snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Sports

Old 16 February 2007, 05:59 PM

I thought that the NFL was through with expansion, having reached the "magic number" of 32 teams, which makes scheduling and division play very easy.
Old 17 February 2007, 04:18 AM

Woan who knows nothig about sprouts

Does this team become the Montreal Expos ?????

Or the Canadiansa>>?????

Les habs...work with me please.....runs sobbing away........
Old 21 February 2007, 03:25 PM

This is the first I've heard of this particular rumor, but speculation like this is nothing new.

First off, there's been a longstanding rumor/fear that Ralph Wilson, rather than being the mastermind behind a nefarious plot to move the Buffalo Bills, is in fact the sole force keeping them in Buffalo. The fear is that once he passes away, his kids/new ownership/the league will either actively step in and move the team, or at a minimum, could care less whether or not the Bills remain a Buffalo team. Toronto and LA are frequently among the destinations mentioned.

Secondly, Willis Macgahee, the Bills starting running back, was recently alleged to have stated that he "wishes" the team would be moved to Toronto. Supposedly, his sole reason for wanting this is that Toronto has a better nightlife in which he can partake.

In Buffalo, spreading team relocation rumors is a sport in itself.
Old 08 March 2007, 12:16 AM

I think the best way to make money on sports in Toronto is to relocate an adequate hockey team here and send Leaves away. This will produce more revenue than any other franchise.
Old 08 March 2007, 02:01 AM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebbenth View Post
I think the best way to make money on sports in Toronto is to relocate an adequate hockey team here and send Leaves away.
That the Leafs. THE LEAFS! HEATHEN! HERETIC! LEAFS BLASPHEMER!

Get 'im, boys.

Old 19 October 2007, 03:00 AM
mikechuk21

Default The main reason why

You forget the main reason why an NFL team isn't likely to move to Canada. The league's entire revenue model is built around network television and Toronto isn't a Nielsen metered market. CBS, NBC, Fox and ESPN would much prefer a team in a small U.S. market than a huge market where they don't exist-- and where there are no Nielsen ratings generated to show to advertisers. CBS, NBC and Fox don't have affiliates there and ESPN isn't even available (the CRTC's Canadian content rules ban the export of U.S. cable networks on cable or satellite without a license -- which the existence of TSN precludes). So a move to T.O. might be good for the franchise, but it would be bad for the TV contract.

Last edited by mikechuk21; 19 October 2007 at 03:01 AM. Reason: appending a fact
Old 19 October 2007, 03:09 AM

Depends. If they could get the entirety of Canada behind the Toronto team, the separate deal the NFL would sign with Canada would more than make up for the shortfall in TV deals. Also, the NFL has been looking to expand beyond the United States for years. Don't think they saw that 100,000+ crowd to see the crappy 49ers take on the crappy Cardinals a couple years ago as a one-time fluke event...
Old 19 October 2007, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechuk21 View Post
CBS, NBC and Fox don't have affiliates there and ESPN isn't even available (the CRTC's Canadian content rules ban the export of U.S. cable networks on cable or satellite without a license -- which the existence of TSN precludes). So a move to T.O. might be good for the franchise, but it would be bad for the TV contract.
While the Canadian Content rules do take effect, ESPN is available on satellite, the existence of TSN doesn't preclude competition. we also get NFL sunday ticket as a premium channel.

also if it was purely the TV contract, then what effect does the Blue Jays have on the MLB TV Contract? Since Baseball has a big TV contract as well.
Old 19 October 2007, 01:56 PM

Whoa, Canada? Bills eye home game in Toronto

Quote:
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills on Thursday's announced they are seeking approval to play a preseason and at least one regular-season game in Toronto as part of the franchise's attempt to expand its market base beyond western New York.
Gibbie
Old 19 October 2007, 02:37 PM

Icon02

Quote:
The games would be played at Rogers Center
Centre. Not Center. It's a proper name, so changing the spelling to suit your local grammar rules is highly inappropriate.

Also, no self-respecting Torontonian would ever call it Rogers Centre. It's SkyDome, and always will be.
Old 19 October 2007, 03:29 PM

Tsk, Tsk Bills moving here? Forget it

Quote:
The Buffalo Bills are coming to Toronto.

At least a few of their players are.

