snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 05 February 2014, 11:44 PM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post

The ruling to prevent pharmacies from selling tobacco products was fairly mild in Ontario, compared to Quebec. One of the biggest pharmacy chains in Canada is owned by Jean Coutu - himself a pharmacist - who vigorously fought the same restriction in Quebec, and was even threatened with removal from the (self-governing) profession of pharmacists.
PJC only recently stopped selling tobacco, say 3 or so years ago. Other types of shops have to have them hidden away from sight, generally behind sliding or folding doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I don't know about other grocery stores in Ontario but I do know that Loblaws (or at least some of their stores anyway) do sell cigarettes and also have in-store pharmacies.
Same in Qc., especially Montreal.some of the larger supermarkets have in-store pharmacies and sell tobacco products.
Old 05 February 2014, 11:53 PM

Oddly, cigarettes are only available at a specific area of the store. Usually the service counter or a specific check out. However, as far as I can recall at least at Meijer,(I don't drink so I don't pay much attention) the liquor is on the shelves with the beer and the wine. This is just a common area not behind a counter.

ETA: We sell liquor where I work now. We have it behind the counter more as a theft prevention I think.

A bit of a related hi-jack: Some of the laws governing the sale of hard liquor here are arcane and weird. You are required to have x amount of floor space, (I think) parking, and x (a pretty large amount) of tobacco products. Our store is small so we have some ridiculous number of zig zag rolling papers in our crawl space that we can't sell. Rolling papers, it seems, count as tobacco inventory and they do not expire.
Old 06 February 2014, 01:05 AM

I remember reading somewhere that in the 1930s, doctors used to recommend that people take up smoking to try and lose weight. It was even recommended to pregnant woman.
Old 06 February 2014, 01:09 AM

Sylvanz - it occured to me on the way home that the alcohol sales rules here must have more to do with store policy than law. At Wal-Mart, hard liquor is at one register, but wine and beer are on the shelves. At the other local grocery chain, hard liquor is on the shelves but the bottles have those plastic locks on them. Only premium hard liquor is in a locked cabinet, but that's still out at the "liquor" section. Cigarettes and small bottles of liquor are sold at the customer service counter.

I don't think that there was ever a time - even when I was a kid buying cigarettes for my grandmother - when the cigarettes weren't behind the counter and you had to request the product, rather than just picking them up off the shelf. Is it like that everywhere? Was it like that always?
Old 06 February 2014, 01:31 AM

Liquor rules vary by state, county, and city (at times). Here, grocery stores can't carry hard liquor at all. Liquor stores are essentially state run. Across the border in California, grocery stores--and pharmacies like CVS for that matter--have hard liquor out on the shelves. In Florida, grocery stores can't have hard liquor on the shelves, but can have an attached liquor store with a separate entrance. Texas (and many other states--I'm just naming places I've been) has dry counties, and places where you can only get a drink at a private club.
Old 06 February 2014, 01:39 AM

Last I knew we still had a few dry counties/cities. I'm not sure if that's true anymore. I recall a vote on a dry spot not long ago, but I don't recall the outcome.

Mike: When I was pregnant for my first son age 27, I actually worked in the same store I do now though under different management. At that time it was common for cigarettes to be on a shelf like the chips and the candy. I know it was an issue then that the teens were "stealing us blind". As I was leaving employment there the store was just installing a convex mirror to watch the cigarette aisle. I don't really know if it's law or self preservation to keep them behind the counter. It could be six of one and a half dozen of the other. As expensive as tobacco is in this state cigarettes etc. are high theft items.
Old 06 February 2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I agree. But what are flower remedies?
From Wikipedia, - Bach flower remedies are extreme dilutions of flower material developed by Edward Bach, an English homeopath, in the 1930s. Bach believed that dew found on flower petals retain healing properties of that plant. The remedies are intended primarily for emotional and spiritual conditions, including but not limited to depression, anxiety, insomnia and stress.
Old 06 February 2014, 06:11 AM

Thanks Skeptic
Old 06 February 2014, 06:32 AM

Hopefully, this is the start of a major trend among retailers.
Old 06 February 2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
But I'm stunned that in this day and age that chemists ever sold tobacco. I don't ever remember seeing it here in Australia, or in Ireland and England where I have lived previously.
I can't recall chemist ever selling tobacco here either Skeptic. When my parents owned their newsagency tobacco products were behind counter, I am guessing it was a legal requirement.

