snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 29 August 2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
What's interesting to me about the way you've worded this question is that you seem to be assuming that people in customer service must deal with an endless line of cranky people because the cranky people are the ones they in turn complain about.
Which brings me back to my original question, why can't this assumption work the other way? Can't we equally assume that all complaints about poor service are, pretty much by definition, not about all customer service people?
Old 29 August 2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
It doesn't just "sound like" they're taking it out on others when they leave the customer service person in tears.
Quote:
There were other people who needed to make someone miserable before they could be satisfied. Agreeing with them didn't help a bit--it would sometimes escalate them, because they weren't getting the upset/defensive/groveling reaction they wanted.
Quote:
I don't think it's about venting (not that that works, either) for those people, but rather that it's an opportunity for them to feel some kind of thrill for having power to lord over people. Think about the worst sort of parents, the worst sort of cops or judges, etc., who use their power over people to try to make themselves bigger, and to humiliate and belittle the people they have power over. These are the same sort of people.
"Oh come on, you're too sensitive. Grow a thicker skin. Okay, maybe we were talking a little fast that time. Hey, next time you think we're getting too frustrated, just tell us."

(Said my parents whenever I brought up their fits of rage, once they've cooled down.)

Well, that explains why whenever they're truly angry and I try to tell them that they need to calm down, they just get angrier. I could see the same thing happening during a customer service exchange.

Last edited by Talleyrand; 29 August 2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 29 August 2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Which brings me back to my original question, why can't this assumption work the other way? Can't we equally assume that all complaints about poor service are, pretty much by definition, not about all customer service people?
Of course - aren't we? The point the OP was making (and it's a point I agree with) is that there are people out there who are belligerent and who, frankly, are always either looking for trouble, or looking to take offense. I think we all know people like this.

In the specific case of the OP despite the fact that an employee and a manager were trying to fix her problem she cussed and carried on and ended up the "conversation" by threatening to get everyone in the restaurant fired. I'm sure when the employees talk about this incident (and they will) they aren't saying "every customer we ever encounter behaves like...." they are saying "we had a real winner come in today, you'll never believe what happened...."
Old 29 August 2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Joe, it would be really helpful if you would quote the people you're talking about, either in this thread or in the media, who accuse anyone complaining about poor customer service of besmirching the name of all customer service people everywhere. Or the people who "treat the expectation of actually getting your product/service provided to you correctly as somehow an unreasonable request." Because I have no idea whom you're arguing with in this thread.
Old 29 August 2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Unless the specific complaint by its wording includes all customer service people, sure. But not if it does.

Assuming that all of anything comes into any particular class should be done with caution.