snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 05 January 2007, 05:40 AM

Default Going on a diet is no cinch

Just about any diet scheme will result in temporary weight loss for almost anyone who follows it rigorously. Review the scientific evidence, though, and you discover that only a small proportion of people succeed in taking off much weight and keeping it off, even with the best of care.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,3250753.story
Old 08 January 2007, 02:49 AM

Default snopes honey, are you having a Fritos seizure?

Back to the subject: at the risk of sounding old and tired and heard that before, the ONLY way to lose weight, be fitter, etc. is to eat less and exercise more. Five words and save the cost of the diet book.
Old 09 January 2007, 04:38 AM

That's not even news I've know for at least 30 years that diets don't work.
Unless and until I ever decide to change my life style, them I'm gonna be obese. Maybe when I quit having cola and cheese curls for breakfast, and use my excercycle for something other than a cloths rack, I might actually get under 200 lbs for once.
Old 09 January 2007, 09:13 AM
CatPurrson

Shout Easier said than done

Sure, eat right and exercise is quite easy to say, but something else to entirely to *DO*. (Particularly when I'm stuck in the situation I'm in now-- living with family, too broke to move out, and having to eat what they'll eat.) I'm doing what I can, but when a family member goes out and buys six tubs of (really tasty) chocolate chip cookies, it's not easy.

I hardly ever drink soda, and when I do, it's diet. I occasionally will drink artificially sweetened tea, but it's usually just plain ice water. I don't eat huge amounts (usually) of food. I remember hearing about Al Roker going to McDonalds and scarfing down a couple of Big Macs. I thought, "Wow, I eat one sandwich and part of a thing of fries, and I'm not much smaller than he is. What gives?" I know that it's mainly *WHAT* I eat, and I'm trying to improve that, but as I said without the support of my "roomates", what am I supposed to do?

I was diagnosed as diabetic a little over five years ago. My mom told me that we were all going to change the way we eat, no more junk food, yadda yadda yadda. I think about two days later she brought home two pies.

If I don't eat what they buy, I'm a bad person for wasting food.

At least now that I have some of my own money I can buy some healthier stuff. I go on binges buying fresh fruit, whatever veggies appeal to me at the time, fish, "healthier" frozen dinners.

I can't wait until I can get my own place.

Hmm, maybe I should go to Rantidote with this!

CatPurrson