snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 15 January 2013, 11:03 PM

I think he is the cutest dog that ever was a dog. I may be a little biased, though. Have I mentioned that he is also really sweet? And smart? And above average in every way?
Old 16 January 2013, 02:13 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseGirl View Post
I thought the pound did really well with The Boutros: Cattle dog/St Bernard, although his genetic tests came back that the non-Cattle dog part was actually Boxer and Swiss Mountain Dog. He really does look like someone took an overgrown cattledog and put a St Bernard head on him. But the Boxer totally explains his build.
That is absolutely true - but what does that say about his coat, because I don't think I've ever seen a Boxer that is "red heeler" colour? The cattle dog theory is obviously from his colouring, so where does he get the "herding" instinct - do Swiss Mountain Dogs herd?
Old 16 January 2013, 02:31 AM

For some reason I always thought Boutros was a collie mix, as in Boutros Boutros Collie.
Old 16 January 2013, 02:37 AM

I always took it as a general pun on Boutros Boutros Doggie - I thought it was very clever. I also had a mental image that probably didn't correspond with reality which is still maintained after seeing a picture.
Old 16 January 2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
Easily tacked onto a press release. FWIW, they could have simply discovered that someone in the family was allergic to the dog, and that this dog - and all other dogs - had to go. There was a way of handling this while still supporting pet adoption, and they missed it.
So they should have been upfront about it and made an announcement, but they also should have lied about it, and gotten rid of their other dog?
Old 16 January 2013, 01:33 PM

Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
(unless they are Miss Kitty Fantastico in Buffy, who totally disappears without comment)
Quote:
After Season Five, Miss Kitty Fantastico is not mentioned again until the penultimate episode of Season Seven, "End of Days," when Dawn says “Xander, my crossbow is not out here. I told you, I don’t leave crossbows around all willy-nilly… Not since that time with Miss Kitty Fantastico.”
(source: http://buffy.wikia.com/wiki/Miss_Kitty_Fantastico)

Just more reason's to hate Dawn...

Boutros is actually exactly how I pictured him.
Old 16 January 2013, 01:57 PM

He is actually Boutros Boutros Doggie. It would have been funnier if he had actually been a collie.
Old 16 January 2013, 02:15 PM

Now I want to get a collie and name it that.
Old 16 January 2013, 02:22 PM

I have friends who kept trying to rescue a dog only to return it later due to "allergies". The first was a greyhound or whippet mix, the second was a full greyhound. Both had vanished back to the shelter without me seeing them a second time.

Now they have a yellow lab they got as a puppy, and somehow no one is allergic to her, even though her fur is much longer and she is bigger than the previous two. Then it came out randomly that one of the previous dogs had destroyed one of their couches, so I figured out what was really going on. One mistake (the other one wasn't completely housetrained) and back they went. The husband was really anal about liquid getting on their hardwood floors and kept the dog's water bowl outside.
Old 16 January 2013, 02:25 PM

Some people just shouldn't have pets.

Sometimes, as in the OP case, rehoming is necessary. But people who take the commitment of adopting a pet as lightly as Thera describes just shouldn't do it, IMO.
Old 16 January 2013, 02:28 PM

Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Now I want to get a collie and name it that.
Lainie, I know you know better, but I just want to stress for those that might think getting a dog for the cute naming possibilities that this is a very bad idea. A person or family should choose a dog with the proper behavioral and training characteristics for their personalities, available time, housing circumstances, etc.
Old 16 January 2013, 02:30 PM

Nevermind. I thought I'd made a post, in response to Thera's, about how people shouldn't take the commitment of pet adoption lightly. Maybe the internet ate it.

ETA: Nope, there it is. Mack and I must have cross-posted.
Old 16 January 2013, 02:31 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
So they should have been upfront about it and made an announcement, but they also should have lied about it, and gotten rid of their other dog?
Sorry - I missed the "if" in my statement. What I meant to say is that *if* someone was allergic to the dog (and there was no other dog), they'd be obliged to remove the dog and not really make any apologies (because the health and comfort of the people would come first), but even in that case it should not have gone unsaid that the dog was no longer there, and why. It's a delicate thing because one would not want the public at large to believe that they can rescue a dog and return it like an unwanted gift, without any consequence, at even the first and only sign of a problem. The uniqueness of this situation, or the contrition for their being a mistake made, or the continuing support for animal rescues, just wasn't there.
Old 16 January 2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Maybe the internet ate it.
That's it, the internet is going back to the shelter.
Old 16 January 2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Lainie, I know you know better, but I just want to stress for those that might think getting a dog for the cute naming possibilities that this is a very bad idea. A person or family should choose a dog with the proper behavioral and training characteristics for their personalities, available time, housing circumstances, etc.
The more you know, kids! *Da da da dah!*
Old 16 January 2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Nevermind. I thought I'd made a post, in response to Thera's, about how people shouldn't take the commitment of pet adoption lightly. Maybe the internet ate it.

ETA: Nope, there it is. Mack and I must have cross-posted.
Yeah, I actually had to do some work before I could post my response.
Old 16 January 2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
so where does he get the "herding" instinct - do Swiss Mountain Dogs herd?
Swiss Mountain Dogs, like Bernese, are general farm dogs, and were bred to be able to help those farmers with livestock, both cattle and sheep.

Here are some pics (from a very, very good Swissy breeder, btw):

http://www.prismgsmd.com/herding
Old 16 January 2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thera View Post
Now they have a yellow lab they got as a puppy, and somehow no one is allergic to her, even though her fur is much longer and she is bigger than the previous two.
I am very allergic to German Shepherds, but don't have a problem with my two.

HM- I think you forgot about the bit where the Boutros is half Australian Cattle Dog. You know, the kind that herd cattle?
Old 16 January 2013, 03:32 PM

But actually, I'm pretty sure based on what TurquoiseGirl said, that the Boutros gets his herding instinct from his Cattle Dog side. It was the non-Cattle Dog heritage that was identified as Swissie and Boxer.

Spanked by the source!
Old 16 January 2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Yeah, I actually had to do some work before I could post my response.
Well, if anybody reading the thread went out and adopted a dog, just to give it a cute name, during that interval, I hope you won't beat yourself up about it.