snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 19 May 2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
(Maybe this belongs in stupid questions, but why aren't there places that rent out bridesmaids' dresses? Or are there?)
renttherunway.com is just one such place.
Old 19 May 2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieyrissa View Post
This is true, do all or most men rent tuxes though? It is possible but I assumed they owned one already as they are wearable repeatedly, though I've never thought much about how men obtain their clothes, so you probably have a much better idea of the situation than me.
I don't know how representative I and my male friends and family are, but I'm positive not a one of us owns any outfit suitable for white tie or black tie*, nor even a single dinner jacket (which I think is the bare minimum to be called a tuxedo). I'm nearly certain none of us own so much as a three piece suit.

I've yet to be at an event requiring more formality than a (two piece) business suit. I've rented tuxes for weddings, but of course that was not to meet some minimum dress code; rather, the groom/groomsmen all wore a particular style of tuxedo to distinguish themselves from the rest of the attendees. (So even if I owned a tuxedo it would still be the wrong one and I'd have to rent a tux anyway.) In any case, I can't imagine attending enough black tie events that it would actually become practical to purchase and maintain a tuxedo instead of renting one as needed.

* Excepting my friends/family currently in the military, who keep uniforms appropriate for every level of formal dress.
Old 19 May 2013, 10:03 PM

Tux styles change slower than other fashion, but they change. A man can't expect to buy one and wear it for too many years. I only know one guy who owns one and he wears it more often than is necessary. The last time I went to anything black tie was several years ago and that was a bit of an residual anachronism of southern culture. I don't expect to be attending anything black tie again anytime soon either.
Old 19 May 2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Tux styles change slower than other fashion, but they change. A man can't expect to buy one and wear it for too many years. I only know one guy who owns one and he wears it more often than is necessary. The last time I went to anything black tie was several years ago and that was a bit of an residual anachronism of southern culture. I don't expect to be attending anything black tie again anytime soon either.
I understand the part about not expecting to attend a black tie event soon, but I'd quibble with your assessment of tux styles changing. There are certain fads/trends (banded collars, rounded "shawl" lapels, etc.) that arise every now and then, but even so, the basic, notched-collar black tie and cummerbund style with a wing collared, pleated shirt, has been an acceptable standard for several decades at least. Certainly the one I bought for college in the early nineties is still a perfectly common style twenty years later. (We performing classical musician types generally find it more economical to purchase than rent, but I can see where that wouldn't be the case for everyone.)

ETA: Alchemy's point about wedding party tuxes often not being the "standard" tux is a good one.
Old 20 May 2013, 12:53 AM

That is good to know. When you buy a tux is it adjustable like the kind one rents? I can't speak for others, but in the 20+ years since I graduated my weight has ranged fairly widely.
Old 20 May 2013, 08:38 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
You are allowed to do that? I thought it was a law that bridesmaids' dresses had to be hideous taffeta monstrocities.
I know this is late but a few years ago I was at a botanical garden with a friend and as we were walking we ran across a wedding and the bridesmaids had the most gorgeous long coral dresses you have ever seen. I wanted to go up to them and ask *where* they had bought them.
Old 20 May 2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
That is good to know. When you buy a tux is it adjustable like the kind one rents? I can't speak for others, but in the 20+ years since I graduated my weight has ranged fairly widely.
Not typically, but rental houses will often sell off their old stock, including the adjustable pants. You can also order direct from a supplier like this that carries the adjustable pants.
Old 21 May 2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
(We performing classical musician types generally find it more economical to purchase than rent, but I can see where that wouldn't be the case for everyone.)
A friend of mine said that being friends with male classical musicians, meant she always could find a +1 with a tux.