snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 15 July 2010, 11:43 PM

Default 16 items they only sell at Wal-Marts in China

Comment: Fact or fiction? Very different from what we are used to seeing
in any stores here at home!

FOOD POISONING OBVIOUSLY NOT AN ISSUE...?

1. Crocodiles

2. Bulk Rice

3. Mixed Meat

4. Orange Juice And Cooking Oil

5. Turtles

6. ??

7. Wal-Mart Brand Spirits ($0.15)

8. Rib Cages

9. Assorted Dried Reptiles

Old 15 July 2010, 11:43 PM

10. Beautiful Boxes Of Liquor

11. Frogs

12. A Large Selection Of Chopsticks

13. Ducks

14. Great Value Brand Beef Granules

15. Pig Faces

16. Antibacterial Bikini Underwear For Men

Old 15 July 2010, 11:53 PM

Shifty Eyes

The majority of those items you can buy in a fully-stocked 99 Ranch Market, which are American stores.

The raw meat items would not be out for customers to handle due to health restrictions, but they would be available behind a counter. Along with items not pictured, like live octopuses, prawns, crabs, lobsters, assorted fish, and all parts of pigs, chickens, ducks, and other animals. Many of the "extra" parts are in a cooler section in styrofoam containers that state what is in them.

Hmmm...I think I need to visit the new one in Chino soon.
Old 15 July 2010, 11:56 PM

Haha I was going to say that all of those are available at Ranch 99! (Except maybe the alligators, haven't seen whole alligators at Ranch 99... But they do have live Geoduck, which are always amusing to my juvenile sense of humor!)
Old 16 July 2010, 12:26 AM

Ha-Ha! Aren't the Chinese funny? They eat weird stuff! And they don't make sure all their stuff is cut up and packaged so they can't tell what it originally was before it was killed to be food! How uncivilized!

Sigh. As recently as my childhood, and maybe even still, I just don't travel those roads anymore, my mother and grandmother could go shopping at the butcher's, or a grocery store in the neighborhood, in Manhattan, and pick the fish they wanted out of a tank where they were swimming live. And butchers bought whole animals, or sides of animals, and cut meat to order, so you saw stuff a the butchers that you could see pretty clearly had been which part of what animal. Some people bought large parts of carcasses and did further butchering on their own. I'm not really sure why, other than economy, but they did. I remember when you could see chicken and ducks with the heads and feet still attached. My grandmother sais that in Europe it cost more for a plucked bird, so some people bought them with feathers still attached, and did their own plucking.

Bulk stores not have containers that keep debris and sneeze spray away from the bulk goods, but I remember when they didn't. I also remember when salad bars in restaurants didn't have sneeze guards.

People in China eat with chopsticks. They have large selections of different kinds of chopsticks. They probably wash and reuse chopsticks, and make them out of something besides the bamboo or balsa wood you see in the US. We have ornate silver patterned, and inlaid heirloom cutlery; they probably have similar sorts of chopsticks.

Beef granules are bouillon. The orange juice and oil are probably sold together for some kind of popular seasonal recipe. Wal-Mart here is having a special on boxes of Graham Crackers, Herhsey bars, and marshmallows, if you buy them together.

PetsMart sells dried pig snouts as dog chew toys that look pretty much like the ones in the picture. We don't know what the ones in the picture are for. Maybe they're for dogs. Maybe they're like soup bones, for flavoring soup stock, then removing. Maybe they're cut into strips for some kind of jerky. People here eat puffed pork skin rinds. What do they think they are eating?

The "spirits," which could be cooking wine, or could be something like Boone's Apple wine looks cheap at 15 cents, but as a percentage of what a person in China earns a week, it's not that cheap.

People touch the meat, looking for the cuts they want. We do the same with fruit here. People are going to cook the meat, most likely. Are you going to cook that peach?

