snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 11 October 2017, 10:50 PM

Default Things that turned out better than expected

I need some good news in my life right now, so I thought I'd start this thread about situations where you thought everything was effed and it turned out okay.

I'll start:

My husband and I were crossing from Detroit to Windsor with my Shiba Inu in the back seat and the border agent had us pull over, but not to the usual secondary inspection area. I was sure we were going to be arrested for something. (What, I don't know, as we don't commit crimes but crossing the border as an immigrant tends to make one paranoid).

The border agent opened the back door and let my dog out (we always keep her on a leash in the car cos she tends to bolt out to have a pee and is a runner). He grabbed her leash and walked her around and said "where did you get her? I've been looking for a Shiba Inu for months but can't find a good breeder."

I gave him the name of the rescue where I got her (and some more local rescues I volunteer with, since I'd gotten her in Manhattan), then he loaded her back up and waved us through.

I hope he has a love affair with a Shiba right now.
Old 12 October 2017, 12:53 AM

Last year, I had six teeth pulled, and I was freaking*. As it turned out, I got myself worked up for absolutely nothing.

*The previous dentist I saw wanted to put me to sleep(I have an irrational fear of not waking up), pull them all at once, and give me Vicodin afterwards. While waiting for approval from Medicaid, they stopped taking it. My current dentist just used Novocaine, extracted two teeth a week for three weeks, and prescribed 600 mg. ibuprofen, which I ended up not even needing.
Old 12 October 2017, 01:19 AM

Dentists are my worst fear, I had such a bad orthodontist for 4 years and they just treated me like crap and seemed to relish in my pain. I'm sure they didn't, but they sure didn't give me any painkillers or anything like that while tightening my braces. They used to bitch at me because I refused to use the common toothbrushes in the communal sink in the waiting room. I thought that was freaking gross and my mom would always bring my toothbrush/toothpaste to use at the bathroom down the hall. And EVERY TIME the nurses would report to the doctor 'SHE DIDN'T BRUSH!" i brushed in the bathroom with my own stuff you g-d moron. My mom would always jump in from the waiting room to say I'd brushed and the hygienists would always say "Doctor Winsheel's toothbrushes and paste are excellent, it is ridiculous for your daughter to brush down the hall." Ugh God I they were so awful.

But the story ends happy, I have beautiful teeth and those morons haven't been able to touch me since I was 14. My current dentist says I have a HUGE mouth (!) and can keep my wisdom teeth.
Old 12 October 2017, 02:03 PM

Glasses

I have always had marvelous luck with dentists. My childhood dentist was a very patient man (he had to be). He did such a good job dealing with the aftermath of the accident I was in that 45 years later, I've only lost two teeth (I also have about 6 crowns, but those are my fault).

My method of finding a good dentist? Ask around. Start with "Do you like going to the dentist?" and with those who say "no" (amazingly enough, not everyone will ), proceed to "do you like your dentist?" It's worked for me.

Seaboe
Old 12 October 2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
Dentists are my worst fear, I had such a bad orthodontist for 4 years and they just treated me like crap and seemed to relish in my pain. I'm sure they didn't, but they sure didn't give me any painkillers or anything like that while tightening my braces.
I had braces and know a lot of people who have, and I have never head of anyone being given painkillers for braces tightening.

Quote:
They used to bitch at me because I refused to use the common toothbrushes in the communal sink in the waiting room. I thought that was freaking gross and my mom would always bring my toothbrush/toothpaste to use at the bathroom down the hall.
Communal brushes? Used by more than one person? Are you certain you didn't misunderstand -- maybe they were meant to be disposable? That's what my ortho offered, and that was in the 70s.

Did no other patients object to sharing toothbrushes?
Old 12 October 2017, 04:44 PM

Honestly, I see the hygienist's point, even if they were making patients share brushes. Unless you had your own private bathroom at your orthodontist's office, you were still using a communal sink. If anything, it was probably dirtier and germier than the one in the waiting room, because people use the bathroom sink to wash after they use the toilet. Seems to me you would have been better off using your own toothbrush in the cleaner waiting room sink.