Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
In a phone booth I presume.
*Excellent, I approve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
I don't know. Not as superheroes.
Is then wedding superhero themed or just the reception?
Old 13 May 2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
You are allowed to do that? I thought it was a law that bridesmaids' dresses had to be hideous taffeta monstrocities.
Hopefully only on TV or in movies . Any other fans of the Mary Tyler Moore Show remember the little Bo Peep bridesmaids dresses that Tink wanted Mary and Rhoda to wear?

More and more nowadays what I see are short dresses, cocktail style I think they call it, and in a variety of nice colours.
Old 13 May 2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
*Excellent, I approve.
Yeah, I thought it was pretty good too.

Quote:
Is then wedding superhero themed or just the reception?
I'm kind of confused about it - there will be people at the wedding dressed as superheroes directing people onto the superhero express, for example. Maybe I should see if they're still answering their RSVP email address and ask.
Old 13 May 2013, 09:51 PM

I think that's a good plan. In general, if the reception is themed, but not the wedding, you just dress for the wedding. Otherwise, guests are often encouraged to dress in theme if they want. I personally feel that most themes make non-themed dress casual. It doesn't make sense to have guests where super hero costumes or formal dress.
Old 13 May 2013, 11:17 PM

My friends did a fantasy/ren faire themed wedding. They were nice enough to state clearly in their FAQ that it was something fun and meaningful for them (they met playing D&D and got engaged at a faire), but that guests were welcome to participate in the theme part as much or as little as they wanted. For the most part, it was just the wedding party in costume and a couple elements of the ceremony and reception that fit the theme.
Old 14 May 2013, 12:35 AM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Right now I am trying to figure out the dress code to my cousin's wedding. He and his partner have decided on a Marvel Comics theme, with the bus taking us to the reception site dubbed the "superhero express" and such. It's an evening wedding though. I'm trying to figure out if it's dressy or not.
That's easy. This dress, these earrings, and this necklace.
Old 14 May 2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
Batman's not Marvel.
Old 14 May 2013, 12:50 AM

Aimee, that is the first dress in over 15 years that made me go "Hmmm." But sadly the wedding is this Sunday.

Seriously - the last time I wore a dress was to prom. My best friend had to accept that if I was going to be a bridesmaid it was going to be in a tux. I wore kitten pumps, no bowtie, and pearls.
Old 14 May 2013, 01:01 AM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Batman's not Marvel.
MARVEL VS DC WEDDING SHOWDOWN THIS SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!!!

But seriously, I just skipped over the Marvel part and saw the superhero part instead.
Old 14 May 2013, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Maybe dresses, but renting a tux costs nowhere near $539...
This is true, do all or most men rent tuxes though? It is possible but I assumed they owned one already as they are wearable repeatedly, though I've never thought much about how men obtain their clothes, so you probably have a much better idea of the situation than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I don't know how common it is but I know when I was involved with a wedding back in Montreal the bride rented her wedding dress and the bridesmaids could have rented their gowns as well - we opted not to because it really wasn't that hard to find decently priced dresses that worked for a wedding but could also be worn again.
I never heard of anyone renting a wedding gown, as most people want to save theirs for some reason. I also haven't heard of people renting bridesmaid or maid of honor gowns either, but that seems like a plausible option if it is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kia View Post
"My friends' weddings are putting me deep in debt."

Then don't attend said weddings? Or get new friends that have financial situations and expectations more in line with your own.
This.

I don't know what age you count as younger couples, but most of my friends are marrying in their 30's, I'd say at least half of them have been destination weddings, and those that weren't were usually held at least a few hours from the area we live in, so hotels were still involved. I have been to a few small weddings, but it seems like most weddings tend to be pretty lavish, oddly some of the biggest weddings were for people who really would have been happy with an elopement, but they didn't want to disappoint their families.
Quote:
Well then, my reunion outfit is sorted at least...
Old 14 May 2013, 03:52 AM

I was in a wedding that had rented dresses. They were pretty ingenious actually. You could choose pieces. It was in the 80's when the huge hoops were in vogue. We had a big hooped skirt, then the bride chose from different bodices, and sleeve styles, and there was a cummerbund like thing that went around the middle to finish it off. Really they were nice for bridesmaids dresses particularly since I didn't have to buy it or keep it. The only downside is she chose what I describe as Barbie Pink...ugh! I hate pink, though some shades I don't mind, but that shade blech. On the plus side, DH and I were in the band playing for the reception so I got to, nay had to, change. There was no way that huge pink hoop would have fit on that tiny stage with five other people and a full drum kit.
Old 14 May 2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieyrissa View Post
I never heard of anyone renting a wedding gown, as most people want to save theirs for some reason. I also haven't heard of people renting bridesmaid or maid of honor gowns either, but that seems like a plausible option if it is available.
My sister wore a rented gown when she married in '82. I thought she was OK with this, but she did say she got a little teary when she went to a fitting for it and had to reschedule because it was being worn by another bride that day. Also, my sister's wedding was the first wedding I had ever been to that was catered and served alcohol. Every family wedding I attended before was dry, and the receptions were usually potlucks held in the church basement. (We were simple folk. )

Last edited by Horse Chestnut; 14 May 2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 14 May 2013, 10:57 AM

We had a pretty casual wedding that people kept trying to fancy up for us.

