snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 26 August 2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
From the article:

Expecting someone to actually do their job and provide you with the goods and services as ordered that you paid for is not "treating them like garbage."

No has anyone to treat anyone like garbage, but the entire tone of that article is one of "It's not that big a deal, it's only fast food." Trying to paint the very act of expecting one's order to be correct as unreasonable entitlement isn't doing this argument any favors. Yeah if the story is true the guy was acting like a wad, but then the article goes further and demonizes them for evening having the expectation of his order being correct to be wrong. That's bullcrap.
Agreed.

Granted, the person shouldn't have been so rude, but I also don't buy the argument (which I've heard from others) that "it's only fast food," therefore you can provide poor service.

When I was on the other side of the counter working fast food we had to provide good service or else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
Yea there is a sushi place we used to go to that was really bad at forgetting your orders (it is a go-round so you make special orders but most people eat off the go-round part). We liked the sushi, the location and the price but I'd say they forgot our orders at least half the time (even when it wasn't busy, not that it being busy is an excuse). So we stopped going. Thankfully a better one opened up around the block that has better service and better fish for more or less the same price, I don't think that bodes well for the first place.)
Another one who quit going somewhere (the local Mom and Pop pizza place) because they couldn't get the orders right.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 26 August 2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Agreed.

Granted, the person shouldn't have been so rude, but I also don't buy the argument (which I've heard from others) that "it's only fast food," therefore you can provide poor service.l
The thing with the OP though was she wasn't getting poor service. Yes, a mistake was made with her order but it was an easily fixable mistake that the server and the manager were more than prepared to rectify. That wasn't good enough for this woman who wasn't just rude, she made a big profanity filled scene in the middle of a restaurant because, well basically because she could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post

One thing I don't like about the article is that he seems to assume that because this lady was a NFBSK in this situation she is a NFBSK in every situation that involves customer service people. I think she was insanely out of line, and I've been on the receiving end before. But I don't think this means that every time she is waited upon she turns into this dragon lady.
I don't find it hard to believe that she turns into a dragon lady to some degree or another every time she feels that she has a reason. No one behaves the way she did over something that trivial out of the blue.
Old 26 August 2013, 03:25 PM

Baseball

I have a few customer service experiences, on both sides of the counter.

The first thing, customer service experiences don't stop once the order is delivered. Correcting an order, or replacing an order is also part of the experience. This customer in the OP seems to have stepped off at the initial order delivery.

Second, while we don't have proof that she is a "dragon lady" outside this one example, I have no difficulty believing it. My sister is one that finds incredible fault with almost any fast food order outside a perimeter of her home (she realises that she can burn through any welcome in her town with her complaints) so when travelling with her son's hockey team, she will often find problems, and she is a stubborn little woman. Her logic is that she worked at McDo throughout her high school and college years that she knows what is to be done. She was, after all, a master at all jobs in McDo.

As my customer service experiences match almost everyone else's, I will only describe two. First, at university, I worked in a Wendy's for a very short period of time. Someone phoned into my manager to complain about the burger I made. Manager was understanding and told me that it was not likely my burger, because the customer complained that the fries were cold and the pop was flat, and that there was not enough lettuce on the burger. From my manager, the customer likely did not have all three problems, but wanted to ensure that we knew what poor service we offered. The boss was good about noting it, but would not admonish everyone, but he stayed very aware of the processes we employed in the kitchen.

The second experience was a bit more tricky. As it is long, I'll put it in quotes.

Quote:
I was a subaltern in charge of the soldiers employed in our museum. This museum had a carpentry shop in the rear. We employed three soldiers there, to do framing, plaques, stands, restorations, displays etc. As the regiments do not have enough work to keep three soldiers employed full time in the carpentry shop, we would accept limited work from non-military customers. This work usually ran along the lines of display cases for medals for veterans to framed photographs from the 40s and 50s.

One day, we had a woman come in because she had heard that our framing was good and our prices were unbeatable. As we did not have to pay a wage, or overhead costs, we charged for the materials and then some to help pay for the museum. We took on her order. Six numbered prints. A week later, she came back in and the prints were ready.

She went into a fury, loud and upsetting. Her display was going that night and we messed up all six prints. Despite her selecting the matte around each print, they were somehow off, and we were negligent in not allowing her a viewing before pickup. She pulled out a tape measure and showed how one of her prints, the prize, was 1mm off centre. Unless you had the tape measure out, no one could see it. As the subaltern, I was called to deal with her. I tried explaining that we were soldiers, not craftsmen and that our work is not supposed to be flawless. She wanted to keep all six as they were, but refused to pay. She did not get what she wanted, therefore, did not have to pay. I offered to take off our museum fund part, but she only had to pay for the materials, and she refused.

