snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 12 February 2013, 09:12 PM

Icon19 Washington Post fooled by fake story of Sarah Palin joining Al-Jazeera

The Washington Post has erroneously reported that Sarah Palin, the former vice presidential candidate and former Fox News contributor, is joining the Qatari-owned news network Al Jazeera.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...ng-156744.html
Old 13 February 2013, 02:11 PM

Bang Head

Just showing that there's no satire so obvious.... Jeez, this isn't even a Poe's law kind of thing. This should have been blatantly, screamingly obvious to any journalist with half an ounce of brains.
Old 13 February 2013, 04:01 PM

The Daily Currant is less well known then The Onion and seems to fly under everyone's satire radar more often. The first time I came across one of their articles, a few months back, it confused me for a bit (to weird to be true, has to be The Onion, nope not The Onion , read the about section on the site, ah ok got it )
Old 13 February 2013, 04:12 PM

I would hope someone writing for the Washington Post would do a little bit more research into a story than, "It was on the web." It isn't like The Daily Currant is trying to hide what they are. They proudly proclaim to be the daily satirical newpaper of record (or something like that).
Old 13 February 2013, 04:37 PM

Wishful thinking can be a powerful thing.
Old 13 February 2013, 09:04 PM

I would seriously love to see Tina Fey do Palin's first broadcast on Al Jazeera.
Old 14 February 2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
This should have been blatantly, screamingly obvious to any journalist with half an ounce of brains.
This one doesn't seem as obvious as some, to me. The first real clue in the original story is a "quote" from Sarah Palin in which she refers to the station as "Al-JaJizzraa (sic)" (the sic is theirs).

http://dailycurrant.com/2013/02/04/s...-jazeera-host/

In fact all of her "quotes" give it away. But the story itself doesn't seem blatantly unlikely - I wouldn't have been immediately looking for clues that it was satire.

Maybe it only seems screamingly obvious if you don't think of Al Jazeera as a respectable news organisation...?
Old 14 February 2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Maybe it only seems screamingly obvious if you don't think of Al Jazeera as a respectable news organisation...?
More likely it's the other way around. Palin built her career pandering to the kind of people who call the Qur'an "the terrorist training handbook," oppose the construction of any Mosque anywhere in the US & consider Al Jazeera to be nothing but a terrorist propaganda network. It would be burning a lot of bridges for her to take a job there. I think that's why the story appealed to so many people because Palin is such a media whore they liked the idea of her taking a job at a place her base so strenuously opposes and not being able to notice that.
Old 14 February 2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
I think that's why the story appealed to so many people because Palin is such a media whore they liked the idea of her taking a job at a place her base so strenuously opposes and not being able to notice that.
Hence my crack about wishful thinking.
Old 14 February 2013, 03:59 PM

Exactly. No matter how much I despise Palin and her faux-folksy proud-to-be-ignorant public persona, even I wouldn't think she's so blatantly stupid as to assume that Al-Jazeera's religious base is in alignment with her own. Fox News has made so much hay of slamming Al-Jazeera (and anything even vaguely Musim or Arabic) that there's no way on God's green earth that Palin could ever see such a move as anything but total career suicide.
Old 14 February 2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
... Palin could ever see such a move as anything but total career suicide.
Does she have much of a career right now? Possibly it's because I'm in Canada but I never seem to hear about her anymore. Has she had her 15 minutes or have I just been lucky?
Old 14 February 2013, 06:37 PM

She (thankfully) seems to have faded into the background noise for the most part, but as I understand it she's still a commentator on Fox News, and I still occasionally meet people who would like to see her run for public office, sincerely believing that she's the kind of leader the country needs.
Old 14 February 2013, 06:38 PM

Fox recently either dropped her or declined to renew her contract, IIRC.
Old 14 February 2013, 06:42 PM

Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
But the story itself doesn't seem blatantly unlikely - I wouldn't have been immediately looking for clues that it was satire.
Maybe, but still ... if you're a journalist repeating second-hand information as fact, and that information is being reported only by a single source which you're unfamiliar with, you ought to undertake at least a minimal checking of that source's reliability. Simply visiting the opening page of the Daily Currant and looking at a few of the headlines (e.g., "Catholic Church Considering Jerry Sandusky as Next Pope," "Vladimir Putin Kills Grizzly Bear With Bare Hands") should alert all but the most clueless that the site is a satirical one.
Old 15 February 2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Exactly. No matter how much I despise Palin and her faux-folksy proud-to-be-ignorant public persona, even I wouldn't think she's so blatantly stupid as to assume that Al-Jazeera's religious base is in alignment with her own.
Al-Jazeera English (at least) doesn't have a noticeable religious/political bias. My Dad (who would be in Palin's base were he American) watches it regularly and I know quite a few Politics undergrads who consider it one of the better news services out there.
Old 15 February 2013, 01:23 PM

I don't think the issue is about the reality of it but the perception, particularly among Palin supporters. It's got a funny "Terrorist sounding" name, that would be enough.
Old 15 February 2013, 02:40 PM

I agree that if Palin were to take a job with Al Jazeera it would cost her a lot of support from Tea Party types, for exactly those reason. I was just objecting to the idea that people who watch Al Jazeera would only do so out a similar political/religious loyalty to that of Fox viewers.
Old 16 February 2013, 02:45 AM

Apologies; I didn't mean to imply that at all. Al-Jazeera has partnered with NPR several times for coverage of events in the Persian Gulf, and is certainly a respected news organization on the international stage. As Mickey Blue points out, though, the way it is viewed by Palin's current base probably doesn't match reality. (Not to mention the way it is described in the satirical article, in terms of its own devoutly religious viewership - that is one of the red flags that should have tipped off the Post writer that we weren't dealing in truth here.)
Old 16 February 2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Maybe, but still ... if you're a journalist repeating second-hand information as fact, and that information is being reported only by a single source which you're unfamiliar with, you ought to undertake at least a minimal checking of that source's reliability.
Well, quite - reading the headline and then repeating it hardly counts as "journalism" by any standard.