snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 30 July 2014, 11:36 AM

Default "Star Trek" & "Planet of the Apes" Comic Crossover Planned

We bet you never saw this one coming. IDW Publishing and BOOM! Studios are joining forces to present the crossover comic book event of the year: Star Trek/Planet of the Apes.

http://www.startrek.com/article/kirk...amn-dirty-apes
Old 30 July 2014, 12:53 PM

I... somehow thought that'd already been done, possibly in one of those old Dell or Gold Key comics from the 1960's. Not with anything like certainty, but when I saw the topic, I thought it was just a rediscovery, not something new.

Weird.
Old 30 July 2014, 02:30 PM

Baseball

I had a Star Trek comic in the mid '70s with the away team beaming down to a planet inhabited by apes. (it may have been a reissue of the one you remember from the '60s)

It was not the Planet of the Apes (official) that was being shown in films and on McDonald's glasses, but a planet inhabited by Apes who ruled over people (all similarities are purely coincidental).

I was convinced they had found the Planet of the Apes until my cousin (3 years older and a spoil sport if I even knew one) positively proved to me that they hadn't.
Old 30 July 2014, 03:09 PM

Did your cousin prove it by pointing out that the planet of the apes was Earth all along?
Old 30 July 2014, 03:13 PM

Baseball

No, he did it by pointing out that all the apes in the book had names vastly different than those in the film and on the glasses.

He was a know-it-all and loved to show me up.

But, I was 8 or 9 at the time.
Old 30 July 2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
I don't know how credible this is. I can only think that someone is really hard up for ideas.
This is far from the first time Star Trek has had an unusual crossover, so I don't think this is unlikely. There have been Star Trek cross overs with X-Men, DC's Legion of Superheroes, and Doctor Who. I think there have been more than that, but I'm not positive. Some of the comics I have read seemed like they expected some knowledge of different '60s TV shows, but I don't know for sure what ones.
Old 30 July 2014, 05:45 PM

Which PotA? Classic, Burton or Serkiseque?
Old 30 July 2014, 05:52 PM

Shout

Cue William Shatner ... "KOOOOOOOOOOONG!"

Old 30 July 2014, 06:14 PM

Why is a crossover like this so hard to believe?

Star Trek had not one but two crossovers with the X-Men! (ToS and NextGen)
Old 30 July 2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Why is a crossover like this so hard to believe?
Because the facial appliances the ape actors would wear are not flexible enough for a proper make-out session?
Old 31 July 2014, 06:36 AM

I suppose that they could do it as an alternate world story. A planet where apes, such as chimps, gorillas and bonobos evolved to be the dominant species instead of humans. Although, I think that might have before, elsewhere... Come to think of it, it has. Monkey Planet the Pierre Boulle book that inspired all the POTA films classic and rebooted, is about exactly that.

Just one slightly OT question. I finally got to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night. The apes, especially the chimps, seem to be extremely fast, agile and strong. I have never seen an ape in real life - a few species of monkey, but not apes. Are they really that fast and agile? I realise that the film makers could have enhanced their abilities for dramatic purposes, and to make them seem scary.
Old 31 July 2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
Just one slightly OT question. I finally got to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night. The apes, especially the chimps, seem to be extremely fast, agile and strong. I have never seen an ape in real life - a few species of monkey, but not apes. Are they really that fast and agile? I realise that the film makers could have enhanced their abilities for dramatic purposes, and to make them seem scary.
Gibbons come pretty close in the agility department: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ARmXWjLoU