snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 17 July 2014, 09:47 AM
Beachlife!'s Avatar
Beachlife! Beachlife! is offline
 
Join Date: 22 June 2001
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 28,671
Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Okay, if you're fine that the agent you talk to is risking getting their pay dinged for the week over it. And will therefore try to give you the hard sell in order to keep you.
Are you saying that Comcast actively docks the pay of the employees who fail to meet some kind of retention quota?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 17 July 2014, 11:33 AM
Latiam's Avatar
Latiam Latiam is offline
 
Join Date: 19 June 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,484
Default

Yes. That was in the follow-up article.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 17 July 2014, 11:59 AM
Alarm's Avatar
Alarm Alarm is offline
 
Join Date: 26 May 2011
Location: Nepean, ON
Posts: 5,807
Default

As a sort of comparison, when I was a collection call centre agent, we had to meet "arrangement vs legal action " quotas.

This means for every acount you send to the next department for "legal action" (even for people who say they're unable to pay because they are on social assisstance), you had to make a payment arrangement on 3 of them.

Every 3 months, or 6 months, when contract renewal time would come, they would look at your numbers and decide if they want to keep you or not.

Understandably, a lot of agents would end a call where they were told the customer was unable to pay as a "I will check my finance and call you back" call. As you might guess, this generated quite a few irate responses from the customers, but no change from management.

Call centre employees always get the short, pointy, greasy end of the stick. I try to be nice to them when I can, and if it doesn't inconvenience me.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 17 July 2014, 12:02 PM
chillas's Avatar
chillas chillas is offline
 
Join Date: 09 September 2002
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 11,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Are you saying that Comcast actively docks the pay of the employees who fail to meet some kind of retention quota?
Yes, that is exactly what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 17 July 2014, 12:21 PM
Brad from Georgia's Avatar
Brad from Georgia Brad from Georgia is offline
 
Join Date: 21 June 2000
Location: Snellvile, GA
Posts: 13,206
Default

My wife despises that commercial . . . two guys in a car, and one says, "Give me some reasons why I shouldn't hate you any longer." The Comcast guy says there's a two-hour window for service calls and guaranteed service appointments.

We recently moved to a Comcast-only cable area, and it took three broken appointments (on their part) before a guy finally showed up and spent an hour telling us why he couldn't run a cable before I went up into the attic and ran it for him.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 17 July 2014, 12:29 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,585
Default

I think Beachlife may be drawing a distinction between docking someone's basic pay and that person failing to earn retention pay. I don't find the distinction particularly meaningful, at least in this case, but HMMV.

As for lying about one's reason for terminating service, no, of course one shouldn't have to do it. But I would, gladly. I don't think taking the principled stand while attempting to terminate my service would be likely to have any meaningful effect on Comcast's policies. Lying, OTOH, would make my day easier and give the rep a break.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 17 July 2014, 12:36 PM
Chloe's Avatar
Chloe Chloe is offline
 
Join Date: 13 September 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 39,316
Default

Yes, I also anticipated the argument that having less money in your paycheck because you missed a target is different from being docked in some significant way, but it's not all that different to someone trying to pay the bills. Some jobs are crappy; if a white lie helps someone out, I see no reason not to tell it.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 17 July 2014, 05:30 PM
Hero_Mike's Avatar
Hero_Mike Hero_Mike is offline
 
 
Join Date: 06 April 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ & Hamilton, ON
Posts: 7,267
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
That is excellent advice there. As soon as you say you're moving out of the country, you remove all the pressure to keep you from the agent you're communicating with.
That did not work for me and my cell phone provider when I was actually moving from Canada to the US. They still tried the same script and tried different tactics to convince me that I should keep the service - like continuing to pay the service but giving the phone to some friend or relative, or that I might come back "some day".

