snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 16 January 2017, 03:02 PM

Glasses

I'll take Betsy-Tacy off your hands, if they're nice editions. I only have a few, and most of them are ex-library. Did you know there's a Betsy-Tacy convention? My sister and I joked about going.

Seaboe
Old 16 January 2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Mbravo, check out whether they treat nail polish the way they do paint: that is, if you dry it out first, you can toss it in the regular garbage (it's the solvent that makes it hazardous waste. IIRC, and if my knowledge is up to date, it contains acetone).

I've used the thinner trick, and it does work, but only if you do it at the right time (when the polish is just a hair too thick to use as is). I'm also a nail polish hoarder (and I don't even wear it any more ).

Seaboe
Good to know!! I talked to my mom and I think we have other things that need to get dropped off at the hazardous waste disposal (they do electronics recycling there as well and it's about time I cleared off my laptop that died four years ago ) but I'll use your method if I find one by itself later that needs to be individually tossed!

Sue- I know that feeling well!! My Nancy Drews have been in storage for ages now, though a few years ago I tried to give them a reread... I find it hard these days to read something a second time when I have at least a shelf of things I need to read (or at least give a one-chapter trial to before sending it along...), but at the same time I can't part with the things...
Old 16 January 2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Sue- I know that feeling well!! My Nancy Drews have been in storage for ages now, though a few years ago I tried to give them a reread... I find it hard these days to read something a second time when I have at least a shelf of things I need to read (or at least give a one-chapter trial to before sending it along...), but at the same time I can't part with the things...
I grabbed some of my favourite Nancy Drews from my parents' place and reread them. So! many! exclamation! marks! I think I'm now willing to let them go.

Oh, and there was a Bobbsey Twins book that I reread as well. Goodness, that was full of racism.
Old 17 January 2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
For thsoe curious: The total # of bottles I have (before elminating chunky/runny ones) is 36.
Only 36? What's the problem?
We have close to 100.
Old 17 January 2017, 12:00 PM

I have a paper cut across the pad of my right thumb, my mouse thumb.
Old 17 January 2017, 02:27 PM

Glasses

When I gave up my storage space, and thus had to either shelve or get rid of books, the series I chose to keep were Trixie Belden and Cherry Ames. Oh, and the Merriweather Girls*, but there are only 4 of them, and they date back to my mother's childhood.

I got rid of the other random series books I had (the Radio Boys, the Motor Boys).

Seaboe

*Oh, cool, these are now available electronically for free.
Old 17 January 2017, 02:41 PM

I remember Cherry Ames.
Old 17 January 2017, 03:25 PM

I still have all my Cherry Ames books, as well as The Dana Girls, Nancy Drew, Beverly Gray, Kay Tracey, Judy Bolton and a few others. Some were my mother's and my aunts the rest I was gifted with or collected over the years. Some I admit I've never even read, just added to the collection. It's really hard though to give any of them up. My sister has offered me shelf space (she has a finished basement that is unused) if it turns out I won't have enough space for them when we move so it looks like I may have dodged the "make a decision" bullet for now .
Old 17 January 2017, 06:32 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I remember Cherry Ames.
If I were to be strictly honest, I'd admit that the Sue Barton books are better, but I'm not collecting those. No, really. I mean it (I only have one lonely paperback).

Seaboe
Old 18 January 2017, 12:36 AM

My legs ache. I know I need more exercise, so I've resolved to not take the elevators at work as often. So today, I used the stairs all day. No elevator once, in a 4-story building.

Ow...
Old 18 January 2017, 02:33 AM

Really hurts to walk now... What did I do to myself?
Old 18 January 2017, 04:13 AM

Maybe some stretching would help? Does for me. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 18 January 2017, 11:21 AM

Woke up really cold. We usually keep our house temperature at 70 during the day and down to 67-68 at night. I went to go raise it to 70 thinking that for whatever reason I must be really feeling that two degrees right now... but a look at the thermostat revealed that while the heat was still set to 68, the temperature in the house was all the way down to 63. (And I'm the first one up, so it's not like someone else got up and lowered it to 63, besides the fact that when I saw it it was set to 68 and should have gone on somewhere in that time). I know 63 is comfortable room temperature to a lot of people (and for some reason feels different in different houses- in my boyfriend's townhome they keep their house at 62-64 and I'm usually fine there, so I don't know what to make of any of that) but it's just too cold for me in the morning when I need to get up and not be under blankets anymore...
Old 18 January 2017, 01:39 PM

My co-worker in the next cubicle thinks 75 is too cold. Wanted the bldg operator to turn up the heat in our area, even though the rest of us are fine. Won't use the space heater that we have cause she doesn't like the direct heat. Luckily the bldg guy is used to dealing with this kind of stuff.
Old 18 January 2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Maybe some stretching would help? Does for me. Hope you feel better soon.
Legs still hurt.

Knees and calves, mostly. I'm using elevators today. I do want to get more walking done, but not sure it's a good idea to try all stairs again today.
Old 18 January 2017, 01:47 PM

75 is too cold? In Toronto? That's crazy talk.

I keep my house between 60 and 65 during the day, turning down to 55 at night. I will go as high as 68 when my god children are over. 70 is the highest I will go; I only go there for a particular friend who is always cold at my house and my daughter who lives in Ecuador where it rarely drops below 50.

75 would be sweltering to me.
Old 18 January 2017, 02:51 PM

mbravo, is your furnace (or whatever heat source you have) working?

-- my house in winter routinely goes down to about 60 at night, sometimes less. It's usually considerably warmer in some places than others because the main heat, especially when I'm around and awake to feed it, is a wood stove; it may be in the low to mid 60's in the further corners of the office, but quite hot enough by the stove for me to go bask over there at intervals.

Except for intervals by the wood stove, temperatures in the 70's indoors in winter are way too hot for me.
Old 18 January 2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
mbravo, is your furnace (or whatever heat source you have) working?
Then you better run and catch it!!

Edit: thorny locust fed me the wrong set up line and ruined the joke.
Old 18 January 2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
75 is too cold? In Toronto? That's crazy talk.

75 would be sweltering to me.
Yup, I've got a fan blowing on my feet. It's been tough to regulate the building temp this winter with all the ups and downs in outside temp and the warm weather we have having right now.
Old 18 January 2017, 04:45 PM

If I was cold in an indoor space with a temperature of 75F, I would assume the problem was mine. I wouldn't expect my co-workers to work at a warmer temperature than that.
Closed Thread