snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 20 September 2013, 04:04 PM

Default In interview, Pope Francis sets a new direction for the church

Story here

Quote:
Yes, there is now no doubt that Pope Francis is new, different, reformist and open. His papacy marks a clear if quiet break with the public emphasis of so many church leaders over the last two decades, particularly in the United States. All this became clear in his interview-heard-round-the-world with La Civilta Cattolica, the Italian Jesuit journal.
Quote:
Francis responded plainly in the interview. “We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible,” he said. “I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that. But when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context. The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time.”
He continued: “The church’s pastoral ministry cannot be obsessed with the transmission of a disjointed multitude of doctrines to be imposed insistently. . . . We have to find a new balance; otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel.”
Old 20 September 2013, 04:11 PM

Now a Catholic can vote for a Democrat and not be excommunicated.

ETA: for those who think I am being facetious:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3224433.html
Old 20 September 2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
“He has not changed anything doctrinal,” said Father James Martin, editor-at-large of America, the Jesuit magazine that published the interview in English. “But he is encouraging us to shift our priorities from hot button issues to God’s mercy.
(bolding mine)

This is what's important - while I am not a Catholic, and most protestants don't believe Catholics are anything but a cult, I do have Catholic friends, and some of our issues and concerns are the same. You got the "go through the motions" and "hey I really AM one!" people in both sides. In the ""AM one!" category, I had a good conversation with a fellow co-worker. Down at the bottom, where the the Pope is headed, we aren't very different. I think this is a good move.

(My church took a listing of "don't do's" out of our church stance and we left it with "should not sin". Those who said they didn't do a thing on the list so they were OK with all the other stuff they did might have had a problem with that.)
Old 20 September 2013, 04:30 PM

Some Protestants believe that Catholicism is a cult. I do not think the majority of Protestants believe that.
Old 21 September 2013, 01:37 AM

Soapbox

Quote:
We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods.

Are you listening Evangelicals??? I've never heard y'all say a whole lot on birth control, but Lord knows you obsess on what consenting adults do in their bedrooms, and abortion. Enough already!
Old 21 September 2013, 01:59 AM

Tantrum

If phone calls to a local radio station's show this afternoon are any indication, the local hardcore conservative catholics are just about ready to have strokes.

A couple of them expressed doubts about this pope's legitimacy.
Old 21 September 2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Some Protestants believe that Catholicism is a cult. I do not think the majority of Protestants believe that.
And even fewer Protestant theologians. Mainstream Protestants would need to get pretty creative with history in order to disentangle their own religious traditions with Catholicism. And be rather pedantic to draw a great line in the sand and ignore how big the similarities are and how minor the differences. Was Christianity just one big cult for approximately a thousand years?
Old 21 September 2013, 03:30 AM

Blow Your Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
If phone calls to a local radio station's show this afternoon are any indication, the local hardcore conservative catholics are just about ready to have strokes.

A couple of them expressed doubts about this pope's legitimacy.
Seriously?! Have any of them demanded to see his birth certificate?
Old 21 September 2013, 12:32 PM

Borg

A conspiracy of Jesuits with Rosicrucians, Knights Templar, and robot clones of Che Guevara would be almost enough to make Catholicism interesting.
Old 21 September 2013, 01:04 PM

This sounds like Pope Francis is trying to turn back the clock to the the Church I grew up in. The '60s saw a lot of positive changes in the Church and I'm not sure when that all seemed to stop but it certainly had a lot to do with when the Church started focusing in so obsessively on abortion and contraception.
Old 21 September 2013, 01:12 PM

Roll eyes

Yeah that good ol' Church of the 60's. Only hopefully one with less coverup and more prosecution of crimes against children. (More Rosicrucians wouldn't hurt either but I assume the conspiracy is already taking care of that.)
Old 21 September 2013, 01:16 PM

The point is there was a lot of progress within the Church in the '60s. Somewhere along the line that stalled and seemed to go backwards and definitely became a less welcoming place for women. The Church I grew up in was almost radical in comparison to what it has become. I keep expecting them to tell women they need to cover their heads again and to start conducting the mass in Latin.
Old 21 September 2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Personally I go with George Carlin's belief that the only difference between a religion and a cult is the number of followers.
Old 21 September 2013, 03:44 PM

Pretty much, I've heard various definitions as to the difference between a mainstream religion and a cult but most of the time it boils down to "It is not as large and socially accepted".

Most of the time I heard "It takes your money" or "it's dangerous" or "It's difficult to leave" when referring to a cult, but all three of those can apply to different mainstream religions.
Old 21 September 2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
Personally I go with George Carlin's belief that the only difference between a religion and a cult is the number of followers.
All religious are cult except for yours and those big enough to be a threat to yours. In the end it comes down to the number of followers.
Old 21 September 2013, 04:19 PM

It's tough for me to get too enthused over this. They aren't backing down from any of the positions on these things, just not emphasizing them as much. It strikes me as similar to if a White Supemacist group decided to emphasize their positions on family and having cookouts. Doesn't change the nature or effect of the beliefs.
Old 21 September 2013, 04:38 PM

I like what this Pope Francis has to say and how he acts from what I read. That in no way means that I agree with the Church and its sects. I think they have a long ways to go, but this Pope is a start.
Old 21 September 2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
I like what this Pope Francis has to say and how he acts from what I read. That in no way means that I agree with the Church and its sects.
What do you mean by "its sects"?
Old 21 September 2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
All religious are cult except for yours and those big enough to be a threat to yours. In the end it comes down to the number of followers.
Unless, of course, you have an inner faith that doesn't make you fear or distrust everyone who doesn't believe the way you do.
Old 21 September 2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by "its sects"?
A sect is a subgroup of a religious, political or philosophical belief system. Another description would be a denomination of the Catholic Church.