The US has some of the strictest food safety laws in the world. Probably the strictest. That's why our stuff is so heavily packaged, and we generate so much trash. I'll bet the Chinese think it's funny that we buy something that's wrapped in plastic, in a box that is taped shut, then in several separate boxes inside that, and individually wrapped on top of that. Half the things we buy are in packages we can't open without tools. I'll bet people in a lot of other countries think that's hilarious.
Old 16 July 2010, 02:52 AM

Canada

I can go to my local SUPER WALMART and get a pre-wrapped whole duck, a rack of ribs, and a decent selection of chopsticks (which is the equivalent of the Western WALMART's silverware selection, I would assume). The corn oil-orange juice could easily be a promotional set for sale, which isn't uncommon at the local WALMART; I recall buying a body wash with a free vitamin sampler attached.
Old 16 July 2010, 04:22 AM

I took it as more of a "It's odd to see familiar Wal-Mart signs on stuff our stores don't sell" rather than "OMG lookit the weirdo Chinese!" myself. I like that the crocodiles have oranges in their mouth though, hehe.

What exactly is that in #6?
Old 16 July 2010, 04:42 AM

When the kid was younger, we were in an Asian market with live frogs. She asked if we could buy one for a pet.
Old 16 July 2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
PetsMart sells dried pig snouts as dog chew toys that look pretty much like the ones in the picture. We don't know what the ones in the picture are for. Maybe they're for dogs. Maybe they're like soup bones, for flavoring soup stock, then removing. Maybe they're cut into strips for some kind of jerky.
Or like in Spain, cut in dice and fried.
Old 16 July 2010, 12:02 PM

You might not find those items at Wal-Mart in Canada, but you will certainly find them at the huge Wal-mart sized Asian grocery stores in Toronto. You'll also find customers of all ethnicities.
Old 16 July 2010, 12:13 PM

I wish our Wal-marts carried a better selection of chopsticks.
Old 16 July 2010, 01:02 PM

Spam, your post, in combination with your sig line, is strangely humorous for me and ominous for the turtles, considering the pictures in this thread.
Old 16 July 2010, 01:13 PM

Reading

It's a good thing for me I don't live there. I'd be constantly buying all the frogs and turtles to save them from becoming someone's dinner!
Old 16 July 2010, 01:56 PM
Vextas

I wish we had supermarkets like that in the UK. I look forward to the day when I can come home with bags full of crocodile meat, frogs, turtles and other assorted luxurys. The most exotic item my local store stocks is salami.
Old 16 July 2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vextas View Post
I wish we had supermarkets like that in the UK. I look forward to the day when I can come home with bags full of crocodile meat, frogs, turtles and other assorted luxurys. The most exotic item my local store stocks is salami.
I bet they offer a great selection of cheeses, though.
Old 16 July 2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I bet they offer a great selection of cheeses, though.
When my friend lived in China, he reported that the local grocery store (not a small one) just sold something called "Cheese" which did not taste like anything he wanted to eat. Milk was hard to find too.
Old 16 July 2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troodon View Post
When my friend lived in China, he reported that the local grocery store (not a small one) just sold something called "Cheese" which did not taste like anything he wanted to eat. Milk was hard to find too.
Vextas is not in China.
Old 16 July 2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Vextas is not in China.
I didn't say he was. All I said was that, as far as I know, Chinese supermarkets will not have a good selection of dairy products, in contrast to their large selection of bizarre meats.
Old 16 July 2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troodon View Post
I didn't say he was. All I said was that, as far as I know, Chinese supermarkets will not have a good selection of dairy products, in contrast to their large selection of bizarre meats.
I guess I was confused by your quoting my comment that Vextas' supermarket, in London, would have a good selection of cheeses.
Old 16 July 2010, 02:51 PM

When I was in Taiwan I went to the Shrlin Night Market. One of the stalls had turtles with tiny magnets strapped to their backs. Children were then given fishing rods with magnets instead of hooks. They caught their turtles using the magnets. The turtles were taken to the stall holder who cooked it for them. (Sorry the first photograph is out of focus, but it was rather dark and I do not think I was allowed to use flash.)