Finally, the captain came in. He heard her out, offered her the same deal and she refused. He asked her how she would get this corrected, she stated that she would take it to the framing shop in the neighbouring city for repair (if they were to do the original job, one of her six prints would have been framed for the price we were charging all six). The captain offered to arrange the appointment. He called, they would accept the job. He then came, took the off centre print and proceeded to take it out of the frame. She freaked. She needed that for the display that night.

The captain was adamant, that the frame was museum property and that unless it was paid for, leaving with the frame and matte was theft. In the end, she ended up paying for the six. She did not want to pay city prices for the framing. As an epilogue to this long anecdote, the fraiming store in the nearby city had as an employee, the wife of an officer I knew. I asked her about this lady and the framing shop was thisclose to never having to deal with her again. In fact, she created so much trouble for them, she has her own customised pricing rate chart, which encompasses all the extra showings and work that any of her prints require.
Old 26 August 2013, 04:45 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
The thing with the OP though was she wasn't getting poor service. Yes, a mistake was made with her order but it was an easily fixable mistake that the server and the manager were more than prepared to rectify.
Screwing up one order is a mistake; screwing up orders repeatedly is poor service. We can't tell from the single second-hand account related in the OP which of those scenarios is a more accurate descriptor of the customer's experience at this restaurant.
Old 26 August 2013, 04:50 PM

According to the OP the woman claimed getting ketchup on her burger:
Quote:
happens every f*cking time!”
If true a reasonable person would stop going to that particular restaurant not go into a tirade and threaten to get everybody who works there fired. She had a right to be annoyed, she didn't have a right to go ballistic and make a complete fool of herself.
Old 26 August 2013, 05:22 PM

There's a Taco Bell near my house that used to be really bad. Mixed-up orders, unbelievably slow service, unclean atmosphere, and they would often run out of common ingredients like cheese. Eventually I stopped going to that location, and would drive right past it to go to the next closest Taco Bell location.

After about two years I tried it again, and everything was fixed. Today it's one of the best Taco Bells I visit. I'm very happy not to have to drive as far.
Old 26 August 2013, 05:34 PM

There was a Wendy's near one of my former workplaces that we called the Worst Wendy's in the World. One day a fire gutted it. It was rebuilt, staffed with new employees and re-opened, and it was great after that.
Old 26 August 2013, 05:58 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
If true a reasonable person would stop going to that particular restaurant
If true, a reasonable restaurant manager would stop accepting special orders since the staff can't take and/or prepare them properly.
Old 26 August 2013, 07:15 PM

Does the manager of a chain restaurant have a choice? I remember one chain had a 'special orders don't upset us' slogan.
Old 26 August 2013, 07:58 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoitoider View Post
Does the manager of a chain restaurant have a choice?
S/he certainly has a choice to either stop offering a service they can't provide or hire and train staff to provide the offered service.
Old 26 August 2013, 09:29 PM

A manager at a chain restaurant almost certainly does not have the choice to set policy on accepting special orders. Furthermore, s/he has limited ability to deviate from the standard training materials and practices, even if s/he does have a better idea than corporate on how to train employees not to screw up. Firing the employees who repeatedly screw up is about the only option. But of course, new employees always make mistakes, so the problem is not easy to rectify quickly.
Old 26 August 2013, 11:44 PM

Back before I became a vegetarian, I used to go to a local fast food restaurant and order a burger combo (burger, chips, drink) with an extra side salad. What I wanted was a side salad in addition to the combo, but what I'd actually get is a burger, salad, and drink; no chips. Every single time. After talking to the manager (nicely!), it seems that their computer system would automatically replace the chips with a salad if a salad was entered after the combo. If the server wasn't paying attention, either through inexperience or high volume of customers, it was easy to miss. So I solved that problem by ordering the salad first.

My point being that "poor service" isn't always neatly attributed to gross staff incompetence. If (g)you're consistently having orders screwed up, it might be worth looking into why that is, and whether or not (g)you're contributing to the problem.

