snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 06 February 2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
(Remember when you could buy cigarettes in machines....? Do they still have those anywhere?)
Recently I saw an old cigarette machine that had been repurposed to sell small pieces of art from local artists. It was really neat.
Old 06 February 2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
(Remember when you could buy cigarettes in machines....? Do they still have those anywhere?)
I saw a cigarette machine in a Delray Beach bar in 2011. I'm not sure if it was functional or just a decorative momento. I wanted to take a picture of it but didn't have a camera on me at the time.
Old 06 February 2014, 11:51 PM

I think we still have them around in some places - although not nearly as ubiquitous as they once were.
Old 07 February 2014, 12:22 AM

Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I think we still have them around in some places - although not nearly as ubiquitous as they once were.
That made me chuckle, what with all the things that are reported you can get from vending machines in Japan.
Old 07 February 2014, 12:25 AM

I dunno. I saw some weird stuff being sold in German vending machines that I've never seen here. Actually, I haven't seen that many weird vending machines here. Until not so long ago we used to be able to buy canned beer from a machine just about anywhere but I think they shut those down.
Old 07 February 2014, 02:28 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
That varies by state. You can't buy hard liquor at Wal-Mart or other grocery stores in Florida.
I understand that. My point was that in the next-closest grocery store, the hard liquor is on the shelf, and only the "airplane bottles" are behind a counter. It must not be law, but rather, store policy, to do it this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
The old electro-mechanical cigarette machines seemed to go away when it was no longer practical to put enough coins in the mechanism to pay for a pack. These machines only accepted coins and I don't know if they were even electrically operated - the mechanical mechanism reminded me of a gumball machine. The $1 coin arrived in Canada in 1987 and by then a 20-pack of smokes was maybe $8 or more. I'm pretty sure that by the time the $2 coin arrived in 1995, the machines were simply gone.
Old 07 February 2014, 02:59 AM

Several years ago I was in a bar with an old-school cigarette machine. To operate it, you had to buy a token at the bar, presumably after showing ID. That was the first one I'd seen since I was a child.

Our local art museum has one that sells small works of art, like the one 1958Fury described.
Old 07 February 2014, 08:12 PM

The last time I saw a cigarette vending machine was in a bar up the street from me(I saw it while walking past, mind you). I don't know if it's still there since the indoor smoking ban went into effect.
Old 10 February 2014, 02:50 AM

Speaking of things that I thought were ancient history, I was at the doctor this weekend, and while I was in the exam room waiting for the doc to poke his head in, I was leafing through a magazine, and I was taken aback to see a cigarette ad! I thought those had banned in 1970s or something. In any case, I hadn't seen one since about the 1970s.

Nick
Old 10 February 2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
Speaking of things that I thought were ancient history, I was at the doctor this weekend, and while I was in the exam room waiting for the doc to poke his head in, I was leafing through a magazine, and I was taken aback to see a cigarette ad! I thought those had banned in 1970s or something. In any case, I hadn't seen one since about the 1970s.

Nick
Did you check the date on the magazine? Some waiting rooms' magazines seem to never get traded out.
Old 10 February 2014, 03:01 AM

I didn't check the date but the ad had a QR code on it.

Nick
Old 10 February 2014, 01:47 PM

According to this article R. J. Reynolds is advertising in magazines again. Apparently there never was a complete ban on advertising in print, only on the ways in which they chose to advertise. I'm surprised by this as I thought there actually was a legally enforced (?) ban:

Quote:
Magazines, which continue to face headwinds in print advertising, are free to accept advertising from tobacco companies. But the 1998 settlement between the four largest tobacco companies and 46 U.S. states, a pact known as the Master Settlement Agreement, created broad restrictions on the marketing of cigarettes, including language that prohibited the targeting of youth. In 2001, the state of California sued R.J. Reynolds, alleging it violated the ban by placing ads in magazines with high teen readership. Three years later, R.J. Reynolds settled with the state of California, agreeing to restrictions on its advertisements in magazines with a large number of teen readers.

http://adage.com/article/media/camel...nt-ads/241818/
Old 10 February 2014, 02:13 PM

The ban in question was on TV and radio (and not for all forms of tobacco).
Old 10 February 2014, 02:35 PM

To clarify, the ban on TV cigarette ads predates the 1998 settlement by several decades.
Old 10 February 2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Temple View Post
The ban in question was on TV and radio (and not for all forms of tobacco).
I've still seen ads for snus.