snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 19 April 2014, 01:17 PM

Disney 20 Horrific Things That Happened at Disneyland as Told by Employees

http://www.tickld.com/x/20-horrific-...ened-at-disney

Some of these are a bit on the gross side. Some happened at Disney World/EPCOT rather than Disneyland, and one was at a Disney Store. Not sure how many of them I believe. And if anyone can explain #16, I'd appreciate it.
Old 19 April 2014, 02:04 PM

Tarazan's Treehouse????
Old 19 April 2014, 03:40 PM

It reads more like "20 Urban Legends About Disneyland Told By A Friend of a Friend". Some of them may well be true but just about all of them have that UL smell.
Old 19 April 2014, 03:45 PM

I dunno.. Some sound reasonable, some sound exaggerated (particularly the ones that involve a perfectly executed 'punch line'), and some sound made up. Particularly that there were two 'baby in a bag' stories; sounds like something you'd have some co worker tell you that 'happened' and then you repeat the story to others but starring yourself.
Old 19 April 2014, 04:15 PM

Roll eyes

Quote:
I was sitting with a group of guys by where Mickey and Minnie get dressed. When they came out, the guys started cat-calling Minnie. The guy that was Mickey said, in a perfect Mickey voice, "If you look at my girlfriend again I'm gonna pop ya!"
Yes, I'd certainly classify that experience as "horrific."
Old 19 April 2014, 05:31 PM

The "baby in a bag" I can at least understand the explanation for (apart from "people are stupid"). You've got people who want to go on the ride and don't have anyone to watch the kid, who is too small to go on it, so they try to sneak. (Incidentally, the park actually has a way of handling this for couples; I forget what they call it, but basically one parent watches the kid while the other rides; then you hand off the child and the other parent rides without having to wait in line again.)

That doesn't mean it actually happened, of course.

Most of these do sound fairly suspicious, which is why I had originally posted this under Disney UL's, but it was moved almost immediately.
Old 19 April 2014, 06:10 PM

Given the incredibly high number of people moving through Disneyland every day I really don't doubt that a whole bunch of stuff like this has happened in the 58 years that the park has been open. Whether the exact stories in that link really happened is another matter, however ...
Old 19 April 2014, 07:15 PM

Disney

As if a six-foot mouse walking on its hind legs wasn't horrific enough.
Old 19 April 2014, 09:15 PM

Snake

We saw a Southern black racer snake making its way out of the Animal Kingdom park just as it opened one summer day. It was two or two and a half feet long and was gliding along a weaving course the way they do. A couple of people screamed, but one guy said "It's not real." I wanted to suggest that he pick it up (they bluff-attack something fierce but are not venemous--don't threaten to touch one too much or you will be bitten, however). My daughter-in-law wouldn't let me tease the guy, though, and the snake vanished in some undergrowth.

This wasn't the monster snake in the list, but it was true that not all that many guests noticed the critter, although some were within a yard of it.
Old 20 April 2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
And if anyone can explain #16, I'd appreciate it.
It looks like the Tickld item has been badly copied from another website.

#19 on This Disney employee horror story list makes sense:

Quote:
A mother climb a tree and swing down in the middle of another familyís meet and greet with Beast. She didnít want to wait in line.
Three people in wheelchairs in the same tree at another time. I have no idea.
Old 20 April 2014, 12:59 PM

I just remembered that I know someone who works on the rides at [redacted], I'll ask her if anything like this happens there.
Old 20 April 2014, 04:12 PM

Update: She says "A good chunk of these do sound like they would be accurate, yeah."
Old 22 April 2014, 02:12 AM

Disney

Aside from the two "baby in a bag" stories, and maybe the one about the grown man dropping trou and pooping, none of these really scream "Fake!"
Old 22 April 2014, 10:26 AM

Icon97

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcolakis View Post
Aside from the two "baby in a bag" stories [snip] none of these really scream "Fake!"
Given the crazy lengths that people go to in order to cut the lines I don't actually doubt that people would do this rather than miss a turn on a ride.

Article about the growing trend in hiring disables people to pose as family members so they could cut to the front of lines

Blog post on the many different ways of cheating the lines at theme parks
Old 22 April 2014, 10:00 PM

Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcolakis View Post
Aside from the two "baby in a bag" stories, and maybe the one about the grown man dropping trou and pooping, none of these really scream "Fake!"
Given that even the bathrooms at Disney parks have long lines, I wouldn't be surprised at someone pooping outside (although I assume public urination is more common.)

I'm not surprised by the snakes at Animal Kingdom either. The Florida Disney parks are surrounded by wooded areas. I've seen rabbits and IIRC an armadillo. Seeing a snake in Florida is not strange at all.
Old 22 April 2014, 11:10 PM

Snake

I personally saw an alligator in one of the waterways at Animal Kingdom. He didn't seem to be in an exhibit; he was just swimming idly by.
Old 23 April 2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfall View Post
Given that even the bathrooms at Disney parks have long lines, I wouldn't be surprised at someone pooping outside (although I assume public urination is more common.)

I'm not surprised by the snakes at Animal Kingdom either. The Florida Disney parks are surrounded by wooded areas. I've seen rabbits and IIRC an armadillo. Seeing a snake in Florida is not strange at all.
Quite right. Any time you are outdoors in Florida, you are likely to be no more than twenty feet from the nearest snake.
Old 23 April 2014, 11:12 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
I personally saw an alligator in one of the waterways at Animal Kingdom. He didn't seem to be in an exhibit; he was just swimming idly by.
When I stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort years ago they sternly warned against swimming in the little lake there. Yep, because gators ended up in it frequently.
Old 23 April 2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Quite right. Any time you are outdoors in Florida, you are likely to be no more than twenty feet from the nearest snake.
Are you making more work for snopes and Barbara in the future?
Old 23 April 2014, 03:08 PM

I wouldn't say that one is true everywhere, but once you get out of the cities you are probably reasonably close to a snake or two. Possibly also a gator, depending on how close you are to the nearest water ( and you are never very far from some spring or river or swamp in Fl.)