snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 24 June 2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
If you're going to choose your actions based on whether the wingnuts will start a conspiracy theory about them, you're not going to get a lot done.
To add to this, which is a better situation, to have a number of large corporations openly displaying and selling racist items or to have a number of individuals openly displaying racist items?
Old 25 June 2015, 12:04 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
If you're going to choose your actions based on whether the wingnuts will start a conspiracy theory about them, you're not going to get a lot done.

Personally, I applaud those organizations for standing up and deciding not to carry such merchandise anymore.
Especially since you know the Right has made the kneejerk decision to support whatever Obama opposes and oppose whatever Obama supports. I keep wishing that Obama, now that he no longer has to worry about reelection, will decide to utilize this to his advantage. Give an impassioned speech on the dangers of carbon monoxide and why no one should ever breathe it. Or talk about how you shouldn't wear cement booties when swimming. Or give a speech about how all the actions in the Dumb Ways to Die video really are dumb ways to die. I mean, when your enemy gives you such a glaring weakness, you'd be a fool not to use it to your advantage, Obama! It may be the only way to clear up all this political gridlock and get shit done.
Old 25 June 2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I'm not a fan of this only because the best way to make something popular is to take it away from people.
Not selling something != taking it away from people. Makes it harder to get, yes.
Old 25 June 2015, 02:24 PM

Apparently, stores here in Canada were still selling them, and they noticed a spike.

But now it seems they've agreed to stop selling them too.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...lash-1.3127020
Old 25 June 2015, 02:29 PM

Glasses

No one, however, is talking about changing the way they sell guns, AFAIK.

Seaboe
Old 25 June 2015, 02:50 PM

Frying Pan

Can't do that. It's in the constitution - unfettered right to purchase any gun you please.
Old 25 June 2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
When nothing changed after Newtown, I gave up hope of it changing in my lifetime. Maybe my daughter, or her children if she has any, will see it.
Old 25 June 2015, 03:29 PM

Baseball

Cancel my last.
Old 25 June 2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Seaboe
Unless the NRA suddenly runs out of money or gets exposed providing weapons to North Korea, I don't think that's actually going to happen any time soon.
Old 26 June 2015, 12:10 AM

Hijack...

I've got a perfectly good (and pretty expensive) "Don't Tread On Me" flag that I used to fly on the 4th of July. Haven't been able to use that nice flag for several years now.
Old 26 June 2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
A somewhat trivial but maybe enlightening example: I don't think The Dukes of Hazzard was only popular in the South. The car sported a Confederate battle flag, a Dixie horn, and the name The General Lee. But they were just some "good ol' boys, never meaning no harm." (Why, yes, I did watch the show as a kid.) I'm pretty sure they even had A Black Friend.

I think the presentation on that show was pretty typical of how a lot of people viewed the flag and the Confederacy, and how people can display it and claim that it isn't done out of racism. I think many people do view it as representing being a rebel, and Southern pride. It is not motivated by racism, but it is, of course, still a racist act. Not least because it defines "Southern" in a way that means "white Southern." And after all, it was the white South that lost the war. The slaves were freed as a result--probably not a net loss in their eyes.

The show was also popular here. I don't know if the significance of the flag was widely known here, as the we didn't cover alot of American history in my education. But it still does make me a little uncomfortable that my first thought on seeing that flag is thinking of "The Dukes of Hazard" and a positive feeling before I think "NO that isn't right". Mind you I can't think of any details about the show apart from the flag, car, the main charactors and the song.
Old 26 June 2015, 03:18 PM

A lot of old cartoons like Looney Tunes and Droopy Dog tended to feature prominent Confederate flags. I remember being somewhat disturbed by a few of them as a kid.
Old 26 June 2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Especially since you know the Right has made the kneejerk decision to support whatever Obama opposes and oppose whatever Obama supports. I keep wishing that Obama, now that he no longer has to worry about reelection, will decide to utilize this to his advantage. Give an impassioned speech on the dangers of carbon monoxide and why no one should ever breathe it. Or talk about how you shouldn't wear cement booties when swimming. Or give a speech about how all the actions in the Dumb Ways to Die video really are dumb ways to die. I mean, when your enemy gives you such a glaring weakness, you'd be a fool not to use it to your advantage, Obama! It may be the only way to clear up all this political gridlock and get shit done.
I've been saying for years that all Obama has to do to decimate the tea party is issue an executive order requiring everyone to breathe.
Old 28 June 2015, 05:53 AM

Whatever it may have once stood for (and may currently), it's a part of history and something you can't just gloss over. That is what's bothering me most about this entire thing, by removing the flag from being bought or removing it from public sight, you're trying to cover up the history behind it ad are encouraging people tho believe their e nonsense to get a foothold with those who don't really know anything because hey, all the monuments, symbols and relics are gone, buried away.

Of course the Civil war was about slavery, anyone with a brain and the eyes to read a book can tell you that, but pretending the Confederate Flag (or the rebel flag or whatever) doesn't exist anymore, doesn't change that fact, and doesn't make it stop being a horrible event in our history that everyone needs to learn and grow from. It also doesn't change the fact that nine people are dead because a lunatic thought it would be a fun, happy way to spend his time, which was what this was originally about, and what this nonsense is becoming a straw-man to.

(Oh dear...how did this soapbox get here...)
Old 29 June 2015, 02:51 AM

Sure. It should be on display so everyone can see it, including school children. That's what museums are for.
Old 29 June 2015, 08:36 AM

Yes, but with the current climate, they'd probably try to remove it from museums as well. I'm all for preserving it in some way (ie: museums), and then removing it from other aspects of life. Like I said, it's a dark page in our history and I can understand the desire to make it go away.
Old 29 June 2015, 11:53 AM

Germany manages to remember its Nazi past just fine without flying swastikas over its public buildings.

I have seen no proposals, here or anywhere else, to pretend the rebel flag doesn't exist anymore. That's just silly.
Old 29 June 2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitaina View Post
Of course the Civil war was about slavery, anyone with a brain and the eyes to read a book can tell you that . . .
Again: Growing up in Ohio, very much a Union state, I had junior high and high school history books that claimed the Civil War was not about slavery. And just a few months ago I heard a woman on the bus "explaining" that to a younger woman.* I think you underestimate how successful Lost Cause propagandizing has been.

*The younger woman looked skeptical. I'm hoping that's because the Lost Cause crap has been scrubbed from the Ohio history curriculum.
Old 29 June 2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Hijack...

I've got a perfectly good (and pretty expensive) "Don't Tread On Me" flag that I used to fly on the 4th of July. Haven't been able to use that nice flag for several years now.
Why not? Words that fillllll
Old 29 June 2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Germany manages to remember its Nazi past just fine without flying swastikas over its public buildings.
Yet the US manages to forget its racist past even though, unlike Germany, it still has people living in its ghettos.