snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 19 March 2019, 01:29 PM

TV The Future of Streaming TV? The cable bundle

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, at least according to this article.
Old 19 March 2019, 02:39 PM

Eh. I see where they are coming from, but I don't see people getting back to $200 a month because they are getting everything. And I think that they way Netflix has convinced everyone to binge shows will be part of the reason.

OK, let's say that we end up with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney, WB, DC, Marvel, Apple, Youtube, and an unknown wildcard all having some must see TV shows, and there are still cable bundles. I think the cable bundles will die - the only thing that would keep them going is live TV, mostly sports. ESPN and the like are going to have to move to internet streaming to survive.

So, really, ten services that will be fighting for viewers. Yeah, if they are $10-$20 each, and you add internet, then it can easily get to $200 (although I wouldn't count internet as part of that cost, unless you only get and use it for streaming TV). But why would anyone have all of the services all of the time? Now, sure - you can get the biggies for about $50. But why not have Netflix, watch all of the Netflix shows you are interested in, then cancel and switch to Amazon for all of those shows, then Hulu, and on and on? We do that now, and it is not hard to manage. The only one we keep all the time is Amazon, because of Prime shipping. But when Netflix puts out mostly crap, and what they have that is good is dropped all at once, you can pick it up for a month or two a year and get everything you would ever need. And I haven't even touched on how, since this is streaming, people will group together so that four households share all of their passwords and only have a couple of subscriptions themselves.

The only way we get back to "cable bundles" is if most who dropped cable to save money decides that this is too hard. This is easier than the early days of cord cutting, so I doubt it happens.
Old 19 March 2019, 03:09 PM

I can't do that, Darth, because we binge different shows at different times. Currently, we have Hulu, Amazon & Netflix. I can see us picking up Disney, but nothing else, IMO. And Hulu is paid for by Sprint.
Old 19 March 2019, 03:47 PM

We have Netflix and Amazon, and OTA antenna and TiVo (an older, lifetime subscription unit, so no monthly payments) for big sporting events. We subscribed to Hulu briefly to get extra Olympics coverage. I love watching movies and TV, and I have no problem finding enough to watch based on just the two subscriptions we have. I thought I would miss cable a lot more, but I really don't.
Old 19 March 2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
I can't do that, Darth, because we binge different shows at different times. Currently, we have Hulu, Amazon & Netflix. I can see us picking up Disney, but nothing else, IMO. And Hulu is paid for by Sprint.
If you are only going to have two that you pay for, then this doesn't really apply. I was thinking of people who want to see The Mandalorian on Disney, and Doom Patrol on DC, and the GoT prequel on HBO, and Cobra Kai on YouTube, and whatever else WB, Apple, or whoever decide to air. If you subscribe to everything for just those shows, you are going to be well over $100 a month. If you subscribe to each just long enough to binge watch their killer show, then you can keep it in a reasonable range.