snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 08 July 2013, 03:59 PM

Icon06 Metro (DC Subway) rips out Phantom Planterís flowers at Dupont Circle station

It turns out I underestimated Metro bureaucratsí capacity for folly. Two weeks ago, I wrote that the transit system would look silly if it let perish 1,000 flowers planted secretly at the Dupont Circle station by local garden artist Henry Docter, the self-described Phantom Planter. I feared that Metro would merely neglect the flowers. Instead, last Sunday, it sent workmen to yank them out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...a55_story.html
Old 08 July 2013, 04:27 PM

Rain alone could make them wilt if they are planted in an area without drainage and the roots started to rot. Given that they are at the same angle as an escalator, they do appear to be on a steep slope where someone could certainly hurt themselves.

And, in the end, doing something without authorization to something you don't own is still illegal and the owner has no requirement to support your unauthorized changes, even if they are popular.
Old 08 July 2013, 05:09 PM

Icon24

Riding that escalator buzzed is a trip. It must be at the steepest angle allowable.
Old 08 July 2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Rain alone could make them wilt if they are planted in an area without drainage and the roots started to rot. Given that they are at the same angle as an escalator, they do appear to be on a steep slope where someone could certainly hurt themselves.

And, in the end, doing something without authorization to something you don't own is still illegal and the owner has no requirement to support your unauthorized changes, even if they are popular.
1. That's true, but putting a couple of pencil-thin sticks under the planter boxes would alleviate that, it looks like, if that was even a problem. After all, if there were an inward tilt that caught and held water, they would be a terrible mosquito breeding grounds. That makes me think that keeping watered rather than keeping dry enough is the bigger problem.

2. Absolutely. These could easily have been the proverbial 'white elephant' - a gift that is too expensive to maintain to keep. It's a shame that something could not have been worked out though, like soliciting volunteers to keep them watered when needed.
Old 08 July 2013, 05:20 PM

Holy crap, I can barely stand that thing un-buzzed. Wheaton's worse. I have to look at my feet and pray for the end. I loathe those things.
Old 10 July 2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Sure, and the Metro may well have had a good reason for removing them, but if (g)you destroy something popular (even if you are 100% within your rights to do so), particularly when your rational for destroying it may be weak (I don't know for sure in this case, just speaking generally), (g)you shouldn't be surprised when people become upset about it.

ETA: I like how comment number 2 is an anti-Obama comment.. Seriously people who hate Obama must be legally obligated to post an angry comment referencing him or his administration in every news story with a comments section they run across.
Old 11 July 2013, 11:56 PM

Tantrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Holy crap,Wheaton's worse.

What's even worse is when that escalator is out of service and you have to climb the damn thing! Not that I speak from experience or anything!
[that's the nearest Metro stop for me FYI]
Old 12 July 2013, 06:09 AM

Forest Glen is actually deeper. But yea, pretty steep.

DawnStorm I never climbed that escalator. I'd take the elevator.