snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 26 May 2014, 10:31 PM

Default Weird things you want to do

....but you don't have any reason to do them.

I was just wondering if anybody else has odd urges to do something that they don't have a need/reason to be doing. For some reason lately, I find myself wanting to tour high schools, and just see what they're like nowadays. Realistically, I know that they probably haven't changed all that much from when I was a student (aside from computers are probably now commonplace, and they were just being introduced when I was in high school.) I just find myself thinking it'd be fun to walk down the halls, see everything decked out in the school colors, see the classrooms and lockers and such, compare the different architectures (there's a really old-fashioned high school here that looks more like a formal Catholic church than it does a high school), and then there's schools here that've been built in the past five years that I'd like to see the insides of.

I don't know why. I was okay with high school--it was neither great nor horrible for me and I haven't particularly missed it. I don't have kids, so I have no reason to be curious about high schools (and I only seem to be curious about high schools, not elementary or junior high schools.) So it strikes me as weird I want to do this.

Anybody got something odd they want to do that doesn't make sense?

Magdalene
Old 26 May 2014, 10:35 PM

Sometimes I get the random urge to hide under a desk at work.
Old 26 May 2014, 10:45 PM

I used to get that when I was in college, moonfall. I eventually realized it was related to my hormonal cycle. I guess I just feel vulnerable at certain times of the month.
Old 26 May 2014, 11:07 PM

I have always thought that if I were to ever restore an old car, it would be interesting to restore some oddball car that no one collects, like say a 1960s or 70s Toyota Corolla or Datsun 110 or something.
Old 26 May 2014, 11:15 PM

I currently have the urge to take up nail art and/or learn to alter clothing so I can do fabulous things with thrift store finds; alas, I have neither time nor any money to spare to indulge in such hobbies, and neither really makes sense with the way I am living now. Elaborate manicures are not professional in my world, and neither is a funky sense of style.
Old 26 May 2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
For some reason lately, I find myself wanting to tour high schools, and just see what they're like nowadays. Realistically, I know that they probably haven't changed all that much from when I was a student (aside from computers are probably now commonplace, and they were just being introduced when I was in high school.) I just find myself thinking it'd be fun to walk down the halls, see everything decked out in the school colors, see the classrooms and lockers and such, compare the different architectures (there's a really old-fashioned high school here that looks more like a formal Catholic church than it does a high school), and then there's schools here that've been built in the past five years that I'd like to see the insides of.
I have a bit of this, too. The elementary school I attended (in the 70s) underwent some massive renovations many years ago. Since that time, I've always wanted go to back there and see what it looks like now.

But in this day and age with school security being what it is and people hyper-paranoid about anything having to do with kids, one can't just call up an elementary school office and ask for a tour.
Old 26 May 2014, 11:58 PM

Mouse

I always wanted to ride the luggage thing at the airport.
Old 27 May 2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
I have a bit of this, too. The elementary school I attended (in the 70s) underwent some massive renovations many years ago. Since that time, I've always wanted go to back there and see what it looks like now.

But in this day and age with school security being what it is and people hyper-paranoid about anything having to do with kids, one can't just call up an elementary school office and ask for a tour.
That's what stops me too. While it is just curiosity to see the inside, and zip interest in the kids, in this day and age, school authorities would probably wonder why a middle-aged woman with no kids would want to tour a high school. And you can't just stroll into the building on your own anymore. (I think people could when I went to school.)

Magdalene
Old 27 May 2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I always wanted to ride the luggage thing at the airport.
Me too, even though I know it'd be the most boring carousel ever.
Old 27 May 2014, 02:00 AM

I would really like to spend some time on a ship at sea. Not a cruise, a working ship.
Old 27 May 2014, 02:16 AM

Oooh! I want to take a transatlantic cruise!

And to ride Amtrak coast to coast, in an actual sleeper.

Also, to drive a bus.
Old 27 May 2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
While it is just curiosity to see the inside, and zip interest in the kids, in this day and age, school authorities would probably wonder why a middle-aged woman with no kids would want to tour a high school.
They are renovating my old highschool and it seems that they are giving tours of some sort - the woman who organized the last big reunion went with a small group from our class - she even posted pictures on Facebook.

She doesn't have kids, but as the alumni chairperson she has stronger ties to the high school than the rest of us without kids.

Probably wouldn't hurt to call the front office, explain that you're an alumni (if applicable) and ask if there's any time that you could visit.

Me? Would love to go on one of those fancy schmancy multi-day train trips. Alas, I would need someone to help me with my wardrobe, and probably a few other things. Not to mention the cost.
Old 27 May 2014, 06:24 AM

Glasses

I'd love to touch more major bodies of water. I've swum in the Pacific, the Gulf of Mexico, and Lake Erie. I've waded in the Atlantic and have been splashed by the Ohio River. I've taken a tour boat from the Westminster Bridge to the Tower Bridge on the Thames. I'd dearly like to add more to that list and I would love to have the Mississippi River next. The Indian Ocean is a daydream.

Morning
grew up on an extremely minor body of water - Buckeye Lake
Old 27 May 2014, 01:26 PM

I would like to walk across the country/continent.

I would, however, like to be accompanied by someone driving a nice camper/van, so I don't have to carry anything more than lunch and a rainshirt, and would be assured of a comfortable place to sleep each night.

Also, somebody's going to need to take care of several cats and a dog; not to mention the farm. So, all in all, I don't think this is actually going to happen.
Old 27 May 2014, 01:36 PM

I'd love to build a treehouse in the middle of a woods somewhere, just because I always wanted to when I was a kid.

When I see this topic title, though, I keep thinking about a joke involving a deli worker and a pickle slicer.

- music "oh, they fired her, too" geek
Old 27 May 2014, 01:38 PM

It's not unusual, IME, for schools to have open houses at newly built or renovated schools.
Old 27 May 2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I would really like to spend some time on a ship at sea. Not a cruise, a working ship.
http://www.freighter-travel.com/
Old 27 May 2014, 02:14 PM

I mentioned here once before that whenever I see a pigeon or other city bird on the ground, I have this weird desire to pick it up and hold it like a phone to my ear.

Glass blowing. A cross country train trip (a local photographer I follow just did the Rocky Mountaineer trip, and it reawakened the whole train thing again). I also have a weird thing for hotels. I like the trip surrounding the hotel, but the hotel itself is part if the experience for me. There's something about sleeping in a different place, especially if it's visually interesting, that I like. When I was in design school, I actually focused on hospitality design, and my program-long project was around (good) mind games you could use to enhance a person's vacation or business travel. If I had the funds, I'd love to just check out different hotels in cool locations (it probably doesn't help that I'm writing this from a not-great hotel right now).
Old 27 May 2014, 02:17 PM

quink, you might enjoy the Tower Hotel in Niagara Falls.
Old 27 May 2014, 05:48 PM

Before bed bugs started making a comeback, I loved hotels. But then a friend brought the bed bug nightmare back to her apartment after a trip, and having heard about what it was like, I now find most hotels extremely anxiety-producing.

But even so, I'd love to spend the night at some uber luxury hotel sometime.