If businesses post signs which say "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone", can customers not cite a similar "right" to refuse being a customer?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 17 July 2014, 06:46 PM
Sue's Avatar
Sue Sue is offline
 
Join Date: 26 December 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Call centre employees always get the short, pointy, greasy end of the stick. I try to be nice to them when I can, and if it doesn't inconvenience me.
Same here, particularly when I am the one initiating the call. All bets are off if someone is cold calling me trying to sell me something. I usually suspect a scam and have no interest in furthering a conversation that will lead nowhere. It's different though if I'm cancelling a service or whatever then if a little white lie will make it easier for me and easier on the agent at the other end of the phone I'll do it. I've used the moving out of the area/country excuse a few times and it works.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 17 July 2014, 09:10 PM
Beachlife!'s Avatar
Beachlife! Beachlife! is offline
 
Join Date: 22 June 2001
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 28,671
Default

The two situations are very different legally.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 17 July 2014, 09:53 PM
chillas's Avatar
chillas chillas is offline
 
Join Date: 09 September 2002
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 11,837
Default

Hardly relevant when you're the person on the end of the phone hoping to pay your bills that month.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 17 July 2014, 11:14 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
The two situations are very different legally.
No one is suggesting legal action against Comcast.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 18 July 2014, 01:24 AM
Beachlife!'s Avatar
Beachlife! Beachlife! is offline
 
Join Date: 22 June 2001
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 28,671
Default

As an employee, I've had employers try to dock my pay and I've missed out on bonuses I felt I was entitled to. In both cases the money was (would have been) sorely missed. They felt very different to me. One was the employer trying to overtly screw me over the other was an unpleasant situation.

The situation isn't one that I would care to work in, but he's not having his pay docked regardless of how much he is counting on the money.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 18 July 2014, 01:33 AM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,585
Default

The difference has been acknowledged. Some of us don't consider it as significant as you do.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 18 July 2014, 02:01 AM
erwins's Avatar
erwins erwins is offline
 
Join Date: 04 April 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 12,368
Default

I don't have a problem with anyone lying to avoid being hassled. I strongly disagree that a customer not lying for whatever reason is responsible for "hurting" the service rep. The responsibility for bad behavior is entirely on Comcast.

I suppose an organized campaign of lying by the majority of customers could eventually be a useful protest tool because it would make Comcast's tracking numbers pretty meaningless. But then they'd probably just require service reps to hard sell people who were leaving the country, too, and still withhold incentive pay.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 18 July 2014, 02:20 AM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 13,155
Default

I don't think they're legally allowed to attempt to keep a contract with customers who are moving outside of their service area.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 18 July 2014, 03:47 AM
erwins's Avatar
erwins erwins is offline
 
Join Date: 04 April 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 12,368
Default

They probably can't force you to keep paying, but they can't do that if you're canceling because you decided that TV is bad for you either. (There may be early termination fees though). They can still hassle you over whether you're really moving, whether you're coming back and want your cable waiting for you when you get back, are you subletting, etc. If you're saying they can't ask those things, then I'd like to see a cite for that.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 18 July 2014, 04:46 AM
Beachlife!'s Avatar
Beachlife! Beachlife! is offline
 
Join Date: 22 June 2001
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 28,671
Default

I'm not sure I ever signed a contract with either Comcast or my current cable provider, AT&T.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 18 July 2014, 04:56 AM
erwins's Avatar
erwins erwins is offline
 
Join Date: 04 April 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 12,368
Default

I signed a contract when Comcast hooked up our cable. But I don't think there was even an early termination fee. I can cancel whenever I want, for whatever reason. And as far as I know they can ask me not to cancel no matter the reason I give.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 18 July 2014, 05:01 AM
Beachlife!'s Avatar
Beachlife! Beachlife! is offline
 
Join Date: 22 June 2001
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 28,671
Default

Maybe that more accurately describes what I did, signed a contract with no cancellation penalties.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Halloween corpse display man told to 'tone it down' by police Andrew of Ware Social Studies 11 01 November 2013 11:25 PM
The White House's Shape Shifting Alien Secret Service Agent BrianB Fauxtography 17 02 April 2013 08:03 PM
IRS Agent Accused of Using Tax Penalty Threat As a Coercion for Sex snopes NFBSK Gone Wild! 1 04 February 2013 02:04 PM
'Alien hand' spotted on estate agent website: ET sell home? snopes Fauxtography 19 24 September 2009 01:09 PM
More food labels take an ominous tone on allergens snopes Medical 3 28 December 2007 03:26 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.