snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 17 July 2015, 01:53 PM

Icon23 Bacon-Flavored Seaweed May Be Your Eggs’ New Best Friend

What grows quickly, is packed with protein, has twice the nutritional value of kale and tastes like bacon? The answer, according to scientists at Oregon State University, is a new strain of seaweed they recently patented. Dulse is a form of edible seaweed that grows wild along the Pacific and Atlantic coastlines. It’s harvested and commonly used by people in dried form as a cooking ingredient or nutritional supplement.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/bacon-fla...234818161.html
Old 17 July 2015, 02:18 PM

But does it have the same mouth-feel as bacon? Taste is not the only reason bacon is so popular, the crunchy mouth-feel is part of the experience. The popularity of a BLT is due to the cool crisp mouth-feel of lettuce and tomato combined with the savory crunchy mouth-feel of bacon.
Old 17 July 2015, 02:40 PM

Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
But does it have the same mouth-feel as bacon? Taste is not the only reason bacon is so popular, the crunchy mouth-feel is part of the experience. The popularity of a BLT is due to the cool crisp mouth-feel of lettuce and tomato combined with the savory crunchy mouth-feel of bacon.
The article did say that it would be cooked like bacon so I imagine is would have a crunchy mouth-feel even if not exactly like bacon.

dewey
Old 17 July 2015, 03:05 PM

I love nori, so I'm not sure I want to eat a seaweed that doesn't taste like, well, seaweed. As for cooking it like bacon, wouldn't frying it break down any nutritional elements?
Old 20 July 2015, 12:59 AM

Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
I love nori, so I'm not sure I want to eat a seaweed that doesn't taste like, well, seaweed. As for cooking it like bacon, wouldn't frying it break down any nutritional elements?
Certainly mineral content would not be affected. As for vitamins and protein, much depends on the extent of the cooking. For quite a few foods, their nutrients are more readily accessible to the body if the food is cooked appropriately.

As for mouth-feel, there is the crunchiness of bacon, if cooked to crunchiness, but also there is the fat content. That is a big part of the appeal of bacon. Of course, as one becomes accustomed to less-fat foods, one's desire for fat can be greatly reduced. For instance whole milk tastes wrong and unappealing to me now that I have been drinking skim when I drink milk for so long. I would think this seaweed would be particularly useful in adding bacon flavor to other dishes, such as hamburgers, salads, casseroles, etc.