My dress was less than $200 on sale at Bloomingdale's; I told my maid of honor/bridesmaids to wear whatever the hell they wanted as long as it wasn't white or silver (my dress was silver and a bridesmaid wearing white while the bride isn't would offend a lot of the fam). Two of my friends recycled old cocktail dresses, one bought a new one special but I doubt it cost much).

My husband's wedding outfit cost less than his nicest business suit; he didn't wear a tie or jacket, just a nice shirt and nice wool pants.

Our goal was everyone be COMFY (including me and hub) while acknowledging it was a special occasion.

Several guests turned up in full formal suits/ties or nice dresses but whatever, it meant more to them than it did to us.

I actually issued an office memo to my coworkers who were invited about how it would be rude to outdress the groom or bride because of a sense of tradition. There was a lot of bickering about how "YOU GOTTA WEAR A TIE MAN IT'S A WEDDING" which I ended up part of cos I was good friends with much of my small office and a lot of them were invited.

I've only been a member of one super fancy wedding party and the bride picked out $600 dresses for us bridesmaids but did pay for them. She also paid to have our hair and makeup done to her standards. But she had an extremely rich father and was a bit of a control freak.

As a bride I'd never imagine picking out someone's clothes and then making them pay for it, even though I understand that's "what's done" it seems off to me. On the other hand, as an attendant if a bride expected me to pay through the nose for something ridiculous I'd decline being part of the wedding party (balancing friendship strength, reasoning, etc). But that's just the (likely non-traditional) circle of friends I run with.

ETA: I also put a lot of legitimate but very inexpensive items on our registry (not even on purpose, really, we needed that stuff!) so it ended up that friends/family who weren't so well off could send a gift (not that we expected it but two different invitees privately thanked me for having stuff on the reg they could afford cos they did want to give a gift; my reply was "well, actually, THANK YOU for the gift" -- funnily enough we get the most out of the 3 cheapest items on the reg, stacking cannisters I use for dog food, dog treats and dog meds each sent by 3 diff fam/friends). We didn't have a "destination wedding" but I have a far flung family and I certainly didn't expect most of my family members to fly out for the nuptials; a card was just as welcome.

Last edited by Plurabelle; 14 May 2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 14 May 2013, 11:50 AM

Reading

Quote:
Aimee, that is the first dress in over 15 years that made me go "Hmmm." But sadly the wedding is this Sunday.
Would you be able to wear a black cocktail dress or nice pair of black pants with a dressy top and then go with a necklace like Aimee suggested? That's still themed, but not as much?
Old 14 May 2013, 11:59 AM

Culturally, I come from a place where people are not expected to travel for weddings. If you can't go, you send a gift. Now, I seem to have found myself in a place where people do expect you to travel for weddings. I still don't fully get it, and I still don't go to weddings if I have to get on a plane to get there. When I say culturally, I think I mean social class. I also never went to a wedding that had anything at the reception other than cake, punch, and little dishes of peanuts and mints before crossing over into the Land of Weddings That Last All Day.
Old 14 May 2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Seriously - the last time I wore a dress was to prom. My best friend had to accept that if I was going to be a bridesmaid it was going to be in a tux. I wore kitten pumps, no bowtie, and pearls.
Dress normally and claim you're Gwen Stacy, Betty brant or Mary-Jane watson?

You might need to wear a red wig if you want to pass for Mary-Jane, though.

ETA: Wear a cape, with anything. Capes always scream "superhero"....
or "vampire"
or "Musketeer"

Ok, so maybe skip the cape...
Old 14 May 2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post

ETA: I also put a lot of legitimate but very inexpensive items on our registry (not even on purpose, really, we needed that stuff!) so it ended up that friends/family who weren't so well off could send a gift (not that we expected it but two different invitees privately thanked me for having stuff on the reg they could afford cos they did want to give a gift; my reply was "well, actually, THANK YOU for the gift" -- funnily enough we get the most out of the 3 cheapest items on the reg, stacking cannisters I use for dog food, dog treats and dog meds each sent by 3 diff fam/friends). We didn't have a "destination wedding" but I have a far flung family and I certainly didn't expect most of my family members to fly out for the nuptials; a card was just as welcome.
My friend N sent me M & D's registry at Target: I don't think there was an item on the list under $300. 50-something " plasma tv, high end appliances, arcade quality video games. Now maybe she had some friends or family that were fabulously wealthy, but we knew M from a dive bar where we all drank $2 pints. I think a lot of people elected not to go at all because the registries made us think you'd practically be frisked at the door and your dinner seat made according to amount spent. There were some hurt feelings, but that's the way the cookie crumbles when you make a wedding an excuse to redecorate your house. (2nd wedding for him; she'd been living on her own for about 10 years. these were not people starting off with nothing).

I came from the same culture (I'm pretty sure) as Avril. Wedding receptions were dry with the ubiquitous sherbet and gingerale punch, cookies, those pastel mints like little pillows, mixed nuts, bride's cake, groom's cake, and coffee. I was probably in college before I went to my first wedding with a dinner. I don't have a lot of tolerance for those who moan about the high cost of a wedding.
Old 14 May 2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
MARVEL VS DC WEDDING SHOWDOWN THIS SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!!!

But seriously, I just skipped over the Marvel part and saw the superhero part instead.
I guessed, but just couldn't resist.