snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 07 July 2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
In no way ever have we encountered the kind of conservatism and religious fervor that some posting here seem to take for granted.
Neither have I. The reports from some posters I find very suspect. It often seems like an attempt to smear any who disagree with the said posters. Maybe there is another explanation, but I on't know what it would be.
Old 07 July 2014, 02:12 AM

I just had a lengthier post get eaten, so I'll keep this short. I've never encountered what Avril described while I lived in the South, but there's no doubt that the South is more conservative and more confrontationally religious than many other areas of the country.
Old 07 July 2014, 02:13 AM

ATNM, I understand Sue's comment, but I don't understand yours.
Sue, not all of Canada is the same so we can hardly expect the US to be. Think about political divides in Canada, for example - the West Coast - or indeed how different the East Coast way of life is to ours.
There are plenty of places in the US where most people feel the same as I do about these pictures. And for that I am glad.
Old 07 July 2014, 02:18 AM

I take it I'm the suspect poster, and ANTM wants to avoid outright calling me a liar. Okay. But I'd also like to point out that I was in a rural area in South Carolina with New Jersey plates. Said old man had probably never seen such a thing in all his life.

He followed up his worries about my church going with an offer to pay for my gas and buy me lunch. I declined.

I have not experienced things like that in Atlanta or Birmingham, for what that is worth, despite one memorable Atlanta effort to save my soul.
Old 07 July 2014, 02:50 AM

No, Avril, I was not thinking of that post at all. I was responding only to Sue, whom I did not think was speaking only or even particularly of that post. She referred to 'some postings' which clearly refers to more than one. Your post seems to me to describe someone who simply had no familiarity with things out of his precinct, an was concerned for your well-being: religious, yes, but not necessarily kookily so, and no indication of him being conservative (though the odds are good).
Old 07 July 2014, 03:01 AM

What are the posts you find suspect, and apparent attempts to smear people who disagree?
Old 07 July 2014, 03:10 AM

For the record I certainly never intended to express doubt about the experiences others have related. My only point was because I've tended to only visit a handful of northern states my experiences have given me a different perspective that has been challenged and informed by those sharing here.
Old 07 July 2014, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
It horrifies me that you can walk around a store with an assault rifle slung around your torso. There is just no need for that.
I accept (with reluctance) there may be one or more people in the grocery store carrying concealed weapons; as they are not brandishing I don't know who they are and I know whoever they are they aren't advertising themselves as threats to my life. It's a pleasant fiction.

I was at a convenience store once and was shocked to see someone not wearing a local police uniform and carrying a holstered gun; I only caught my breath when I realized he was wearing the more casual uniform of a park ranger.

If I saw someone not a law enforcement officer, openly carrying a weapon, I'd simply turn on my heel, deposit my purchases in some quiet corner, and fastwalk out of that place. I don't care if you're brandishing a Mini-14 to frighten me into supporting your gun rights or brandishing a Mini-14 to frighten me into giving you my wallet, it still has no place in civilized society. If you want to call modern America the Wild Wild West, so be it: go ahead and check your guns with the Sheriff or else you're not allowed to enter our town.
Old 07 July 2014, 04:13 AM

Alchemy, I feel exactly the same way you do. I've been that person at the convenience store who witnessed someone not a police officer packing pistols openly. The law in our state allows this, and this company will not post no gun signs. I know both of the guys who came in like that, and trust me they are not the people I want carrying guns around with them. They are both dumber than posts and were only doing to prove that they could.

My big problem? I was working in that store and couldn't just leave. We were given permission to politely ask the customers to not carry when we were working. The one guy I knew well agreed not to since I asked nicely, but informed me that the store ought to post a sign. He told me he always had his gun with him, and I just wanted to ask him what he was so afraid of that he had to walk around with a gun all of the time.
Old 07 July 2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Your post seems to me to describe someone who simply had no familiarity with things out of his precinct, an was concerned for your well-being: religious, yes, but not necessarily kookily so, and no indication of him being conservative (though the odds are good).
He thought there were no churches in New Jersey.

