snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 31 July 2014, 07:46 PM

Default Gimmick was attacked

My poor whippet. He was attacked today by the neighbors lab, and had to spend all afternoon at the vet. Luckily (because I honestly thought the lab was going to kill him), he escaped with multiple punctures and 5 staples in his leg.

To add insult to injury, the labs owner is now refusing to pay the vet bill. Why? Because Gimmick is intact, and everyone knows that intact males are extremely aggressive and always at fault. If I had neutered him, there wouldn't have been a problem.

Never mind that his dog is automatically at fault since he was loose and Gimmick was leashed or the fact that his dog doesn't have a mark on him. Nope, clearly my boys fault.

I've already called animal control, and they're on my side. Basically, he now has a $600 vet bill waiting on him, as well as a citation for letting his dog run loose. His dog will also have this recorded against him in their records.

It really irritates me that people don't just slap a leash on their dogs. If want to hang outside with them, tie them to something so they can't leave your property. It's not hard, and way less expensive then having to pay someone else's vet bill.

I guess I'm going to have to go back to carrying mace. I had stopped after another aggressive neighborhood dog was finally PTS (another case of letting it run loose), but I certainly wasn't getting any help from the owners in prying their 100lb+ dog off of my 26lb one.
Old 31 July 2014, 07:47 PM

Poor Gimmick. Give him extra skritches from me.

And how scary for you. A neighbor dog went after my Pebbles once (for absolutely no reason) and it was terrifying.
Old 31 July 2014, 07:51 PM

Ugh. While it is true that some neutered males respond badly to intact males, I've been around hundreds of perfectly well-behaved intact males, even when bitches in heat were around.

I've also had multiple intact males in the same home at the same time and they got along just fine, except for one really bizarre sheltie fight between two dogs that had lived with each other harmoniously for years and continued to do so for years after that fight.

Good for you getting AC to act. I hope the jerk pays up.
Old 31 July 2014, 07:59 PM

Poor Gimmick. And poor you! There's nothing like breaking up a dog fight to get the ol' adrenaline going. I once picked up a pit bull by the scuff of the neck to get him off of a neighbor's cat, and my legs shook for a half hour after. I hope your neighbor stands up and does the right thing.
Old 31 July 2014, 08:01 PM

Hugs to you and cyber=scritches to Gimmick.
Old 31 July 2014, 08:03 PM

If all intact males really were vicious attacks waiting to happen, there wouldn't be many dog shows.
Old 31 July 2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
I once picked up a pit bull by the scuff of the neck to get him off of a neighbor's cat, and my legs shook for a half hour after.
Better than me pulling a pit off a neighbor's dog using it's tail Doh! Thankfully, he wasn't human aggressive.

I'm glad most dog fights tend to be lots of fur and noise and bravado. It's scary when one is actually a vicious attack, like the one poor Gimmick experienced.
Old 31 July 2014, 09:22 PM

Gimmick appreciates the scratches. In typical whippet fashion, there is much sighing and drama coming from him, but he's going to be just fine. Animal Control pulled up to the neighbors house a little bit ago, but they weren't close enough for me to spy on them. I'm really hoping this doesn't drag out.
Old 31 July 2014, 09:26 PM

I am glad Gimmick will be alright. I wish my guy had been there - he will throw himself between an aggressive dog and its victim. With his size and very thick fur, he can handle it. What a wonderful trait - blessed be the peacemakers.
Old 31 July 2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
Better than me pulling a pit off a neighbor's dog using it's tail Doh! Thankfully, he wasn't human aggressive.

I'm glad most dog fights tend to be lots of fur and noise and bravado. It's scary when one is actually a vicious attack, like the one poor Gimmick experienced.
Ouch! For a dog not to go for you when you pull it by its tail, it must really like humans. I've since found that a water hose can break up a dog fight pretty quick. I've even poured a cup of coffee into a dog's nose to get him to let go of another dog. But hoses and coffee cups aren't always around. (Kicking does not work.)
Old 01 August 2014, 07:26 AM

Dog

I'm sorry about Gimmick -- I hope he gets better soon.
Old 01 August 2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
Ouch! For a dog not to go for you when you pull it by its tail, it must really like humans.
Yeah. It wasn't my smartest move, but we could NOT get him off the other dog, and part of my brain had been observing the fact that he had no interest in retaliating against the other neighbor trying to break up the fight by kicking and hitting him, so that part of my brain said "go for it." Thank goodness it was right.
Despite his obvious and extreme dog aggression, he was an absolute sweetheart around people. I used my sweater as a leash to hold him until the cops showed up. He sat on command, licked me, wagged his tail, and let me boost him into the cop car.

Quote:
I've since found that a water hose can break up a dog fight pretty quick. I've even poured a cup of coffee into a dog's nose to get him to let go of another dog. But hoses and coffee cups aren't always around. (Kicking does not work.)
We were by the dumpsters at the back of the complex, so our options were severely limited. Not the best case scenario at all. Thankfully, the dog being attacked came out of it with only puncture wounds.
Old 01 August 2014, 08:55 PM

Glad Gimmick is okay.

But for a funny dog fight story - My 85 pound Aussie, Bandit, (since gone over the rainbow bridge) managed to escape and was taking a stroll around the neighborhood. Our across the street neighbors had a 10-15 pound Boston terrier that thought he was the toughest thing on the planet and was out to prove it. Max, the terror (sic) attacked the gentle Bandit and grabbed Bandit by throat. So Bandit decided he better go home. Bandit came walking up the driveway completely unfazed with Max hanging from the fur of Bandit's neck. Bandit had a look of "How to I get this thing off me?" It was only when I went up to Bandit that Max let go and dropped to the ground and ran home still growling at both of us. Bandit was completely unhurt as was Max.
Old 02 August 2014, 01:53 AM

Glad Gimmick is ok, two dogs by parents were dog sitting recently got into a fight and it was scarey.

But I also have a funny dog fight story. We were in the backyard washing our lab, Gemma and two dogs came into the yard and started a fight (with each other) and Gemma ran over and...threw her towel at them.

I wonder if she had been watching the boxing when we were out.
Old 05 August 2014, 03:31 PM

Sigh. The neighbors are still fighting paying the bill. The new claim is that Gimmick is out of compliance with the city's mandatory spay/neuter law (don't even get me started on that one), and thus is at fault.

A) Gimmick is not out of compliance. I paid an exorbitant amount to buy him a 'breeders license' to cover this year, and he is now vasectomized, which covers him as an altered dog for next year.

B) Even if he had been out of compliance, it doesn't matter Their dog was in violation of the leash law and attacked mine. Whether Gimmick was properly registered or not has no bearing on that.

C) This is going to be a nightmare. I'm going to win, but yay for dragging this out.

On the upside, though, Gimmick is well on the road to recovery
Old 05 August 2014, 03:40 PM

I'm glad Gimmick is mending. Poor baby! They are likely hoping you will give up and go away.
Old 05 August 2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
Sigh. The neighbors are still fighting paying the bill.
Oh, geez. What horrid people!

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this, but I'm glad the puppers is doing better.