snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 01 January 2007, 01:04 AM
Steven619

No Exploding nipples

One of my friends shared this story with me... I'm not sure if anyone has heard it, but tell if you think it's possible.

"Some hikers were hiking to the top of Mt. Fuji, in Japan. A strong snow-storm rendered them helpless near the top of the mountain. One of the hikers, was starting to gain frost-bite, so the other hiker slowly removed articles of clothing to help keep his friend warm. A day had passed, and the man who had removed his clothes was having strong chest pains. He looked down to see blood coming from his shirt. He lifted he shirt, and realized that the cold had made his nipples erect. In fact, they had gotten so stiff that blood had started to leak from his nipples. After being trapped up there for a while, the man bled the death. His friend, however, was rescued shortly after the death. When he was released from the hospital, he told the media the story."

Personally, I don't know if this story really happened, nor do I care. What I'm trying to figure out is can nipples explode from the pressure of becoming too erect?
Old 01 January 2007, 03:25 AM

I'm not sure, but according to my Hungarian Book of English Phrases, "My nipples explode with delight" translates as the Hungarian phrase that means "What's the trouble, Officer?"
Old 01 January 2007, 04:20 AM

Well, nipples, unlike certain other male body parts, don't enlarge because they're filled with blood. I can see no reason why blood would "leak" from his nipples. Certainly if he'd sustained some kind of cut there it would probably seep blood, but the description sounds more like a soggy sponge of blood that finally gets so soaked it starts to leak.

I've seen several cases of hypothermia on TV shows (not scripted, more like "I was lucky to survive" type stuff). Not one mentioned anything about nipples becoming painful, let alone actually bursting.

Last point, wouldn't the nipples be likely to be under the most layer of clothing? Fingers and toes, the skin at wrists and ankles, and the face would all be far more likely to suffer the worst effects of frostbite/hypothermic reactions than nipples.
Old 01 January 2007, 04:39 AM

Nipples can become chapped/chafed/irritated from being erect and rubbing on clothes (this happens to runners). I don't know if they would bleed or not, but I suppose they could, if rubbed enough on rough clothing. I highly doubt they would bleed much--probably not enough for someone to die from blood loss even if the conditions were absolutely right (maybe if the person had some sort of healing/bleeding problem?).

And, as One-Fang mentioned, they certainly wouldn't explode.