And, please, it doesn't matter whether the staff screws up once or fifty times in a row: going on a profanity-laced tirade is unacceptable. Period. I'll never forget my boss at a summer job I had back in the 90s. On the rare occasion we'd get an abusive customer, she'd look 'em straight in the eye and say, "I appreciate that you're angry, but you will not speak to me or my employees that way." If things escalated any further, the customer was told to leave or the police would be called.
Old 27 August 2013, 01:22 AM

Exactly, no one deserves to be screamed at or cursed at. If that is how a person chooses to act in a store, restaurant, etc. then they can be kicked out because those places are private property. Making one mistake or several (and really as insane as this woman acted how sure are we that it had happened "every f*cking time") is no excuse to be verbally abusive to another human being.

@ Mad Jay, I may be in customer service, but it's not like I haven't ever experienced bad service. I take my complaints to the people that can actually do something about it.

Yes, you said you were polite, but your implying that people in retail and customer service were "drones" that you can't get good service from makes me wonder about how you addressed the waitperson in question. Yeah, she could have been a real pain in the neck and a lousy waitperson, but you didn't say anything to really imply that her service was bad, just that she didn't respond to your complaints as you would have liked. As for the mind reading comment? Again, you didn't indicate what she actually said so I was left wondering how you knew that this was her attitude. I was left with a) You assumed it was (mind reading) or b) She said so.

Perhaps you should examine your biases and assumptions regarding front line customer service people.
Old 27 August 2013, 01:45 AM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
A manager at a chain restaurant almost certainly does not have the choice to set policy on accepting special orders.
They can most certainly stop accepting types of orders that their employees cannot prepare under current conditions (e.g., due to a shortage of ingredients, lack of sufficient staff on hand, inadequately trained personnel, etc.).

Quote:
Furthermore, s/he has limited ability to deviate from the standard training materials and practices, even if s/he does have a better idea than corporate on how to train employees not to screw up.
It's within the manager's purview to ensure that staff are adequately trained to perform the ordinary operations of their jobs.
Old 27 August 2013, 03:00 AM

If I owned a fast food franchise where the line employees kept screwing up orders first thing I would do is fire the manager.
Old 27 August 2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
They can most certainly stop accepting types of orders that their employees cannot prepare under current conditions (e.g., due to a shortage of ingredients, lack of sufficient staff on hand, inadequately trained personnel, etc.).
A manager can 86 items that require an ingredient the restaurant does not have in stock. A manager cannot, under most chain restaurants' policies, decline to accept substitutions, special orders, etc. due to inadequate staff levels or staff incompetence. I worked in a few chain restaurants for ten years and managed one; I can tell you it's standard industry practice for the corporate office to micromanage these things because inconsistency between locations is considered bad for business. You may disagree with the wisdom of this practice, but that is, in fact, how it's usually done.
Quote:
It's within the manager's purview to ensure that staff are adequately trained to perform the ordinary operations of their jobs.
Again, maybe that's how it should be, but that's not how it usually is. Training materials and minute-by-minute training schedules are handed down from the corporate office, and district managers check compliance. Many restaurants have policies against posting any sort of materials not approved by corporate, such as a hand-written sign next to the register reminding employees to press "subtotal" to add the sales tax after entering all items in the order, before telling the customer the total. (Personal experience here.) I think most of these policies are stupid, but nobody with the power to change them seems interested in my opinion. So bear in mind, when you go to a chain restaurant, that the manager is often little more than a glorified server/cashier, and adjust your expectations accordingly.
Old 27 August 2013, 04:52 PM

If the corporate policies do not allow for not accepting special orders and the corporate policies are not allowing the manager to add extra training or reminder signs, then the manager should either buck policy or force the upper echelons to alter the policy. Simply mentally shrugging their shoulders and thinking that they'll just keep screwing up customer's orders because that's how it is isn't a good policy.
Old 27 August 2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
As for the mind reading comment? Again, you didn't indicate what she actually said so I was left wondering how you knew that this was her attitude. I was left with a) You assumed it was (mind reading) or b) She said so.

Perhaps you should examine your biases and assumptions regarding front line customer service people.
And, without any information, you did assume that I must have mind read her. I don't think I'm the one who needs to examine my biases here.
Old 27 August 2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
the manager should either buck policy or force the upper echelons to alter the policy
In either case, that manager would find him/herself without a job in short order.
Old 27 August 2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
If the corporate policies do not allow for not accepting special orders and the corporate policies are not allowing the manager to add extra training or reminder signs, then the manager should either buck policy
And get fired, most likely.

Quote:
or force the upper echelons to alter the policy.
How, precisely?