commercials. Wouldn't "I can get a car, but can't afford insurance" be more common? Just how many people buy and keep cars without considering insurance costs?
Perhaps someone over at Good2Go reads this forum. They now have a new crop of commercials that show people with insurance suffering a financial squeeze because of all the money they spend on it. One, which seems like a parody of the original template, has a man shaving his head and saying "I have hair, I just can't afford a haircut!"
Old 16 July 2018, 05:15 PM

Fright

Wow, we're pretty darn powerful!
Old 16 July 2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
... now I see an ad for TGI Fridays that says a lot of chains in the US have been serving bad hamburgers "including us", and goes on to show ridiculous new over-the-top burgers like the one that has two buffalo wings skewered to the top. Was the quality of burgers at Fridays ever a big controversy?
Maybe they wanted to start selling some of these stupid OTT burgers which have another meal stuck to them (they're popular in the UK too at the moment), and they came up with the copy to distinguish themselves from the "boring burgers," and then somebody pointed out that the bad ones looked just like the ones they'd also been selling, and they were so attached to the copy that rather than drop it they thought they'd acknowledge that?

Those burgers annoy me, too, because I quite often fancy a burger if I'm eating in the pub, but the "ultimate" sort with bacon and egg and sausages and chicken and a whole extra smaller burger inside them in a stack that would be too high for Scooby Doo to eat are too big even for me, especially at this time of year; but their very presence makes the more sensible burgers look like bad value.

(One pub chain here a few years ago had quite a good chicken pie on the menu, but it was in some sort of stupid "ultimate, we dare you to eat all this" section on the menu, and if you ordered it you got a whole pie, of the size that would have served all five of us at a family meal. I could only eat about a third of it - I forced myself to eat half but literally would not have been physically able to eat the other half. And yet they wouldn't serve it in any smaller size. If they'd had the same thing on the menu but only half a pie, it would still have been a generous portion and I'd probably have ordered it quite a lot. But they didn't, so I never had it as I wasn't prepared to waste that much food. That seemed to me to be totally shooting themselves in the foot - if it was too big for me, it's going to be too big for most people, as I'm a big bloke with a decent appetite. It's not usual to get doggy bags in the UK either, for those wondering.)
Old 18 July 2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Wow, we're pretty darn powerful!
I have noticed the disappearance of ads after they have been complained about here. Now do I think it is because of our complaints? No but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the larger advertisement companies monitor chat rooms and on-line communities to see what people think of their ads. Even if isn't this particular community.
Old 18 July 2018, 02:35 AM

And now to complain about an ad.

There is an ad for "Pointless" which is played at pretty much every ad break. Now they are sort of pretending it is a new game show, which I guess it is except it is a copy of an English show which currently shown on a rival network. So I get they don't won't to acknowledge this but I am thinking most people would be aware of so it is kind of pointless*. But the ad consists of families watching the ad and shouting out the answers and jumping up and down and other reactions in slow motion , when they get the answer right.

Not only is the style of ad annoying the acting by the families is so bad... well . Why is the acting so bad? I have seen children in ads acting better then that.

Now I quite enjoy the English version of this ad and would be looking forward to the Australian version but the constant playing of this painfully bad ad is putting me off.

*Crikey that might be the name of the show!!
Old 19 July 2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I have noticed the disappearance of ads after they have been complained about here. Now do I think it is because of our complaints? No but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the larger advertisement companies monitor chat rooms and on-line communities to see what people think of their ads. Even if isn't this particular community.
I just wish that the "fresh cup of lead" water filter commercial and Skittles-pox commercial would both die. They've been running for years.
Old 19 July 2018, 02:45 AM

Royalty

There's a radio commercial for a vasectomy clinic which claims to be scalpel free and pain free .

Sadly it plays every commercial break so I get to hear it it 3 or 4 times an hour.
Old 19 July 2018, 03:37 AM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I just wish that the "fresh cup of lead" water filter commercial and Skittles-pox commercial would both die. They've been running for years.
Agreed, especially about the skittles-pox commercial. Who dresses like that anymore?
Old 19 July 2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
And now to complain about an ad.

But the ad consists of families watching the ad and shouting out the answers and jumping up and down and other reactions in slow motion , when they get the answer right.

Not only is the style of ad annoying the acting by the families is so bad... well . Why is the acting so bad? I have seen children in ads acting better then that.
Not only is the acting bad they are basically showing us what to do when we watch the show. Crikey we can shout out he answers? Crikey we can compete with our family? Gees thank you for telling us that. It's not like quiz shows are as old as television and it how we have always watched them.

But after I posted this I saw the old ad one more time and then they changed it. Actually they changed it twice.

In the first change the just remove the "families at home reaction" but left the other bits in. So you saw the host asking the questions and then the voice over man giving the answers. And then they changed it again so now you see come of the contestants answering*.

