snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 13 September 2015, 05:33 AM

New Zealand Police mistakenly release top secret documents

Top-secret police intelligence documents with details about confidential informants were accidentally sent by our elite organised crime-fighting agency to the criminals they were investigating.

The stunning bungle saw the information copied and widely circulated among gang and methamphetamine-producing circles and led to police taking emergency steps to protect those exposed by the blunder.

Last night, Assistant Commissioner Malcolm Burgess said the information had been mistakenly included in material sent to a lawyer acting for someone arrested in an investigation by the Organised and Financial Crime Agency of NZ (Ofcanz).

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11511711
Old 13 September 2015, 11:03 PM

Icon24

That's a slightly strange article - it goes from Very Tabloid in the first few paragraphs, through Ordinary Journalism into something that's quite in-depth...

The "stinning bingle"* was apparently accidentally copying the defence lawyer's client, rather than just the defence lawyer, on an email? Or perhaps sending the defence lawyer more information than was needed just for the client's defence?

Reading a bit further it seems that they may have been trying to disclose the relevant information to the defence lawyer, but instead sent their entire files on all people involved in anything related - which still doesn't quite explain how it got from the defence lawyer to general circulation and the press, but perhaps the police did indeed copy the client, who could pass this stuff on without fear of professional consequences.

A bit of a communication problem all round, it seems.

* Sorry, I was trying to make fun of a Kiwi accent, but that didn't really work. It should have been "stunnung bungle", perhaps. I think I accidentally made fun of people from Zimbabwe instead. I apologise to all concerned.
Old 13 September 2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
* Sorry, I was trying to make fun of a Kiwi accent, but that didn't really work. It should have been "stunnung bungle", perhaps. I think I accidentally made fun of people from Zimbabwe instead. I apologise to all concerned.
Ha! - I laughed. Initially because I thought it referred to that incident with the cricketer, the vacuous bint and the engagement ring being flushed, but then the accent kicked it.
Old 14 September 2015, 12:38 AM

I missed that bingle was part of the joke, cause bingle can be used to describe an accident too. Usually it is a minor car accident. Minor as in no-one hurt only minor damage to the cars.
Old 23 September 2015, 02:35 AM

"bint?" really?
LC