snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 14 August 2013, 03:29 PM

Default Georgia teenager denied transplant

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=19936940

A Georgia teenager needs a new heart but family says low grades and trouble with the law have kept him off the transplant list.

Did somebody spoof ABC? This can't be real.
Old 14 August 2013, 03:38 PM

More accurately, he's been kept off the transplant list because his pattern of behavior made the transplant committee doubt that he could be counted on to comply with the medication and treatment regimen necessary to a successful outcome.
Old 14 August 2013, 03:53 PM

I didn't realize that set of conditions was necessary. That might preclude someone older or anyone who needs extra help for something they can't do themselves.
Old 14 August 2013, 03:54 PM

Sorry, but I still question the decision if it is indeed based on poor grades and trouble with the law.
Old 14 August 2013, 03:57 PM

That was the twist the parents put on it but the hospital seems to be indicating a history of someone not taking their medicine or going to medical appointments. It's a very short article but it certainly seems to suggest there have been ongoing issues with the teen and the family in terms of continuity of care.
Old 14 August 2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambubba View Post
I didn't realize that set of conditions was necessary. That might preclude someone older or anyone who needs extra help for something they can't do themselves.
Do you mean older than this boy, or elderly? I doubt elderly people make the heart transplant list.

ETA: Looks like they changed their minds.

From that link:

Quote:
Adult transplant surgeon Dr. David Dean from Piedmont Healthcare told WXIA that a patient said to have a "history of non-compliance" would usually mean they have a history of drugs or alcohol use or don't follow doctor orders.
Old 14 August 2013, 07:06 PM

If there is truly a history of noncompliance, then he shouldn't get on the heart list until a set period of compliance is demonstrated. Someone who will not attend doctor’s appointments or take medication regularly is not a viable candidate for transplant of a human heart... a scarce commodity. Period.
Old 14 August 2013, 07:20 PM

Not that I have any evidence either way, but I hope the reversal is a result of reevaluation determining that he does meet the criteria and not a case of a reversal due to fear of repercussions to the hospital.
Old 26 August 2013, 01:24 PM

Follow up:

Teen gets heart transplant after being denied.

Quote:
A 15-year-old Atlanta boy received a new heart on Tuesday evening, just 10 days after his family complained he was unfairly rejected for a transplant because of past failure to take medicine and show up for doctors' appointments, local media reported.
I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 26 August 2013, 02:05 PM

Much as I'd like to believe that the decision was reversed because the review board was persuaded that (despite the patient's medical history) he would not be a poor risk, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that it was also influenced by the hospital wanting to head off legal concerns and avoid being tried in the court of public opinion.
Old 26 August 2013, 08:08 PM

Well court of public opinion worked for the young girl with the lung transplant, may as well try it for all patients.
Old 26 August 2013, 09:07 PM

Baseball

Helen Campbell was seeking wider awareness of organ transplants rather than getting her transplant done.

Her challenges were about finding a suitable match, and happily, a match was found.
Old 04 October 2013, 12:07 PM

The latest article brings a smile to my face.

Many happy years to you!
Old 04 October 2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Stokes told Moore he had gotten into trouble after some fights at school. He said he forgives the hospital for judging him.
They judged him as a candidate for a heart transplant. They judge all potential recipients. It's their job.
Old 04 October 2013, 02:24 PM

May as well go ahead and disband them at this point, just put each candidate out on the news and let people text in to vote.. Seems to be the way we are going at this point; do you have a sympathetic story? You get your organ.. Do you not? Sorry sucks to be you.

Protip: it helps if you are cute or have a hard luck story (beyond, of course, having end-stage organ disease).
Old 04 October 2013, 02:37 PM

Would it be like American Idol where the result is based entirely on voting? Or like Dancing with the Stars where we add the judges scores to the audience voting?

My suggestion is that we just auction the organs off to the highest bidder and the family of the sick person can crowd-source the money needed to outbid others.
Old 01 April 2015, 11:46 PM

Default Teen Heart Transplant Recipient Dies in Fatal Police Car Chase

http://now.snopes.com/2015/04/02/anthony-stokes/

Quote:
A Georgia teen who received a heart transplant less than two years ago has died in a car accident while fleeing police, according to officials.

Anthony Stokes, 17, was driving a car that matched the description of a car used to flee a home burglary, in which a masked person allegedly shot a gun at an 81-year-old woman who was home watching television, Roswell Police spokeswoman Officer Lisa Holland told ABC News.

When officers tried to pull the vehicle over, the driver allegedly refused to stop, and they chased him, she said.

"The car lost control at an intersection, ran over a curb, hit a pedestrian and ran into big, metal pole," Holland said.

Stokes died Tuesday night from injuries sustained in the crash.
Old 02 April 2015, 01:37 AM

Maybe we'll learn that letting trained medical professionals pick suitable candidates is a better method than judging potential organ transplants based on their sob stor- no, no we won't. I'm sure all the people who died because they didn't get the heart that young man threw away had a pretty damn good story, too.
Old 02 April 2015, 03:19 AM

Where does the article or any of the articles linked say that it wasn't a bunch of trained medical professionals who made the decision to back-pedal on the initial denial?
Old 02 April 2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
Maybe we'll learn that letting trained medical professionals pick suitable candidates is a better method than judging potential organ transplants based on their sob stor- no, no we won't. I'm sure all the people who died because they didn't get the heart that young man threw away had a pretty damn good story, too.
He was on a donor list, he received a heart. What are they supposed to do after that? Police his every move as he grows up, force him to attend college and get straight A's and then settle into a middle class job with the wife and kids because those are the only people who deserve transplants?

Yeah, it sucks that this happened, and it sucks I guess that someone else didn't get the heart instead, but next in line is next in line.