snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 21 July 2015, 06:32 PM

If they started charging for the bathrooms, they'd probably have to deal with massive numbers of people intentionally soiling their seats in protest. In vehicles with sealed, recirculated air.
Old 21 July 2015, 06:49 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Wait, what? So the handles are inaccessible and the dirtiest part is facing out?
Correct. They fit in the bin better that way. Or so the flight attendants tell us.

Seaboe
Old 21 July 2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
In vehicles with sealed, recirculated air.
Planes actually aren't completely sealed (think about it -- if they were passengers would quickly use up all the oxygen):

It is also only partially recirculated, with fresh air continuously being brought in from outside.
Old 21 July 2015, 06:54 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Correct. They fit in the bin better that way. Or so the flight attendants tell us.

Seaboe
Depends on the plane and the bins. In some bins they go in better wheels first, some don't matter. In either of the latter cases wheels first is best.
Old 21 July 2015, 07:02 PM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
As much as people love to hate airlines,
Using your post as a jumping off point: They do love to hate airlines. But, like in the South Park episode about killing the WalMart beast, that hate should be directed at us. The airlines are only giving us what we asked for, as cheap as possible airfare no matter what has to be sacrificed. Frontier Airlines used to have increased seat pitch on all their flights, for which they needed to charge more (since they have less seats on each plane). I'm guessing they found that not enough people wanted to pay more for more room as they have the same amount of pitch (or even less) that the rest of the airlines.

[/soapbox]
Old 22 July 2015, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
And as far as "proper" carriers go in the US, AFAIK, only Southwest Airlines does not charge for baggage. Does that have anything to do with the fact that Southwest Airlines does not appear on internet airline fare searches? Maybe...
Yeah, JetBlue was the other holdout and they just went to baggage fees on June 30. I assume Delta is going to eat them in Detroit; with both airlines charging baggage fees and Delta offering lots of competing routes at lower fares, there's not much reason for me to fly JetBlue anymore.
Old 23 July 2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Regarding the fee for checking bags: IMO, it is based on the prevalence of internet comparison shopping for airfare. Airline A charges $150 with a $25 baggage fee and Airline B charges $170 with free checked baggage. Since the web sites list just the fare, enough people will chose Airline A that Airline B will lose business. So Arline B starts listing fares of $165 with a $25 baggage fee.
On top of that, the excise tax only applies to the actual airfare, not any of those fees. So now that they're required to list to total price including taxes the $150 fare will look even better since the taxes on it will be lower.
Old 17 October 2015, 07:22 PM

Default Airbus files patent for 'stacked' passenger seating

Just when ya thought it couldn't get worse!

Quote:
Cramped seating arrangements on economy flights could get significantly worse if Airbus' latest design ever becomes a reality. A patent filed by the plane manufacturer envisions stacking passengers on top of one another -- a bit like blocks in a game of Tetris.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...engers-stacked
Old 17 October 2015, 10:25 PM

This is a scheme by Amtrak and Greyhound. I'm sure of it!
Old 18 October 2015, 12:02 AM

Bring back the ocean liners!!!! How can I get to Europe from here without flying. I actually don't mind flying when I can go first class but I no longer travel for business enough to have miles to redeem to do that.
Old 18 October 2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Bring back the ocean liners!!!! How can I get to Europe from here without flying.
Book passage aboard the Queen Mary 2? Because AFAIK, it still travels between the US and the UK.

~Psihala
Old 18 October 2015, 12:11 AM

Airplane

I don't care if I'm stacked like Tetris blocks. Anything that might allow a slim chance of getting vertical during a ten or twelve hour flight is OK by me.
Old 18 October 2015, 12:18 AM

How about anesthetizing everyone and then just stacking them in like cord wood?
Old 18 October 2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Book passage aboard the Queen Mary 2? Because AFAIK, it still travels between the US and the UK.

~Psihala
So it does, just not on a regular schedule like times of old.
http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/
Old 18 October 2015, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I don't care if I'm stacked like Tetris blocks. Anything that might allow a slim chance of getting vertical during a ten or twelve hour flight is OK by me.
Did you mean getting horizontal, or getting vertical as in getting up? Because otherwise I don't get it.
I just don't like the loss of overhead storage. There goes everyone's carryon unless it can fit under the seat in front.
Old 18 October 2015, 01:41 AM

Yes, of course. Horizontal. That is, not being vertical. (Always mixing up longitude and latitude! Or maybe I was thinking of that red Tetris block, coming in to fill four levels.)
Old 18 October 2015, 04:37 PM

I can not see this meeting FAA FAR's requirements for egress. Being this was just a filing of a patent application, I would guess Airbus it is just making sure that if concept becomes possible, they have their fingers in the cookie jar. Filling for patents useful or not is a view common for a engineering company to do.
Old 18 October 2015, 10:34 PM

What if you spill a drink? How do the stewardesses hand you a drink? What if a kid fell off? Is there enough head clearance for tall people? So many potential miseries.
Old 18 October 2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
So it does, just not on a regular schedule like times of old.
http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/
I've never looked into it, but I've heard you can book passage on a freighter as a passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
I can not see this meeting FAA FAR's requirements for egress. Being this was just a filing of a patent application, I would guess Airbus it is just making sure that if concept becomes possible, they have their fingers in the cookie jar. Filling for patents useful or not is a view common for a engineering company to do.
I thing that's true for pretty much all the unorthodox seat designs that get patented from time to time. They know it will never be allowed under current rules, but they want to have the patent on file so if it ever does become possible they're be the ones who get the royalties.
Old 19 October 2015, 05:42 AM

I'm pretty sure it won't happen, for one simple reason: There are regulations regarding how long an evacuation is allowed to take. Most aircraft models are already pretty close to that limit. Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if you try to evacuate in a disaster situation with that seating arrangement?