snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 08 October 2015, 07:53 AM

Australia 'Australia has no freedom,' Fox News host claims in discussion on gun laws

http://www.theguardian.com/australia...on-on-gun-laws
Quote:
Tucker Carlson, one of the hosts of the Fox & Friends segment which aired on Monday night, said that gun restrictions were an “infantile focus on the tool of the violence,” and interrupted a fellow host, Clayton Morris, when he listed Australia as a common example used in the argument for gun restrictions.

“The other side of that argument, that people always throw out, of course, is like: ‘look at Australia! They don’t have gun violence, they have no guns, their citizens aren’t allowed to have guns’,” Morris said.

“They also have no freedom,” Carlson said. “You can go to prison for expressing unpopular views in Australia and people do.”
And as this documentary shows, here's the punishment.

Brian
Old 08 October 2015, 12:37 PM

Australia

There's lots of guns in Australia. My brother has several hunting rifles. Also I express unpopular view allll the time and I haven't been arrested yet.

Does anyone have any idea what they're referring to when they're talking about people in Australia being sent to prison for expressing unpopular views? Surely that must be based on something or an exaggeration of something and not something they just invented out of thin air.
Old 08 October 2015, 12:46 PM

It's Fox News... facts are irrelevant.
Old 08 October 2015, 01:02 PM

Maybe he mistook Mad Max for a documentary again.
Old 08 October 2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
It's Fox News... facts are irrelevant.
Yeah, the same organization that said that Birmingham was a no-go zone because it was TOTALLY Islamic.
Old 08 October 2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
Maybe he mistook Mad Max for a documentary again.
But in Mad Max women are empowered, that must be a nightmare for him

Obligatory "MEDIOCRE!" goes here.
Old 08 October 2015, 03:17 PM

From the FOX perspective, Immortan Joe was the hero of the movie.
Old 08 October 2015, 04:11 PM

Unsurprising. A co-worker used the "gun control leads to tyranny" argument in a discussion of gun control with an Australian woman who had just explained Australian gun control.

Me: So, is there tyranny in Australia now?
Aussie woman: No.
Co-worker: [pause] Oh, look, there's our waiter.
Old 08 October 2015, 04:44 PM

I had a friend who considered his right to bear arms the only indication of true freedom. He carried everywhere (he liked to tell about how he had a lower weigh-in at Weight Watchers than expected because he forgot to take off his gun before stepping on the scale), and to him his guns were a symbol of what it meant to be American. Anyone from a country that didn't have that right could never truly be free.

I've shot guns before and come from a family of high level competitive shooters (although, Archery was the major sport), and my in-laws are avid hunters, but if you asked me what I consider freedom, the ability to carry a weapon wouldn't even cross my mind.

Of course, I'm a silly communist who thinks that health care is a basic human right, so what do I know.
Old 08 October 2015, 09:28 PM

I have had two relatives and the son of a close friend die in separate instances of gun violence (my friend's son--whom my wife and I had baby-sat when he was little--died in the Virginia Tech massacre). The subject wrecks me emotionally, and I can't discuss it calmly.

But I wish to God we could get rid of so many firearms.
Old 08 October 2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
http://www.theguardian.com/australia...on-on-gun-laws

And as this documentary shows, here's the punishment.

Brian
Are you saying they don't really do that? Great, now I wasted all this time writing "Don't tread on me" on my butt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Does anyone have any idea what they're referring to when they're talking about people in Australia being sent to prison for expressing unpopular views? Surely that must be based on something or an exaggeration of something and not something they just invented out of thin air.
I'd wager it's just overlap from the common in right-wing circles idea that everywhere outside the US people go to prison for saying anything negative about Islam or Muslims. And while some countries do have hate speech laws that would be unconstitutional in the US this still isn't quite true even in those countries.
Old 08 October 2015, 10:17 PM

The weird thing is that he insisted there's tyranny about freedom of speech. I'm sure in the minds of the viewers these were somehow connected in some convoluted mass of neural contusions but to most rational people in the world it's like "Do you honestly believe having a bunch of guns around in the 21st century is what scared the people in the 18th into writing the first amendment???"

I would wonder what he thinks about every other country in the world with gun control but it's hopeless. Let's just say we all live under tyranny. I can't tell you the number of times I've wanted a firearm to defend my family and to oppose government tyranny in my life abroad... Wait... Is zero a number? Oh! Well, it's zero.
Old 09 October 2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
I have had two relatives and the son of a close friend die in separate instances of gun violence (my friend's son--whom my wife and I had baby-sat when he was little--died in the Virginia Tech massacre). The subject wrecks me emotionally, and I can't discuss it calmly.

But I wish to God we could get rid of so many firearms.
I am sorry Brad. And you have to hear these idiots blather this rubbish.
Old 09 October 2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Unsurprising. A co-worker used the "gun control leads to tyranny" argument in a discussion of gun control with an Australian woman who had just explained Australian gun control.

Me: So, is there tyranny in Australia now?
Aussie woman: No.
Co-worker: [pause] Oh, look, there's our waiter.
I was half waiting that we really didn't know what freedom was cause we didn't have guns.

I do remember when the number of guns were reduced in Australia after one, I repeat one incident, the gun rights nuts hear howled too. Including one claim that the real reason Japan didn't invaded Australia in WWII was because of the number of guns in private hands. Which didn't really add up. They had swept across most of Asia, across countries with much larger populations then us. The Australian population is about that of some large cities in asia yet that fact that some of us were armed stopped them?

What stopped Japan was the US army (yes I know they were armed, but also trained) with help from us.

But logic doesn't work on the gun nuts.
Old 09 October 2015, 12:36 PM

Waffles with gunpowder syrup.
Old 09 October 2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Including one claim that the real reason Japan didn't invaded Australia in WWII was because of the number of guns in private hands.
Ah, so that's why Hitler didn't invade the UK after Dunkirk. Perhaps we should repeal our strict gun control laws to stop all these refugees - sorry migrants - coming to the UK because of our benefit system.
Old 09 October 2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
There's lots of guns in Australia. My brother has several hunting rifles. Also I express unpopular view allll the time and I haven't been arrested yet.

Perhaps they were thinking about a person who's name I can't remember, but they were on Kim Davis' legal team (Kim Davis won't issue marriage licenses to gay couples). Anyway, this person got turned away from Australia for being a member of a hate group.
Old 09 October 2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Let's just say we all live under tyranny.
Exactly. The USA invented freedom, and everyone else is governed by a tyrannical monarch who can arrest you for criticizing him, takes away your guns, and forces you to quarter soldiers in your house.
Old 09 October 2015, 06:19 PM

Yeah, but our country used to be ruled by a distant monarchy. So we know what that is like and we make sure it will never happen again. Dasla and quink and Gutter Monkey's countries never had that problem, so they don't know what its like and think it will be all fun and games.
Old 09 October 2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Probably put out there by the same people who think Obamacare was going to be the same as the Canadian health care system - you know with the death panels and the way we put old people on ice floes and all.