snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 15 January 2013, 06:08 AM

Default Florida’s Governor Adopted a Dog for the Campaign, Promptly Returned It

http://gawker.com/5975949/floridas-g...whence-it-came

Quote:
The Labrador, pictured above, was adopted shortly after Scott won the Republican primary in 2010. A picture of it was posted to Facebook, asking Scott's fans what the family should name its new pet. The winning name was, shock of all shocks, Reagan (keep in mind this was in the middle of the Tea Party's Reagan-nostalgia, rabble-rousing).

Recently, Florida reporters began to wonder why they hadn't seen First Family of Florida's Beloved Pet recently and started digging.
Old 15 January 2013, 07:01 AM

I find this article to be at least potentially disingenuous..

From the headline to the final sentence they paint the picture that he got it just for photo ops and didn't have any intention of keeping it beyond that. Now, maybe that is true, but his story that the dog was anti-social enough to be a problem at home (including one employee feeling threatened enough to quit).

Now, did they reach out to the employee? Check with the shelter and see if the dog had any kind of anti-social history? Dig further? No, at least if they did it's not noted in the article.. They commented that while that explanation is reasonable it's still the Governor's fault for not doing more digging about the dog's personality prior to adopting it... Then they go right back to implying he got it cause it was politically expedient and returned it when it no longer was, despite there not being any real evidence of that and in fact evidence (that they themselves say is reasonable) that he returned it for another reason.

I suspect he did wait to return it until after the campaign because adopting then returning a dog would not look good, regardless of the reasons (short of something extreme). Beyond that, obviously I don't know, but as an owner of a very anti-social dog I cannot fault somebody for not wanting to take on that kind of risk and responsibility and I think that this article is, frankly, presenting a theory at best with no evidence to support it just cause it makes for better headlines and smearing a politician they likely disagree with.
Old 15 January 2013, 04:16 PM

I would say that, especially for a public figure, having a dog with socialization issues is even MORE of an issue than it would be for a private citizen. I agree, MB. If the dog truly has these issues, he likely did the right thing by returning it.
Old 15 January 2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
I would say that, especially for a public figure, having a dog with socialization issues is even MORE of an issue than it would be for a private citizen. I agree, MB. If the dog truly has these issues, he likely did the right thing by returning it.
Right. Think of how many people might visit the governor's house, and how much stress so many strangers would cause for an antisocial dog. (And imagine the public criticism Scott would receive if the dog bit someone!)
Old 15 January 2013, 05:54 PM

OK, so the dog was not the right one for him and where he lives and who he has to deal with. That's fine, but it raises two other questions - first is why didn't this get mentioned until it was noticed by the media. The second is why didn't they get another, better-socialized dog?
Old 15 January 2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
= That's fine, but it raises two other questions - first is why didn't this get mentioned until it was noticed by the media.
Probably in an attempt to brush it under the rug and not make it a big deal. Which is a bit silly and a bad call. people notice missing animals (unless they are Miss Kitty Fantastico in Buffy, who totally disappears without comment)

Quote:
The second is why didn't they get another, better-socialized dog?
Perhaps they decided, in part due to this whole thing, that they are in no situation to handle another dog?

Two dogs plus a busy public life can lead to being overwhelmed. Or, perhaps, they haven't found the right dog yet? Some people take years to find the right dog for their situation.
Old 15 January 2013, 05:59 PM

How is it anyone's business but theirs why they didn't get another dog?
Old 15 January 2013, 06:12 PM

This would be more believable as a political ploy if the family didn't have another dog. Is there some demographic that would be more likely to vote for someone if they had two dogs rather than one?
Old 15 January 2013, 06:59 PM

Sometimes all the digging in the world doesn't help. When I was looking for a dog, I found what appeared to be a good candidate a few hours away. Right gender, size, breed, age. Looked good. I then contacted the shelter with a list of very specific questions about him, his experiences, his personality, and his issues.

What I was told:
Aussie mix
Not housetrained.
Friendly with other animals.
Aloof with strangers, but warms up very quickly and snuggles
Well behaved
Went to adoption events almost weekly
No major issues
6 months old (had since 8 weeks)

What I got:
Coyote/Border Collie cross. yes, they knew about it before adoption.
Not housetrained
Friendly with other animals
Terrifed of all people, will pee on himself and run under the nearest bed table when he so much as hears their voices. I had him 3 weeks before I could touch him.
Hasn't left his 10x10 run in four months
Huge issues that we're still working on 2 years later
9 months old. Or 8 months. Or 7 months. they gave me multiple ages on different pieces of paperwork.