He thought that if I was in South Carolina, God must have sent me there to encounter Christianity. He suspected I was there was because I had no money to pay for my gas or buy food, and that by rescuing me, he could prove that God was real. He said things to me along these lines. He was quite disappointed that I was really and truly just passing through, with valid cash and credit cards, and not hungry. And that I am a member of a church in the town where I live.

He was kooky, yes. And he had some bizarre stereotypes of New Jersey in his head. Maybe he watched too much of the Sopranos and Jersey Shore; I don't know. But the encounter certainly wasn't entirely benign.
Old 07 July 2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
If I saw someone not a law enforcement officer, openly carrying a weapon, I'd simply turn on my heel, deposit my purchases in some quiet corner, and fastwalk out of that place. I don't care if you're brandishing a Mini-14 to frighten me into supporting your gun rights or brandishing a Mini-14 to frighten me into giving you my wallet, it still has no place in civilized society. If you want to call modern America the Wild Wild West, so be it: go ahead and check your guns with the Sheriff or else you're not allowed to enter our town.
This is reassuring to hear - it's precisely how I feel, but we live in a country with no right to bear arms as such, and it's too easy to forget that the visible, vocal open carriers aren't the majority
Old 07 July 2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
If I saw someone not a law enforcement officer, openly carrying a weapon, I'd simply turn on my heel, deposit my purchases in some quiet corner, and fastwalk out of that place. I don't care if you're brandishing a Mini-14 to frighten me into supporting your gun rights or brandishing a Mini-14 to frighten me into giving you my wallet, it still has no place in civilized society.
There was an apt Tom The Dancing Bug comic a couple of weeks ago along similar lines:

http://www.gocomics.com/tomthedancin...3#.U7pRxbF9Kp0
Old 07 July 2014, 11:01 AM

Are the open carry supporters also endorsing an open carry in schools?

Seriously asking, no snark intended.
Old 07 July 2014, 01:42 PM

A lot of them want the teachers to be visibly armed.
Old 08 July 2014, 01:34 PM

Teacher

Bill That Would Allow Teachers To Carry Guns Gains ...
►►
miami.cbslocal.com/.../bill-that-would-al...
WFOR‑TV

I posted this one because I am a teacher in Hollywood FL, but there are plenty other places discussing it, too. If you think Florida Man stories are outlandish now just wait.

Seriously, one teacher I work with is an ex-cop and she said she would volunteer to be the one if it comes to each school being required to have an armed teacher. She said she would only trust herself.
Old 08 July 2014, 05:00 PM

I have not heard of any push for open-carry in schools. I have heard of wanting to allow some teachers, like the ex-cop NAA mentioned or others who have the inclination and safety/use training, to conceal-carry at the schools.
Old 08 July 2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
My big problem? I was working in that store and couldn't just leave. We were given permission to politely ask the customers to not carry when we were working. The one guy I knew well agreed not to since I asked nicely, but informed me that the store ought to post a sign. He told me he always had his gun with him, and I just wanted to ask him what he was so afraid of that he had to walk around with a gun all of the time.
I'm just curious: Have you asked your employer what is their policy regarding compensation for any harm that you might receive while enforcing/politely requesting their customers to refrain from carrying? If it's official company policy that the store employees are to enforce the no-carry rule (instead of a person who is trained in dealing with disarming people), then they should really have a policy to handle any damage that you might face while enforcing that policy
Old 08 July 2014, 07:15 PM

It doesn't sound like they have any such policy. Sylvanz said she was given permission to ask people not to carry in the store. She didn't say she was required to do so.
Old 08 July 2014, 07:27 PM

Whether it is policy to allow them to ask or require them to, any harm should be covered under the general workman's compensation like any other workplace related injury would be.
Old 08 July 2014, 08:52 PM

Cowboy The Colorado waitresses who tote food -- and firearms

The town is called Rifle. The grill is called Shooters. So it's no surprise that the waitresses have an unusual dress code, CBS News correspondent Barry Petersen reports.

"I am carrying a Ruger 357 Blackhawk," said Ashlee Saenz, a waitress at Shooters. "I like the old style revolvers, and I just like big guns."

When owner Lauren Boebert started carrying a gun openly, which is legal in most parts of Colorado, the waitresses accessorized as well.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/waitress...food-firearms/