snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 06 December 2013, 02:09 PM

Default Bully Calls News Anchor Fat, News Anchor Destroys Him On Live TV

She maintained herself very well during this rebuttal. Bravo!
Old 06 December 2013, 04:46 PM

Glasses

My favorite quote from this woman's well crafted response to her bully: "I am not the numbers on a scale."

It is hard for us larger folks* to accept this at times. After a lifetime of being made fun of - from the kids on the school bus yelling, the girls sticking rotten bananas in my locker, the boys pushing their friend in front of me and taunting "He likes you" in order to tease the friend and me at the same time, to the adult men in cars screaming out the car window "He likes you!"... yeah, the taunts sometimes stay the same-- to the TV shows and movies that wouldn't dare use a racial or religious jeer but making fun of the fat girl is just dandy, well you sometimes feel as if you are just numbers and your life wouldn't feel so worthless if you'd just ever been strong enough to lose weight. But you didn't lose weight so you are worthless.

I hope her message of standing up for yourself against such bullies gets a wide audience.

*I prefer the straight forward and honest word "fat" instead of larger or hefty or zaftig, etc., but I know that some folks understandably can only hear the mocking as people use the word, so I won't use it to refer to others.
Old 06 December 2013, 05:57 PM

This actually happened in October of 2012. Later, the anchor, Jennifer Livingston, publicly asked people to stop targeting the guy who sent the email Kenneth Krause.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1178124

Now, I found that headline to be misleading. She didn't "defend his position", but she did ask people to lay off.

I found this statement of his to be interesting:

Im in no position to bully her, Kenneth Krause told ABC News. Shes a big media personality. Im just a working stiff.

It came across as Poor Little Me, picked on by the big media star.

Incidentally, Jennifer Livingston is the sister of actor Ron Livingston of Office Space, Sex in the City, and Band of Brothers fame.

On a personal note, I am fed to the back teeth of people trotting out the "role model" excuse. I think part of growing up is realizing that not everyone is famous for a good reason. That not everyone who has a job in the lime light is perfect. And that young people don't have to be perfect in order to have certain positions and maybe even MORE importantly that covering up and lying to appear perfect is not a virtue. You know, that radical idea of making judgement on what you actually perceive and experience and observe.

I mean, seriously, who here looked at a character in sports or entertainment and said "I want to be like that"? Not out of envy, but because you thought that was a good and admirable thing to do.