snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 01 April 2014, 07:43 PM

Default Student gets into all eight Ivy League colleges

Quote:
In the next month, Kwasi Enin must make a tough decision: Which of the eight Ivy League universities should he attend this fall?

A first-generation American from Shirley, N.Y., the 17-year-old violist and aspiring physician applied to all eight, from Brown to Yale.
http://www.wwltv.com/news/Student-ge...253303491.html
Old 02 April 2014, 05:43 AM

Havard application fee is $75. Assuming the other universities are similar, that's $600 just for the fees, not counting the time to complete all the applications. Odd goal.
Old 02 April 2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
Havard application fee is $75. Assuming the other universities are similar, that's $600 just for the fees, not counting the time to complete all the applications. Odd goal.
Most people don't apply to all of them, but it's common practice to apply to more than one. Even with an excellent application, there is absolutely no guarantee that a highly selective school will admit you. If you want to go to a school of that caliber, it's only reasonable to apply to at least a few of them, to increase your chances, even though they aren't free. Compared to all the other education related expenses you'll be facing, that investment to have a better shot at a good school is sensible enough.

Paying to apply to 8 schools isn't unusual, it's just that normally they wouldn't be all 8 Ivies like that. Normally someone would apply to a few really good schools that they may not get into, a few less ambitious schools that they probably will get into, and a couple of safety schools that they know they'll get into, just in case. It sounds like this kid applied to 11 schools total, so he did at least have a safety school.

Also unusual, because while those 8 schools are all great schools, it's not like they're precisely the #1 through #8 schools in the nation. There are good schools that aren't in the Ivy League among the top schools. So most people who aren't doing it as a stunt would have some more of the other schools in there that might appeal to them more than every last Ivy.
Old 02 April 2014, 02:25 PM

I applied to 7 grad schools, when I was applying. I think four of them were Ivies. It cost me, with the GRE testing fees and whatnot, about $750. But I think beyond the big 3 (Harvard, Yale, and Princeton), the Ivies are more of a sports league than a "best schools" league.
Old 02 April 2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I applied to 7 grad schools, when I was applying. I think four of them were Ivies. It cost me, with the GRE testing fees and whatnot, about $750. But I think beyond the big 3 (Harvard, Yale, and Princeton), the Ivies are more of a sports league than a "best schools" league.
What? No love for Cornell, Columbia, and Dartmouth?

Anyway, I heard from WCBS that he also got into Binghamton. I wrote in the comments section that he should forget the Ivies and go there.
Old 02 April 2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
But I think beyond the big 3 (Harvard, Yale, and Princeton), the Ivies are more of a sports league than a "best schools" league.
All 8 of them are in the top 20 schools nationally. They're clearly all among the best, it's just that there are other good schools mixed in that a normal person would consider applying to rather than all 8.
Old 02 April 2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
Anyway, I heard from WCBS that he also got into Binghamton. I wrote in the comments section that he should forget the Ivies and go there.
And SUNY Geneseo, IIRC.
Old 02 April 2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
And SUNY Geneseo, IIRC.
Well, yeah, but let's be reasonable here. The kid wants to study medicine, not cows
Old 02 April 2014, 05:53 PM

Yeah, that one struck me as odder than Binghamton.
Old 02 April 2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Most people don't apply to all of them, but it's common practice to apply to more than one. Even with an excellent application, there is absolutely no guarantee that a highly selective school will admit you.

... It sounds like this kid applied to 11 schools total, so he did at least have a safety school.
I applied to 4 schools, including one safety school. If I had not had mono at the beginning of my senior year, I would done the same as many of my classmates and gone for early decision.

