snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 27 October 2014, 10:31 PM

Australia

Fit-bola - At the first sign of a temperature it emits a piercing screeching noise alerting anyone nearby - sends an urgent text to the CDC with geo-locator and paralyses the wearer by shocking them with a built-in taser.

It will of course require the wearer to have cold showers and avoid hot days, too much exercise or sexy thoughts for 21 days (or maybe 42 - out of an abundance of caution. Call it 6 months to be really safe).

Dropbear
Old 27 October 2014, 10:49 PM

The main issue is where you have to keep your phone so it gets a reliable temperature reading. Strapped to your forehead you pervs.
Old 28 October 2014, 01:43 AM

Australia

That phablet could be quite uncomfortable then.
Old 01 November 2014, 06:25 PM

http://violentmetaphors.com/2014/10/...ect-my-family/

I liked the tweet she quotes halfway down: "More Americans have been Batman than gotten Ebola".
Old 05 November 2014, 01:35 PM

Updates:
Ebola in Liberia may be coming under control.
The WHO continues to show that Guinea has a much slower increase in cases over its neighbors.
News out of Sierra Leone is more troubling:
Quote:
[cases appear] to be accelerating particularly in the rural areas surrounding the capital Freetown, the London Times reports. Compared with an average of 1.3 Ebola cases a day at the start of September, there were 12 new cases a day in late October, says the Africa Governance Initiative (AGI), an organization set up by former British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Transmission also appears to be increasing rapidly in the capital, Freetown, where the average number of daily cases is six times higher than two months ago.
There was an imported case in Mali. Contacts are being monitored and from radio reports I've heard it sounds like international relief agencies are on hand to assist.
Old 02 April 2015, 09:59 PM

Default Ebola Vaccine Appears Safe, Effective

Tests of an experimental Ebola vaccine have found that 100 percent of vaccinated people mounted a promising immune response and incurred no serious side effects, according to results published this morning in The New England Journal of Medicine. A large, international group of researchers report that between two studies, all 200 subjects in the United States, Switzerland, and Germany who were given the recombinant vesicular stomatitis virus-based vaccine (rVSV) vaccine developed an immune response that should be effective in warding off future infection.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...-trial/389399/

trigger warning on the photo.
Old 02 April 2015, 11:13 PM

Icon27

Now, given the prevalence of anti-vaxxing, the real question is how likely people are to take it...

... though I guess since it would be given out in 3rd world countries where that stupid trend hasn't latched on yet, I guess I shouldn't be terribly worried.
Old 02 April 2015, 11:28 PM

Is there really a prevalence of anti-vaxxers?
Old 02 April 2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
Now, given the prevalence of anti-vaxxing, the real question is how likely people are to take it...

... though I guess since it would be given out in 3rd world countries where that stupid trend hasn't latched on yet, I guess I shouldn't be terribly worried.
I think the main intent is to vaccinate healthcare workers who will be working with ebola patients, at least at first. I doubt there are too many anti-vaxers in the healthcare industry.
Old 02 April 2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
.. though I guess since it would be given out in 3rd world countries where that stupid trend hasn't latched on yet, I guess I shouldn't be terribly worried.
Actually, I'm quite sure anti-vaccinationism is way more prevalent in so-called third-world countries — but especially in west Africa. It's not a first-world problem. (I would cite but it's not that hard to find info on this topic by search.)
Old 02 April 2015, 11:36 PM

Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Is there really a prevalence of anti-vaxxers?
I have heard that a quite common rumor/UL in subsaharan Africa is that vaccines are actually a western plot because they cause cause sterility.