I think they are watching us. I am only half joking.

*I think.
Old 19 July 2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Agreed, especially about the skittles-pox commercial. Who dresses like that anymore?
It might depend if we are their target market or not. We get the skittle pox ads. I thinking that is aimed at teenagers and twenty somethings*(although the clothes might effect that). We don't get the "Cup of lead" ads but I can guess...maybe an urban legends website isn't their target audience either.

*I know kids today .
Old 19 July 2018, 11:34 AM

Icon84

There's a new radio ad for some business (a dentist office maybe?) where the potential patient cannot finish a sentence because the spokeswoman completes it for him. I think the thrust of the ad is that the place knows what you need but the ad, IMO, comes off as rude and somewhat condescending.
Old 20 July 2018, 02:07 AM

Mouse

I have yet to meet anyone who likes the SkittlePox ads, yet that ad keeps showing up, which must mean one thing: somehow it's convincing people to buy Skittles.

My theory is that it's one of Vladimir Putin's schemes. I haven't quite worked out his motivation. Maybe in the midst of all the poisonings and murders, he enjoys some trolling. He has agents buy Skittles by the gross so the company will keep making the ads. If we search all those old bunkers and silos, I bet they're stacked to the ceiling with bags of Skittles. As if it isn't bad enough that he doesn't run roughshod over the rights and lives of others, murders those who oppose him, and possibly interfered in US elections, he also promotes shitty commercials.
Old 20 July 2018, 05:02 PM

Ambulance

Has anyone mentioned the Mutual of Omaha commercial yet? Maybe itís just because the amount of time I spend watching broadcast television and the target demographic is older, but holy NFBSK there sure are a lot of uber-long life insurance commercials. Mutual of Omaha is the worst (though the one with the girl going "grandma, grandma I lost a tooth!" Is a close second).

Anyways, itís basically some contrived scenario with a bunch of grown-ass adults sitting at desks like school children (but not consciously so) raising their hands to ask questions from this annoyingly soft-spoken insurance salesman.
Old 20 July 2018, 05:23 PM

Haven't seen it yet.
Old 20 July 2018, 07:48 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I have yet to meet anyone who likes the SkittlePox ads, yet that ad keeps showing up, which must mean one thing: somehow it's convincing people to buy Skittles.

My theory is that it's one of Vladimir Putin's schemes. I haven't quite worked out his motivation. Maybe in the midst of all the poisonings and murders, he enjoys some trolling. He has agents buy Skittles by the gross so the company will keep making the ads. If we search all those old bunkers and silos, I bet they're stacked to the ceiling with bags of Skittles. As if it isn't bad enough that he doesn't run roughshod over the rights and lives of others, murders those who oppose him, and possibly interfered in US elections, he also promotes shitty commercials.
My theory is it was made by and for fetishists.
Old 20 July 2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I'm not a marketing expert, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter whether or not people like the ad, just as long as they remember the ad. Which people obviously do, because we're discussing it. And because the discussion involves Skittles, some of those people are going to get a craving for Skittles.
Old 20 July 2018, 09:46 PM

I think far too many think that remembering the ad is the only thing that matters. I would disagree. I have not had any Skittles since the first time I saw one of those ads. I see Skittles, I remember the ads, I get slightly grossed out, and I don't want any of them.

I'm sure they have improved their position with these ads - I think they have seen the numbers and know better than me. But I have to wonder if they had made an ad that people remembered and weren't grossed out by, they might have done even better. I can come up with ads from decades ago that I still remember, and either liked or didn't hate. "Where's the beef?", "Tastes great, less filling", "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz" - I still remember them well, and they aren't a complete turnoff. I would not refuse Wendy's, Miller Lite, or Alka Seltzer because of them (I'd refuse Miller Lite for entirely different reasons).
Old 23 July 2018, 02:36 PM

Teacher

Believe it or not, most ads exist purely for the purpose of reminding you that the product exists; that it is a component of your universe. Coca-Cola, Kleenex, and even Skittles don't have to explain the product or even make a solid claim - they just have to make a little noise to be heard over the shouting of everybody who might lure you away with something new. Consequently we have things like the Coke polar bears, which is just a few seconds of fluff, and not something you consciously remember when you reach for the Coke.

If you're a Skittles customer you may not really like the Skittles Pox ad, but its very existence keeps Skittles in mind, mostly on a subconscious level. That is, you don't necessarily remember the ad, you just remember you like Skittles. And if market research shows Skittles consumption steady or increasing when the ad is shown, then it stays on.

I have to admit I am slightly repulsed yet still amused by this one. If I did buy Skittles regularly, it wouldn't turn me off to them.
Old 24 July 2018, 12:52 PM

If people remember that Skittles exist but associate them with feeling nauseated, however, that doesn't seem likely to sell lots of them.