snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 02 April 2014, 03:47 PM

I took it to mean, "Oi! She's MINE!" I was wondering why he was so keen to advertise that he lived up to that redneck stereotype as well.
Old 02 April 2014, 05:26 PM

I actually found humour in that one. mainly because I've been on the receiving end of some rather stern looks when I met a girls father. In reality it's a right of passage I think. as young men we were hassled by fathers, mostly teasing in all good fun. I've even had a father sit there cleaning his hunting rifle while I picked her up and he was just finishing up when I returned. obviously he did something else during the 4 hours we were out, but it was a not-so-subtle way of saying "Hey... She's my daughter, I'm going to protect her. If you hurt her, you will get hurt..." The meme plays into the over-generalization that "no-one is good enough for my daughter". to be fair, in that sense it's one of the few memes that actually get the point of over-the-top humour.
Old 02 April 2014, 05:31 PM

If my dad had done anything remotely like that to me, I would have been absolutely furious and mortified. I am no one's property. You do not treat me like property. I do not care how "funny" you think it may be.

Thankfully, my father was extremely level headed, and I didn't date much. He trusted me to pick my own boyfriends, gave me advice when things went wrong, and otherwise stayed out of it.
Old 02 April 2014, 05:32 PM

It also plays into sexist ideas about -- well, I was going to say girls and women, but really, it plays into sexist ideas about boys and men, too.

ETA: You'll notice memes about mothers feeling no one is good enough for their sons are 1) less frequent and 2) less likely to imply ownership or include threats of violence (even veiled/joking ones).
Old 02 April 2014, 05:36 PM

It's one thing to be concerned about the kind of company that your kid keeps. I would expect any parent to want to know a little about a new friend of their kid before leaving the kid alone with the friend.

It's a whole another thing to act as some sort of sentinel to your daughter's vagina
Old 02 April 2014, 05:41 PM

Yeah, I don't mind humor based on parents' not liking/trusting a specific friend/date of their child's, even for vague reasons, so long as it avoids the sexual ownership angle and the parents aren't praised/rewarded for being jerks about it.
Old 03 April 2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
And hypocritical. If you have a daughter, you've presumably dated someone else's daughter. Why is it OK for you and the woman you slept with but not for your daughter?
Because you're afraid boys today are going to have the same crummy attitude about girls that you had when you were their age.
Old 03 April 2014, 03:50 PM

And replaced with a different crummy attitude about girls.
Old 03 April 2014, 03:54 PM

Different aspects of the same crummy attitude, maybe.
Old 04 April 2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
I'm annoyed when any normal article of clothing suddenly gets associated with a specific group.
Like Brown Shirts, Black Hats or Jack Boots.
Old 04 April 2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
I've even had a father sit there cleaning his hunting rifle while I picked her
Honestly that'd be the last time I'd see her, entirely because her father is a grade-A lower intestinal orifice. I get not wanting your kid hurt, but an adult just has a talk with you. Telling me that you'll hunt me down if she cries? Congrats, you've achieved your goal of scaring off your kid's friends.
Old 04 April 2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Like Brown Shirts, Black Hats or Jack Boots.
Surely Browncoats are exempt, yes?
Old 04 April 2014, 03:20 PM

damian could be a purple-belly for all we know.
Old 08 April 2014, 10:27 AM

Anybody come across the Vindictive Girls meme?
http://www.quickmeme.com/Vindictive-Girls/

What a paranoid, ridiculous little meme. Oh, girls are laughing! They must be making mockery of men!

It's a nice photo of some young girls being friendly together, so naturally it has to be about how women are terrible.
Old 08 April 2014, 03:21 PM

Maybe they all just ate salad.
Old 08 April 2014, 04:04 PM

Nah, salads are only humorous when you eat them alone.
Old 08 April 2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
Did people say these things before there were handheld electronics? As in, the kids who preferred to read books or play chess? Did we get on their cases too?
Oh yeah, I was gently chastised in school for preferring to read or draw rather than play with the other kids. I avoided sports or any games with projectiles because my poor depth perception made it quite hazardous and I had my glasses broken and nose bloodied a number of times by stopping a ball with my face. Swings were at a premium and I didn't have the speed or status to claim one at recess, and I've been afraid of teeter-totters since falling off one as a toddler.

My husband (who was bullied very badly) had a teacher who wrote in his report card comments "You're a good kid, but remember that books aren't the only friends you should have."
Old 08 April 2014, 04:15 PM

How about yogurt then? I know Jamie Lee Curtis eats yogurt with other people around.
Old 08 April 2014, 05:29 PM

I got in a huge amount of trouble once because I whipped out a book and started reading during intermission when my grandma took me to the theatre. I enjoyed the show, but it was also a really, really good book ( I didn't quite get that it was just a little inappropriate). I was one of those kids with my face constantly buried in a book (I even volunteered at school libraries from grade six until I graduated) and it was seen as a symptom of me being anti social and hiding from the world. It partly was, since I was pretty badly bullied, but I also really liked reading.

I had a ridiculous moment in middle school where I was accused by a teacher of volunteering for a lunch time art project to get out of our 15 minute reading block. I argued that I not only read during my reading block, but also during lunch, recess, activity time, on the hour-long bus ride to and from school, and occasionally during classes when I wasn't supposed to. Apparently that was further proof that I was reading for the wrong reasons, and I was sent back to class (before being turned around again with a note from my teacher, who was thrilled that I wanted to do something social).

I probably would have been buried in devices if I'd been born a little later. My mind always needed something to distract it that didn't involve other people, and a smart phone would have given me even more options and reading material, just like it does now. I do wish I'd been more social and physically active growing up, but lack of electronic devices in the 80s and 90s didn't save me from that. I just found other outlets.
Old 08 April 2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
I got in a huge amount of trouble once because I whipped out a book and started reading during intermission when my grandma took me to the theatre. .
Back before I was self-employed, I used to sometimes find people got annoyed at me for reading during lunch break. I was supposed, instead, to be taking part in, or at least listening to, their conversation.

As their conversation consisted mostly of gossip about people I didn't know, with occasional asides into issues of fashion I wasn't interested in or political views on issues about which I knew they'd be even more ticked off at me if I opened my mouth, I strongly preferred the book.
Closed Thread