ETA: Here's a link to this sort of thing - http://www.irinnews.org/report/97781...cine-suspicion

Let me tell you - if you search "vaccines sterility Africa" you get some weird NFBSK. Probably don't need one of those words to get weird stuff, and it does not matter which one.
Old 03 April 2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams of Thinking Machines View Post
Unless a miracle happens something like a million West Africans will develop Ebola over the next few months.
Well, I guess a miracle must have happened. Not that we’re out of the woods yet but it seems much more likely the total will be less than 3% of that million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_v...in_West_Africa

Or, as erwins put it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
The more realistic prediction I've seen is something like 20k infected, but that prediction was from a few weeks ago. I'd guess it will be more than 20k, but much less than a million.
Old 03 April 2015, 02:15 AM

I was thinking about this the other day, and how glad I was to be wrong.
Old 03 April 2015, 07:24 AM

Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
I have heard that a quite common rumor/UL in subsaharan Africa is that vaccines are actually a western plot because they cause cause sterility.

ETA: Here's a link to this sort of thing - http://www.irinnews.org/report/97781...cine-suspicion
Neat article -- thank for sharing that. The other popular sub-Saharan polio vaccination myth was that it caused AIDS (debunked by Wired magazine and many, many, others). I also found this South African site about HPV vaccine myths:
Quote:
North West parents have allegedly received anonymous messages warning them not to vaccinate their daughters against the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV). Health officials have once again assured the public of the vaccine's safety.
And I think the link in Little Pink Pill's post in one of our anti-vaxxer threads bears repeating:
Quote:
Internationally, in parts of Asia and Africa, mistrust of vaccines is often tied to "Western plot" theories, which suggest that vaccines are ploys to sterilize or infect non-Western communities. Suspicion has existed for different infections and vaccines over the past 20 years.
{ snip }
One of the most striking instances of vaccine suspicion in Africa has concerned the polio vaccine. In 1999, British journalist Edward Hooper wrote The River: A Journey to the Source of HIV/AIDS. He speculated that the virus that causes AIDS transitioned from monkeys to humans via a polio vaccine.
{ snip }
Although scientists and medical scholars have provided plentiful evidence to discount Hooper's ideas, media attention has sparked conspiracy theories and concerns globally.
{ snip }
In 2003, religious leaders in three different Nigerian states claimed that the vaccines were contaminated with the virus that causes AIDS and sterilization and cancer-causing agents, despite tests confirming the vaccine's safety.
Brian
Old 10 May 2015, 07:17 AM

Ambulance In Liberia, Ebola outbreak is declared officially over

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...ficially-over/
Quote:
The worst Ebola outbreak in history is officially over in one of Africa's hardest hit countries, the World Health Organization announced Saturday.

Liberia, the West African nation where Ebola claimed the highest number of deaths in the largest outbreak since the virus emerged in 1976, has gone 42 days without any new Ebola cases, according to a statement released by the WHO.
Brian
Old 11 May 2015, 11:20 AM

Except now, there is a measles outbreak there due to all the kids who went unvaccinated during the epidemic. They can't catch a break!
Old 11 May 2015, 06:00 PM

After Nearly Claiming His Life, Ebola Lurked in a Doctor’s Eye

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/08/he...-eye.html?_r=0

The disease even changed his eye color from icy blue to a jade green. Fascinating what we still have yet to learn about Ebola.
Old 11 May 2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeze042 View Post
Except now, there is a measles outbreak there due to all the kids who went unvaccinated during the epidemic. They can't catch a break!
Yes, the news report I heard said that people avoided the measles vaccine due to confusion/poor communication that made them think the vaccine included the experimental Ebola vaccine.

It's devastating news, in particular in light of the news that measles destroys your body's immunity to past diseases. This news should be (not saying it will be, but it should be) the last nail in the anti-vax coffin. http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.VVDv8I5lCd8
Old 11 May 2015, 06:26 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
The disease even changed his eye color from icy blue to a jade green. Fascinating what we still have yet to learn about Ebola.
Great now everyone's going to want ebola for the cute eyes.
Old 11 May 2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
It's devastating news, in particular in light of the news that measles destroys your body's immunity to past diseases. This news should be (not saying it will be, but it should be) the last nail in the anti-vax coffin. http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.VVDv8I5lCd8
The full paper that the New Scientist article references is at http://www.sciencemag.org/content/348/6235/694.full