A local sports marketing company announced Bills' running back Marshawn Lynch and quarterback Trent Edwards would be among a group of the team's players who will travel to Toronto with new shoulder pads and footballs to donate to Sir Sanford Fleming Academy's fledgling junior football team.
Story here.
Old 19 October 2007, 03:54 PM

Default s

so, if the Bills are playing a game at Skydome, When is it? is it after the CFL season? I'm just curious since they pretty much have to re-configure the field. I know they do that for the argos and Jays but, they'd have to put in an entirely new field, new goalposts, (as iirc in NFL they're about 10 yards further apart (the playing field is 10 yards shorter but adding the fact that they're 10 yards behind the goal line as opposed to on the goal line in CFL so the goal posts are 120 yards apart, as opposed to 110 in CFL configuration)

I'm more concerned about the construction times since Skydome will have to be shut down for the construction. since they'll probabally have to drill at least one new anchor hole. which really isn't that much, but depending on how they fill the hole, (for the Jays/Argos) might take longer.

I'm just curious about the logistics of this and the cost to reconfigure Skydome
Old 19 October 2007, 04:19 PM
Griffin2020

When Griffete and I were in Buffalo a couple of weeks ago (the week before the Dallas-Buffalo game), one of the news stories was lamenting the fact that more locals do not attend the football games. They stated that over 1/2 the season ticket holders were from Ontario. Not sure if that is a true statement, or an exagerration...
Old 19 October 2007, 06:34 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechuk21 View Post
You forget the main reason why an NFL team isn't likely to move to Canada. The league's entire revenue model is built around network television and Toronto isn't a Nielsen metered market.
Does that really matter? Residents of Toronto aren't the only ones who are going to watch a Toronto-based NFL team on television.

- snopes
Old 19 October 2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
... I'm just curious since they pretty much have to re-configure the field. I know they do that for the argos and Jays but, they'd have to put in an entirely new field, new goalposts, (as iirc in NFL they're about 10 yards further apart (the playing field is 10 yards shorter but adding the fact that they're 10 yards behind the goal line as opposed to on the goal line in CFL so the goal posts are 120 yards apart, as opposed to 110 in CFL configuration)

I'm more concerned about the construction times since Skydome will have to be shut down for the construction. since they'll probabally have to drill at least one new anchor hole. which really isn't that much, but depending on how they fill the hole, (for the Jays/Argos) might take longer...
On a visit to Skydome in about '93, I asked this very question. The stadium is built with a whole bunch of options for field configuration. This would cover soccer, Canadian football and American football. I believe that rugby is an option too.

The American field size is shorter than the Canadian one, by about 30 yards in length and five in width. So the reconfiguration, if one does occur, is for one upright. And that should not take long.

I'd love to see the Bills play in Toronto, just after the Grey Cup. I don't want any inferior American game to spoil the best game in the world.
Old 20 October 2007, 05:34 PM

I would support this for the Bills, if it would relieve them of the obligation of playing a game in Europe.
Old 22 October 2007, 03:59 AM

As much as I'd love NFL in Toronto, I fear that this would effectively kill the Toronto Argonauts, if not the entire CFL.
Old 22 October 2007, 04:25 AM
Doohickie

I can see Golisano getting the Bills (or a new franchise if the Bills went elsewhere) and building a new stadium. I doubt he would build it downtown, though. The Bills have been trying to cultivate the Rochester market for several years. It would be more credible if the plans for a new stadium placed it off the Thruway just east of Buffalo, closer to Rochester. The Pembroke exit on the NYS Thruway was actually put in for exactly that purpose, before the site of the stadium was switched to Orchard Park over a land dispute, iirc. (Ralph Wilson Stadium, then called Rich Stadium, opened when I was 10.)
Old 23 October 2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
As much as I'd love NFL in Toronto, I fear that this would effectively kill the Toronto Argonauts, if not the entire CFL.
I doubt it'd kill the Argos, or the CFL, the Argos might need a new venue however, which would lose them some fans, but the CFL has quite a large following outside of Toronto, and The bluejays certainly haven't killed Baseball across Canada, and too many people in Canada have other favorite NFL teams, since there's no "home team".

also many people in Canada prefer the CFL gameplay over NFL.
Old 25 October 2007, 12:04 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post

also many people in Canada prefer the CFL gameplay over NFL.
It still throws me whenever I watch an NFL game and teams elect not to punt on the third down.

And I admit that the only reason that I like the Packers is that they wear the green and gold of the Edmonton Eskimos.