That said, probably part of the main goal is the aid package
Quote:
Cohen says he's "sitting in a very good place right now I think he can negotiate the very best financial aid package he can get" at his top-choice school. "Almost any of them would do anything for this type of candidate," Cohen says.
Maybe he'll be one of those students who graduates without any school debt.
Old 02 April 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
That said, probably part of the main goal is the aid package Maybe he'll be one of those students who graduates without any school debt.
I wouldn't doubt it. We don't know a lot about his parents from the article, but they're both nurses living on Long Island, so they may be solidly middle class. But Harvard, at least, is very generous with financial aid, and some of the others are quite good as well. Harvard will basically expect zero contributions from households earning under $65k, and households under $150k it phases in from 0 to 10% of their income.
Old 02 April 2014, 10:44 PM

I applied to one school (McGill, I suspect the closest Canada comes to an Ivy league school). I think he should try there when the time comes for medical school. I've been given to understand it's rather good .
Old 02 April 2014, 11:00 PM

I don't think most people would think to consider an international university for a highly regulated professional degree that needs to meet specific licensing requirements in the country they intend to practice in. However, I looked it up and apparently Canada is an exception, since the Canadian medical schools all meet the US requirements. Odd, since you practice teh socialized medicine up there, mostly filling out the death panel paperwork and such.

McGill is reputable, but it's also a publicly funded school and Canadians get priority admission.
Old 03 April 2014, 12:39 PM

Nearly every big state university has at least one topic in which it's stronger than the Ivies, or at least as strong. Depending on what he wants to study, there might actually be a perfectly good reason for him to apply to SUNY-Binghamton etc. Of course, I admit to being a bit cynical about the quality of education an undergrad is really likely to get at most of the Ivies. Most anyone who can get into any of them (much less all eight) is probably capable of getting into other excellent schools that, while less glamorous, are more conducive to learning.
Old 03 April 2014, 01:06 PM

In what way aren't the Ivies conducive to learning?
Old 03 April 2014, 01:32 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin' Dave View Post
Nearly every big state university has at least one topic in which it's stronger than the Ivies, or at least as strong. Depending on what he wants to study, there might actually be a perfectly good reason for him to apply to SUNY-Binghamton etc. Of course, I admit to being a bit cynical about the quality of education an undergrad is really likely to get at most of the Ivies.
My sister had a grad student friend who'd gone to Harvard (or possibly Princeton) as an undergrad in the early 80s and she was very dismissive of the quality of her education from there; she thought the school coasted on its reputation.
Old 03 April 2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
What? No love for Cornell, Columbia, and Dartmouth?
There is a distinct difference in reactions between telling someone you went to Harvard, Yale, or Princeton and telling someone you went to Cornell, Columbia, or Dartmouth. Meanwhile, you might get a similar Harvard, Yale, or Princeton-style reaction if you said you went to MIT. And I think that reflects a whole lot of things.

But what is a top school is about more than prestige and name recognition, of course. And the Ivies are better at positioning their graduates for success in many ways, as opposed to necessarily providing the best education. You might learn more at a small liberal arts college where the faculty can give you lots of one-on-one attention, but you might also have a harder time finding a job than the Ivy Leaguer.

The world is full of very savage inequalities; this is one of them.
Old 03 April 2014, 03:44 PM

Police

Quote:
There is a distinct difference in reactions between telling someone you went to Harvard, Yale, or Princeton and telling someone you went to Cornell, Columbia, or Dartmouth. Meanwhile, you might get a similar Harvard, Yale, or Princeton-style reaction if you said you went to MIT.
I would expect more from the Cornell, Columbia, or Dartmouth college graduate as I'd expect the Harvard, Yale, Princeton (less so) graduate to have gotten in via their parents and/or other connections instead of being an exemplary student. MIT would be the same as CCD. Probably no fairer than the other prejudices about colleges of course.
Old 03 April 2014, 04:04 PM

At least for me, Ivy undergraduate conjures images of spoiled rich kids who party for four years between leaving prep school and being able to tap their trust funds.
Old 03 April 2014, 04:12 PM

There were plenty of spoiled kids partying and spending their parents' money at the state school I attended.