snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 22 July 2010, 05:11 PM
duras

Default Horrible truck accident (may be disturbing)

If you're disturbed by car accidents do not watch.

What do you guys think? Real or staged?
Old 22 July 2010, 07:13 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by duras View Post
...What do you guys think? Real or staged?
I don't think that those are mutually exclusive. I think it can be, to some degree at least, both real and staged.

From the looks of it, I'd guess that the intent was to film either a different outcome, or a less extreme version of the actual outcome. The camera pan and zoom seems to make it pretty clear that the truck was the intended focus of attention.

My guess is that they either intended to film the truck appearing to have been driven aggressively and screeching to a halt abeam the wheelbarrow, or at worst skidding to a halt across the roadway.

I'm fairly confident that rollover actually happened, and that there were actually people in the back of the truck and not dummies or mannequins. From that, I can only presume that the rollover was not intended--what actor or stunt double would accept such an assignment?

It looks to me like the driver initiated a swerve early in the sequence, perhaps for dramatic effect. However, it also looks like the driver was not prepared for the feedback loop that follows the initial swerve. It could be that they were not familiar with the handling of the vehicle when the bed was heavily loaded. It could also be that the suspension was loose or out of adjustment, or that the tire pressures were not properly adjusted for the loading conditions.

Thanks, Bob "BoKu" K.
Old 22 July 2010, 07:39 PM

It looks real enough, the cameraman seems relatively calm seeing as what just happened a couple feet infront of him. The camera doesn't shake or move or jerk. It just kinda follows the action seemlessly. But I can't imagine its fake.
Old 22 July 2010, 07:48 PM

I have to agree. There's no reason to be filming that incidentally, no reason for the initial swerve. So it's likely this was a setup. Having read the previous post before viewing, it appeared to me as well that the person walking towards the wheelbarrow waited for his cue to do so, checked the camera was on him, and watched the vehicle coming down the road longer than would be likely as it wasn't doing anything interesting yet at that point.

So yes, the 'scene' was likely a setup. The 'result' probably less so.
Old 22 July 2010, 10:32 PM
duras

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdav1313 View Post
It looks real enough, the cameraman seems relatively calm seeing as what just happened a couple feet infront of him. The camera doesn't shake or move or jerk. It just kinda follows the action seemlessly. But I can't imagine its fake.
This is the primary reason I thought it could be faked. There was no reaction from the camera man, they did not shake or move at all, despite the fact that the truck seemed to be mere feet away and rolling toward them.

If it is a fake then it is a very good one, as I do not know of dummies that can reach out and try to break their fall as they go flying. I think with enough money, however, you could do anything.
Old 23 July 2010, 05:58 PM

I think the reaction of both the cameraman and the people flipped out of the truck is too nonchalant. If I was filming, I would have for cover or put down the camera and helped. If I flung out of the bed of a speeding truck, I don't think I would be getting up that quickly.
Old 23 July 2010, 06:10 PM

They seem to get up pretty quickly -- I would still be laying there moaning. I would like to see if the man that ended up under the truck gets up as non-chalantly as the others. He is damn lucky. They all are damn lucky.
Old 23 July 2010, 06:12 PM

Couldn't it be on a tripod? The whole time it's panning, it seems to be pretty straight. And it only shows a couple of seconds after the accident, no real time for reactions, the driver is still in the truck. And three men get up, but I'm not sure that was all of them.

Last edited by Latiam; 23 July 2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 23 July 2010, 06:28 PM

Ambulance

Out of all the bodies flung out of the truck, only three get up and move around after the crash, so the others might have been dummies.

I wonder if this wasn't a stunt staged by people who were dumb/poor/desperate enough to take their chances on surviving it unharmed.
Old 24 July 2010, 02:37 AM

Icon07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
Couldn't it be on a tripod? The whole time it's panning, it seems to be pretty straight...
I think you're right. Earlier, I thought it was a handheld, but when I watch it again it seems too steady for that, especially in the zooms. There's a bit of shakiness, but that might be because it's not a very good tripod setup and it's not being handled very smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Out of all the bodies flung out of the truck, only three get up and move around after the crash, so the others might have been dummies...
I suppose that must be a possibility, but that doesn't feel right to me. The bodies look too real. If they are dummies they would have to be rather well-made ones with good articulation at the major joints--and that would seem to be contradicted by the low-budget look of everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
...I wonder if this wasn't a stunt staged by people who were dumb/poor/desperate enough to take their chances on surviving it unharmed.
That is a very depressing possibility. I still think that the rollover wasn't in the original plan. But I guess there's not that much difference between "you ride in the back of the truck with no restraints or protection while he drives aggressively" and "you ride in the back of the truck with no restraints or protection while he makes it go out of control and maybe roll over."
Old 24 July 2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Redwood View Post
If I flung out of the bed of a speeding truck, I don't think I would be getting up that quickly.
If you landed right, or perhaps were padded by the other bodies in the truck I don't see why it's not plausible. Lots of bodies, lots of padding.

Also, I would think a natural reaction would be to get up if I could and see what's up with everyone else (assuming there are other people involved I cared about.)
Old 24 July 2010, 12:54 PM

Skull

This video is said to depict an accident that took place outside, I guess, a community center in Marcala, La Paz, Honduras. (Marcala is indeed in a hilly area, to the west of Tegucigalpa.) A news report holds that a 15-year-old girl was killed.

http://elmarcalino.blogspot.com/2010...accidente.html

Googling takes you to other sites with still photos and the video clip itself, but the description of the accident encountered at these sites seems to derive from the above blog (which lacks the video).

-- Bonnie
Old 24 July 2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
This video is said to depict an accident that took place outside, I guess, a community center in Marcala, La Paz, Honduras.
Here's a Google Translate link to that page in English.