Living with an antisocial dog is hard. I live in a quiet home where I am the only person around. I can't board him. He doesn;t let strangers in the house, so I can't leave for the day and have someone pop in to walk him. I can't board him. I have to plan his walks and vet appointments around the times when we are less likely to encounter other people. Everything I do, I have to keep Gambit and his safety in mind.

I love Gambit, and I am committed to him. But I can't say that rehoming or euthanasia hasn't looked like an attractive choice.

Since losing my beloved whippet mix, I am currently looking for another dog. But, after what happened with Gambit, you can bet that I would be happy to wait months or even years rather then making another mistake.
Old 15 January 2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
That's fine, but it raises two other questions - first is why didn't this get mentioned until it was noticed by the media.
Eh? Who else would have mentioned it?
Old 15 January 2013, 07:04 PM

Maybe Mike thinks the Governor should have held a press conference to announce they were rehoming the dog.
Old 15 January 2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
Sometimes all the digging in the world doesn't help. When I was looking for a dog, I found what appeared to be a good candidate a few hours away. Right gender, size, breed, age. Looked good. I then contacted the shelter with a list of very specific questions about him, his experiences, his personality, and his issues.
I was told Holly was a Lab Shepherd mix. Turns out she is actually a Rhodesian Ridgeback/something smaller mix. This made a huge difference in the way I have had to train her. It would have been helpful to know a couple of times. There have been many times I would have loved to take her back. But I love her. And she has gotten better over a year. I want to go back to dog training classes now that I know how to communicate better. She doesn't sound quite as extreme as Gambit; at least I have one person who will come take care of her while I am away and she lets people in the house and interacts with them.
Old 15 January 2013, 07:44 PM

I hate to say it, but shelters are notoriously bad at IDing breeds. Honestly, some of what they list makes me think they just pull it out of a hat.

In addition, they rarely have the resource or expertise to properly evaluate temperament and behavior, much less properly screen adopters to fit each dog (or screen them at all).

Of course, shelters DO vary. Some are much better than others.

If you can afford the larger price tag, good rescues are a far better bet
Old 15 January 2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I hate to say it, but shelters are notoriously bad at IDing breeds. Honestly, some of what they list makes me think they just pull it out of a hat.
My Gateway was originally listed as "Brittany Spaniel/American Bulldog."

WTF? I know that black-and-white Brittanys exist, but I'd always pegged him as an English Setter mix due to his general size and body shape. Still at least you're in the same spaniel/setter "type" ballpark with a Brittany. But American Bulldog, really?
Old 15 January 2013, 10:11 PM

I thought the pound did really well with The Boutros: Cattle dog/St Bernard, although his genetic tests came back that the non-Cattle dog part was actually Boxer and Swiss Mountain Dog. He really does look like someone took an overgrown cattledog and put a St Bernard head on him. But the Boxer totally explains his build.

I would never adopt a dog without meeting/spending some time with hir. My main issue with Holly is that I didn't realize what I was getting into with a puppy and I learned subsequently that Ridgebacks do not respond well when you get stern with them. The Boutros would try to correct his behavior; Holly falls apart.
Old 15 January 2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Or, perhaps, they haven't found the right dog yet? Some people take years to find the right dog for their situation.
I took well over a year, maybe even close to a year and a half, to find the Perfect Dog For Us. I met and played with probably 20-30 different dogs in that time. It was all with the same rescue, and I wonder sometimes what they thought about this crazy lady who couldn't seem to make up her mind about a dog!

Really, if the dog was that antisocial, particularly for the family f a public figure, it would be a good decision to bring the dog back.
Old 15 January 2013, 10:42 PM

TGirl, your description of The Boutros makes me realize I have imagined him wrong all these years. For some reason I've imagined him as looking like a Spuds McKenzie dog but with dark fur (grayish black).
Old 15 January 2013, 10:56 PM

Morgaine, there is a recent picture of him here.

If it works.

ETA: It works. It is about 1/2 way down the page.
Old 15 January 2013, 10:58 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
How is it anyone's business but theirs why they didn't get another dog?
Because they made a big deal out of it before, and now it looks like the dog was just "for show".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Maybe Mike thinks the Governor should have held a press conference to announce they were rehoming the dog.
Easily tacked onto a press release. FWIW, they could have simply discovered that someone in the family was allergic to the dog, and that this dog - and all other dogs - had to go. There was a way of handling this while still supporting pet adoption, and they missed it.
Old 15 January 2013, 11:01 PM

Awe!!! He's so cute! Cuter than my imagination.