snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 04 January 2007, 04:21 PM

I had kidney stones when I was 11, the doctor said it was extremely rare for someone of my age to have them. Mine happened both because of my diet (all I ever drank was soda) and also b/c of my body's inability to process certain minerals.

I'll tell you though, supposedly kidney stones are the closest pain to having a child, in which case, I'm taking the drugs as soon as possible! the pain was soooo unbearable.
Old 05 January 2007, 03:17 PM
Der Jägermeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I recommend the latter.

You could also offer iced tea (black, green, white, or herbal) with no sugar.
--->Actually, tea of any sort (except most herbals) is high in the oxalates, and high oxalate levels are the big problem with calcium oxalate stones, which are the most common type of kidney stone. If kidney stones are a real concern, cut off the tea intake. If sugar is the issue, your advice is quite appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Calcium can, as can oxalates. Oxalate stones are rare, but the possibility does exist- they're common in those eating huge amounts of fruit.
--->It is the combo of calcium and oxalate together that produces the most common type of stone. After my pair of stones, I'm unfortunately too familiar.

--->Oxalates are high in common brown beverages like coffee, tea, and colas. Soda fans may still have the Sprites and Mountain Dews without concern over kidney stones. Potatos are a suprising culprit, as are many dark green veggies like spinach and fruits like strawberries. The only good thing about my stones is now I have an excuse not to eat Brussels sprouts.

--->Shane

--->btw, a former coworker who experienced both kidney stones and childbirth, if forced to choose, would take the childbirth pains again. ymmv.
Old 05 January 2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jägermeister View Post
--->Oxalates are high in common brown beverages like coffee, tea, and colas. Soda fans may still have the Sprites and Mountain Dews without concern over kidney stones.
Not necessarily. For the oxalate type of stone these are fine, but for the other, dehydrated kind, soda coffee and tea are but culprits.
Old 05 January 2007, 10:22 PM
Der Jägermeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcm View Post
Not necessarily. For the oxalate type of stone these are fine, but for the other, dehydrated kind, soda coffee and tea are but culprits.
--->Too true. I tend to fixate on the oxalate stones since that's what I had, but dehydration encourages all sort of kidney stone formation.

--->Shane
Old 07 January 2007, 03:27 AM

I had my 1st kidney stone at 22. The doctors were all pretty shocked that someone so young had one. Mine was too big to pass, so I had to have it blasted with shockwaves. As for
Quote:
btw, a former coworker who experienced both kidney stones and childbirth, if forced to choose, would take the childbirth pains again. ymmv.
I've done both also. Kidney stones were worse ... but I got better drugs.

Jaci
Old 07 January 2007, 04:00 AM

30 min for a home cooked meals is not to much time. Almost nothing is prepackaged eather. 60 min for a fancy meal. I found the meals to be cheaper and much better for you as well.
Old 08 January 2007, 03:51 AM

I've found home cooked from scratch or almost scratch is much tastier too.
Old 08 January 2007, 04:14 AM

My son has been pain free for 2 days, so we are fairly sure it passed.

Unfortunately, this morning, the one on the other side decided to go south for the winter...

He only said one word in between screams: "morphine".