snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 24 July 2016, 08:23 PM

Default Weird things our pets do

With the drought in California, before I take a shower when I'm waiting for hot water to come out I put a bucket under the faucet so I can save that water for other uses rather than just letting it run down the drain. So after I shower I have a bucket of water in my bathroom. Nelson loves to drink from that bucket. As soon as I'm done showering he goes into the bathroom and gets a drink from it. He'll drink from his regular water dish, too, if there's no water in the bucket, but he seems to like the bucket better. I have no idea why.

Also, for a while he seemed to have developed a deep love for my flip-flops. He was always rubbing his face against them and licking them. I can kind of get licking them, maybe they tasted salty from my sweat or something. But I don't know why he was rubbing his face on them. He seems to have stopped that now, though. I guess he's lost interest in the flip-flops.

Ok, now your turn to share your weird pet stories.
Old 24 July 2016, 08:52 PM

Lately, my younger tortie, Maggie, comes running when she hears me pulling toilet paper off the roll. She fights me for the toilet paper, then runs off with however much she has managed to grab.
Old 24 July 2016, 09:40 PM

I've mentioned before sometimes when Ash positions himself in front of me with his butt facing men, then he'll move one back leg back and put it on my foot. Soon after, he'll whip around and attack. I've even seen him do it with his toys, too. Very odd.

He also puts his toys under the sofa or the entertainment center or the sofa. Now, you're probably thinking that I mean when he's romping around with a toy he'll bat it and it'll accidentally slide under the furniture. Nope. Sitting perfectly still, he'll take a paw and quite deliberately push a toy under something. Then he'll look at me as if to say, "Fetch, human!"

There is also THE FISHY! THE FISHY used to be part of a wand toy on an elastic string, but the elastic broke long ago so now it's just THE FISHY! It's his favorite toy. When he carries it around he does a cute little purr-meow, I guess the technical term is a trill. It's adorable.

He likes to put THE FISHY into my s/o's shoes. Never mine. Only his shoes. THE FISHY also often goes into the water bowl, and on occasion his food bowl. Still haven't figured that one out, either.
Old 24 July 2016, 11:16 PM

Iris is fascinated with the tub -- she's fallen in several times. The first few times it happened, she just stood there in the water for a few seconds before hopping out. The last couple of times her reaction was more the panic you'd expect. She also climbs the shower curtain.

But the weirdest thing she does is when she's drinking water. She'll paw at the carpet, pulling at it with her claws. She puts her paws in the water. She destroyed the fountain we had when we got here by messing with it. She noticed the lining material between the two pieces and kept pulling at it, eventually dismantling the fountain. I put it back together but it didn't work. I'll think about getting a new one when she's grown up.

Then there's Hammy. He licks people. I have to warn visitors.
Old 24 July 2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
I've mentioned before sometimes when Ash positions himself in front of me with his butt facing men
Interesting typo, me. That should be "with his butt facing me"
Old 25 July 2016, 02:21 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Nelson loves to drink from that bucket. As soon as I'm done showering he goes into the bathroom and gets a drink from it. He'll drink from his regular water dish, too, if there's no water in the bucket, but he seems to like the bucket better. I have no idea why.
Do you have chlorinated water? The chlorine becomes more prominent (in smell particularly) the longer the water stands. Water fresh out of the pipe has next to no smell.

Ferdinand likes to sleep on my lap with his head tucked down between my arm and the arm of the chair.

Seaboe
Old 25 July 2016, 02:31 PM

Whalephant

My late Sandstone never once tried to take over the bed. Don't tell me that's not weird behavior for a cat.

He also used to get into the dry bathtub with his favorite catnip mouse and bat it around and chase it as it moved.
Old 25 July 2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Do you have chlorinated water? The chlorine becomes more prominent (in smell particularly) the longer the water stands. Water fresh out of the pipe has next to no smell.
Weird.

I don't generally have chlorinated water. When I'm somewhere that does have it, I can both smell and taste it straight out of the pipe; but, if I let it sit for a while, the chlorine dissipates and the water then tastes better. And it's often recommended to let chlorinated water sit overnight before using it to water plants, so the chlorine doesn't clobber beneficials in the soil, or even more directly damage sensitive plants.

-- a bit of googling on this turned up a lot of references, but nothing specifically authoritative; plus the information that chloramine is now often also added to tap water and that this doesn't dissipate, or not in the same fashion.
Old 25 July 2016, 05:42 PM

Whenever I introduce a new toy to Enoch, whether it's an electric one or not, I have to put it somewhere near a dustpan he likes to sit in so he can study it for a few minutes. He'll cram his whole body (sans the tail) into the dustpan bread loaf style so no other part of him touches the floor until he determines if the toy invader has come in peace or not.

~Psihala
Old 25 July 2016, 06:43 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Costco is my #1 go-to place for cat toys--they love the boxes I bring home!
Old 25 July 2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
My late Sandstone never once tried to take over the bed. Don't tell me that's not weird behavior for a cat.
Wow, that is weird! Are you sure he was a cat?
Old 26 July 2016, 07:11 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Wow, that is weird! Are you sure he was a cat?
Well, the Humane Society I adopted him from and the vet said he was! I had talks with him.about this weirdness but he was content to lie next to the pillow and purr.
Old 26 July 2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
River doesn't try to take over the bed, but she does like to slip under the covers with me in the winter when I've got the flannel sheets on and my apartment's air temperature drops to around freezing.

She also likes to sit in my chairs. I have a few chairs in the living/dining room, but the ones she uses the most are the ones I sit in- she mostly ignores the others.
Old 26 July 2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
River doesn't try to take over the bed [...]
Reading this out of context I was like... interesting geology... hrmm.
Old 26 July 2016, 11:28 AM

Mine also love to splash water out of the water bowl. I had to put it in a larger bowl so the water doesn't get everywhere. Also Jacques, my boy cat, loves to be brushed and will purr and rub into it even more than being petted! It is crazy!
Old 26 July 2016, 12:27 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
River doesn't try to take over the bed, but she does like to slip under the covers with me in the winter when I've got the flannel sheets on and my apartment's air temperature drops to around freezing.
Immy pesters me to zip up my jacket with her inside it in the winter. She'll snuggle in the jacket with me until either she gets overheated or she cramps up; I'm not sure which. Under the covers is also.awfully comfy for her.
Old 27 July 2016, 02:37 AM

Mouse

My Minnie-Kitty is obsessed with having her ball thrown, so she can chase it. I'm like, "I thought cats were supposed to sleep sixteen hours a day."
Old 27 July 2016, 11:28 AM

Last night I had to kick my goobers out of my bedroom because they were having a competition who could get higher on the curtains, which involved a lot of ripping sounds and meowing. Then they raised a racket for a while for being kicked out!
Old 27 July 2016, 01:29 PM

China's started to lick the condensation off of soda bottles(despite having fresh water in her bowl).
Old 27 July 2016, 02:35 PM

Glasses

Ferdinand does that, too. I think he likes it because I'm drinking out of them and he thinks he's drinking the same thing I am.

Seaboe