snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 13 June 2013, 09:21 AM

Default New York Sushi Restaurant Eliminates Tipping Because It Pays Waiters a Salary

New York Sushi Restaurant Eliminates Tipping Because It Pays Waiters A Salary With Benefits

Sushi Yasuda, an upscale restaurant in New York City, is attracting attention for its decision to get rid of tips for waitstaff. Instead of a line for diners to write in a tip amount on their receipts, Sushi Yasuda has printed the following statement: “Following the custom in Japan, Sushi Yasuda’s service staff are fully compensated by their salary. Therefore gratuities are not accepted.”

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...with-benefits/
Old 13 June 2013, 09:50 AM

And here we go....

For my two cents, I think this is a good thing. So long as the restaurant's own personnel policies provide an incentive for good service and have means of monitoring and addressing poor service, there's no real advantage to the tipping culture. Having said that, as entrenched as the practice of tipping is in American society, I don't think that this model would necessarily work well in across the board if implemented unilaterally.
Old 13 June 2013, 11:06 AM

Oncetips are demanded, as seems to be teh case in the US, surely they no longer offer a motivation for better service? And frankly if they did I would more likely tip my surgeon than my barber.
Old 13 June 2013, 02:13 PM

"Following the custom in ancient stereotyped Japan, Sushi Yasuda’s service staff are expected to commit harry caray if the service they provide to you is less than exceptional."
Old 13 June 2013, 02:31 PM

"Following the custome of every single other industry that exists, Sushi Yasuda’s service staff are fully compensated by their salary. Therefore gratuities are not accepted."

And to me that's always been the issue. That this one particular thing has become so completely ingrained in one particular service industry and is rare to unheard of anywhere else.

You Do Job X, I Pay You Y Amount works well everywell else. I've never understood what magically makes table side food service special.
Old 13 June 2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
You Do Job X, I Pay You Y Amount works well everywell else. I've never understood what magically makes table side food service special.
There are certainly lots more areas than that where the pay from the employer is not expected to be the entire compensation for the work, that tips are part of the overall expected remuneration. In fact there are numerous positions where there is no actual 'employer compensation' and the workers are essentially independent businesses working exclusively for tips. Sometimes that includes wait staff, actually, as in some facilities, the tips are so good that there is competition to be accepted as servers without the facility paying a dime of compensation. And frankly, I do not see anything wrong with the recipients of services paying for those services.
Old 13 June 2013, 02:51 PM

Icon401

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
And frankly, I do not see anything wrong with the recipients of services paying for those services.
I don't either, but I would personally prefer restaurants go in this direction (FTR, I tip because that is the system we have), because dining in at a table service place, waitstaff is part of it. It is not like an optional service like someone taking your bags curbside- you could go in line with your bags and not tip, or valet parking when you could park yourself and walk from the parking lot. I guess restaurants that have carry out options would potentially have carry out customers paying for people who dine in in that case.

I would prefer honest pricing that accounts for things that should be included, fair compensation of employees, and elimination of tipping.
Old 13 June 2013, 02:53 PM

Given that tipping is a custom in the US, and given that a tip is no cost to the management, there is no point is not accepting tips. The restaurant can fully compensate its employees however it wants and it makes zero difference to the restaurant if tips are added or not. So why ban them? Is it a problem if the wait staff makes "too much?"
Old 13 June 2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
"Following the custom in ancient stereotyped Japan, Sushi Yasuda’s service staff are expected to commit harry caray if the service they provide to you is less than exceptional."
Is that where they lead the customers in singing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game"?

Nick
Old 13 June 2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
Given that tipping is a custom in the US, and given that a tip is no cost to the management, there is no point is not accepting tips. The restaurant can fully compensate its employees however it wants and it makes zero difference to the restaurant if tips are added or not. So why ban them? Is it a problem if the wait staff makes "too much?"
It can be an attractive promotional posture. "Hate tipping? You won't have to bother with it here, as we do not allow tips, and pay our employees somewhat more than restaurants that have tipping." The Publix grocery stores tout the 'no tipping for car service' line as an attraction.
Old 13 June 2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
Given that tipping is a custom in the US, and given that a tip is no cost to the management, there is no point is not accepting tips.
My best guess is the rule is in place to remove the expectation of tipping so customers don't mentally factor it into the cost of the restraurant.
Old 13 June 2013, 04:28 PM

Although, as somebody pointed out on Facebook, that particular restaurant already costs $300 for sushi for two, so one would hope the service was pretty decent (and the customers well off) in the first place. It might be more of an issue in a cheap place that might not want to spend money on good staff.

I prefer "no tips, service included" too, though.

I must admit, I've started to tip my hairdresser / barber, but that's because she charges a very reasonable amount in the first place. In Ipswich I paid £9.50 for a haircut, which was about the cheapest in town I think. High Wycombe in general is a lot more expensive than Ipswich so I can't believe her overheads are less, but she only charges £8.50. Since she's nice and friendly and does a decent job too I usually just give her £10 and say "don't bother with the change". But that's more because I think the going rate for a haircut in High Wycombe should probably be at least £10 in the first place, than it is a tip... I'm sure she knows her own business though.
Old 13 June 2013, 06:19 PM

Yea in general I'm opposed to the pseudo-mandatory style of tipping we have in the US. I don't mind the general idea of rewarding good service but that is not what we have by and large, we have tipping built in to basically every encounter with tip-worthy jobs for reasons that are mostly bunk but bunk that people believe (such as, for example, that wait-staff make some absurdly small amount of money unless they get tipped).

The best argument for tipping I've ever heard was a cultural one, that tipping is a cultural behavior in the US and that it's often appropriate to go with it much in the same way that it would be inappropriate to hug a stranger as a greeting even if you personally believed it was the better way to go.

You don't have to of course, and you may even have a good reason not to, but you can expect to be seen as rude if you deliberately defy cultural norms.

It doesn't mean I think that we should continue this silly practice of near mandatory tipping (socially I mean, not legally), but it's a pretty solid argument from where I sit, certainly way better than basically every other pro-tipping argument I've ever seen.
Old 13 June 2013, 06:46 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Hara Kiri. I think Harry Caray is a guy whose job is carrying things and he does it with flair.
Old 13 June 2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
Hara Kiri. I think Harry Caray is a guy whose job is carrying things and he does it with flair.
He carried birds and bears and sox for a long, long time - with style.
Old 13 June 2013, 06:54 PM

Hello Kitty

And also apparently has a steakhouse.
Old 13 June 2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I know, but that's not as funny.
Old 13 June 2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
And also apparently has a steakhouse.
Well, had a steakhouse. He's been dead for 15 years.
Old 13 June 2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Hara Kiri.
Actually, no, there isn't any such word at all. (I didn't get GenYus's joke anyway so as long as he was going with the "ancient stereotyped Japan" I wasn't going to comment.)
Old 13 June 2013, 09:11 PM

I would be perfectly fine with more restaurants setting this policy. The end cost to the consumer is the same, on average, and it's a simpler, more orderly system.

I have a problem with people who don't tip where it is customary, because that's not going to change anything, it's just going to stiff someone who probably doesn't make a lot of money and has no power to change the system. But that's not the same as saying that tipping is the best system or that restaurants shouldn't change it.