Here the spot behind the counter at chemist is reserved for no prescription medications that have other restriction on it (pseudoephedrine products and others products that need extra advice) as Hero_Mike said.
Old 06 February 2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Here the spot behind the counter at chemist is reserved for no prescription medications that have other restriction on it (pseudoephedrine products and others products that need extra advice) as Hero_Mike said.
How large is a chemists' shop, typically? Places like CVS and Walgreens get called "pharmacies," but they're actually fairly large stores that happen to have a pharmacy at the back. Cigarettes would be at the regular checkout counter, not the pharmacy itself. I think pharmaceutical sales are still most of their revenue, but by floor space they're just small grocery stores. It's not really that jarring that they have cigarettes because they're not that different from anywhere else that sells cigarettes.
Old 06 February 2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
How large is a chemists' shop, typically?
Quite large stores. Not supermarket sized but medium sized. Most are now part of chains. I think they also must have to be own by a Pharmacist as the owner is listed with their qualifications (the chains overall are owned by Pharmacist with each local store owned by another)

Prescription products are behind the counter in the back of the store, then directly behind the counter are the sort of stuff I said before. In "public access" the sort of drugs you would get on the shelves in supermarkets as well as stuff like beauty and body products, first aid kind of stuff, and yes pseudo science kind of remedies.

Of course does a large store mean the same thing in Australia as it does in America.
Old 06 February 2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Of course does a large store mean the same thing in Australia as it does in America.
After a quick search of the web, I suspect not. I couldn't find much info about Australian supermarket sizes, but I did find a quote from the managing director of Coles saying that he thought 3,000 m2 (32,000 square feet) was the optimal size for a supermarket. So I'd guess a large supermarket would be something around twice that size. That's similar to the UK, where a standard Tesco supermarket is around 2,700 m2 (29,000 square feet) and the largest format - Tesco Extra - is around 6,600 m2 (72,000 square feet).

Now, compared to something like a Walmart Supercenter, European and Australian supermarkets are tiny. Walmarts average 18,000 m2 (197,000 square feet) - big enough to contain three of what I'd called a "large supermarket" - and the smallest Wallmart is about the size of the largest supermarket in the UK.
Old 06 February 2014, 08:42 AM

I think the largest grocery selection I've ever seen was actually in a Tesco Extra (evidently one of the largest ones) in the UK. The whole store was smaller than a Walmart but the grocery area was much bigger than anything I've seen here. (It was built on top of its parking lot and IIRC there were little lights on the ceiling of the parking area to tell you if a space was occupied. We need that here.)

Last edited by lord_feldon; 06 February 2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06 February 2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I don't know about other grocery stores in Ontario but I do know that Loblaws (or at least some of their stores anyway) do sell cigarettes and also have in-store pharmacies.
The 3 Loblaws in the GTA that i frequent have Pharmacies inside the store, and a smoke shop as a separate entity, inside the building, but outside of the grocery -- not at the Customer Service desk -- but it's own alcove with it's own entrance.
Old 06 February 2014, 03:51 PM

We occassionally still have "dispensary" pharmacies - there's one in the building of my doctor's office back in Canada. It has no display of items for sale - just a pharmacy counter with about 200 square feet of space for the pharmacists. They have some non-prescription items there too, but they are very "medical" in nature and include some vitamins, thermometers, diabetic supplies, etc. There is no stock of diapers, beauty products, food, etc. The only other place where I've seen a similar "dispensary only" pharmacy is in other doctor's offices or hospitals.

NDL - those smoke shops are a new "premium service" as they have a climate-controlled humidor for premium cigars - and only at the Loblaw's affiliated stores - and they even restrict entry only to those who are old enough to smoke.
Old 06 February 2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
The 3 Loblaws in the GTA that i frequent have Pharmacies inside the store, and a smoke shop as a separate entity, inside the building, but outside of the grocery -- not at the Customer Service desk -- but it's own alcove with it's own entrance.
According to the Smoke Free Ontario Act you can't sell cigarettes in a pharmacy or

"An establishment where goods or services are sold or offered for sale to the public, if, i. a pharmacy as defined in the Drug and Pharmacies Regulation Act is located within the establishment, or ii. customers of such a pharmacy can pass into the establishment directly or by the use of a corridor or area used exclusively to connect the pharmacy with the establishment."

The local drugstore that my parents go to does a booming business in cigarettes in a walled off separate little shop accessible only from outside.
Old 06 February 2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
IIRC there were little lights on the ceiling of the parking area to tell you if a space was occupied. We need that here.)
We have those here. Definitely at the airport, and there's at least one other place I've been that has them but I can't remember where.
Old 06 February 2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
At Wal-Mart, hard liquor is at one register, but wine and beer are on the shelves.
That varies by state. You can't buy hard liquor at Wal-Mart or other grocery stores in Florida.
Old 06 February 2014, 09:55 PM

Most groceries around here, hard liquor is out on the shelves, though there may be 'premium' liquor behind locked doors, more for theft prevention than anything else.

I suspect a key in this might be the question of whether tobacco brings customers into the store or not. A lot of convenience stores, for instance, might not make that much off a pack of cigarettes, but it gets people in there who then might buy other products. They may figure that even if they lose the actual cigarette sales, it's not going to do much to reduce to the number of customers who come in the door. I don't know the stats, just guessing.

(Remember when you could buy cigarettes in machines....? Do they still have those anywhere?)