snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 08 February 2019, 07:25 PM

Iím the same. Anything from C6 onwards is glorious to behold, and anything pre Ď70s.

I fell in love with the brand when I saw them racing at Le Mans in the early 2000ís the engine noise on those things is, hands down, the best sound out there better than even the sweetest V12 Ferrari or Aston Martin itís a [i] visceral [\i] sound and punches straight through your guts. The first time you hear it you turn to your companion open mouthed. Itís a humbling experience.

Hearing those take off down the Mulsanne Straight at night is incredible, they are so loud, that you never hear them fade to quiet before another car passes by.

Easily and definitely the second best mechanical sound in the world.
Old 14 February 2019, 04:27 PM

This is actually a truck I saw today. This morning I saw a semi tanker delivering fuel to a gas station. The tractor had an unusual retro-1930s style grille that came to a point in the front, kind of like a PT Cruiser, but a truck. I wondered if it might be a customization added by its owner, but it looked like a fleet truck, not one driven by an owner-operator, so that didn't seem likely. But after a little searching it turns out the truck is an International LoneStar, and that's exactly how it looked from the factory. Since Wikipedia says that model has been in production since 2008 and I can't recall having seen one before, they must not be particularly popular. I'm guessing styling isn't really all that important a consideration to truck drivers.
Old 14 February 2019, 05:05 PM

Glasses

I went to the 7-Eleven again yesterday (it's much closer than the grocery stores), and the Stingray is still there, with a very large pile of snow behind it. I don't think it will be moving soon.

It's also parked right next to the Jaguar I've mentioned before.

Seaboe
Old 14 February 2019, 06:20 PM

I saw another Tesla X at the weekend, the second I've seen I think. (The first must have been a year or so ago). So those are starting to be out there, although S's are still much more common here.
Old 17 February 2019, 03:56 PM

France

At the local DIY store today, I saw a Tesla Model X 100d. A funny car, especially with its "gull wing" doors at the back.

Old 17 February 2019, 08:02 PM

Wow - I didn't know the Tesla X's did that... the ones I've seen have all either been parked at the curb with no owner in sight, or driving!

(Funnily enough I saw another last week on Thursday or Friday; both the ones I've seen in the last posts were white so I briefly wondered if it was the same car, then realised that one was in High Wycombe and the other in London near Edgeware Road, so they weren't the same. Probably they've just started to be delivered in large enough numbers to be noticeable.)
Old 17 February 2019, 09:16 PM

Walking home from the store I saw a 1969 Dodge Charger. Or maybe it was a Super Bee? But it was definitely a 1969, because it helpfully had a vanity plate that said "1969".
Old 19 February 2019, 01:24 PM

No

Over the weekend: a fine looking Mustang....with a DIY trailer attached to it. Wrong. So wrong.
Old 19 February 2019, 02:28 PM

Were there tires in/on the trailer? If so, they may have been going to a race and had the race tires in the trailer since the trunk is too small for them.
Old 19 February 2019, 06:55 PM

No this was a small wooden trailer, the kind you see small landscaping companies hauling their equipment around in. I only saw one tire--the spare.
Old 20 February 2019, 12:04 AM

Teenager who mows lawns in the summer but doesn't want to drive a pickup to haul his equipment. Mustangs are much cooler.
Old 20 February 2019, 12:59 AM

It is refreshing to hear of someone who doesn't seem to think that towing a trailer of any kind requires an F250 Super Duty or similar truck.

It's actually quite common to see landscapers around here driving around in full sized pickups, towing a trailer with their equipment in it. I understand why they use the trailer; the beds on modern pickups have gotten so high off the ground that it's got to be a pain to lift their equipment up there. But then I wonder why have the truck at all if you're not going to use the bed. Plenty of cars should be able to tow a small trailer like that.

ETA: Actually the guy who does my neighbor's lawn does use the bed of his pickup -- but his pickup is a lowrider. I used to think it was kind of silly to lower a truck like that, but then one day it hit me -- it alleviates the high liftover problem I mentioned. I'm sure it reduces the truck's payload capacity somewhat, but it should still be up to the task of carrying a couple of mowers and leaf blowers.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 20 February 2019 at 01:05 AM.
Old 20 February 2019, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
...I'm sure it reduces the truck's payload capacity somewhat, but it should still be up to the task of carrying a couple of mowers and leaf blowers.
If you lower the height of the truck (Lot's of aftermarket parts to do that.) and then install air shock to the adjust the ride height when needed, you won't lose that much capacity.

IMO, modern pickups have become ridiculously over sized, purely for style.

I remember a 1/2 Silverado loaner I got a couple of years ago while my car was in the body shop. I felt like I was herding a battle cruiser down the road. The low gas mileage was truly a shocker. I fail to see how people can afford to drive these behemoths to work every day.
Old 20 February 2019, 02:51 AM

On my way home from work today I saw an old Chevy Greenbrier/Corvair Van.

Then later I saw a mildly customized VW Rabbit pickup (AKA the VW Caddy in other countries, apparently). Those were never that popular in the US compared to the small Japanese and American pickups, but nowadays you hardly ever seem to see them.
Old 20 February 2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Then later I saw a mildly customized VW Rabbit pickup (AKA the VW Caddy in other countries, apparently).
I thought the VW Rabbit was the equivalent of the VW Golf here (Wikipedia seems to agree), but that was never a pickup so far as I know... although if there was a pickup variant (how would you make a pickup variant of a small hatchback?) then Caddy would be a good name for it.

I've not really seen many interesting cars for a while.
Old 20 February 2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
although if there was a pickup variant (how would you make a pickup variant of a small hatchback?)
Chop the body off after the first set of doors, install a pickup bed on the back.

Old 20 February 2019, 01:37 PM

Hm. They seem to have significantly extended the wheelbase as well. I'm surprised it's worth the effort...
Old 20 February 2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I'm surprised it's worth the effort...
Well, compact pickups were very popular in the US at the time, I'm guessing at least partly as a result of the high (by our standards) fuel prices of the late 1970s. VW's management probably thought they needed to get in on that market. The ones sold in the US were actually built in Pennsylvania, and thus avoided the "chicken tax" tariff on imported trucks.

ETA: Oh yeah, and while walking across the parking lot on the way back from lunch I spotted an early 1960s Thunderbird. I snapped a few pictures and will post them when I get home, as Flickr is blocked at work.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 20 February 2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 20 February 2019, 10:54 PM

Didn't actually see it in person, but online I found a reference to a Bradley GT built on a VW frame and looking like a "Porch Speedster."

Brad "maybe it had a swing and railings?" from Georgia
Old 21 February 2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:
ETA: Oh yeah, and while walking across the parking lot on the way back from lunch I spotted an early 1960s Thunderbird. I snapped a few pictures and will post them when I get home, as Flickr is blocked at work.
I promised a photo, so... After looking at some pictures online, I'm pretty sure this is a 1964.

1964 Thunderbird by mtwilda, on Flickr