snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 02 February 2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signora Del Drago View Post
Ryda, we had a big scare with my granddaughter, a perfectly lovely young lady, who was/is in no way too "fat." She got to the point that her hair was starting to fall out. Fortunately, her doctor and her mother somehow managed to convince her to stop.

And I don't want to scare you, Signora, I hope y'all are continuing to monitor this. IMHE, you don't recover from anorexia. You just go into remission.
Old 02 February 2007, 04:43 PM

Icon105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
And I don't want to scare you, Signora, I hope y'all are continuing to monitor this. IMHE, you don't recover from anorexia. You just go into remission.
Thanks for your concern. It's kind of like alcoholism, isn't it? Not really cured, just not doing it for now. She lives in Georgia, but my daughter, my sister and other relatives, and her friends are all aware. They don't bring it up all the time or anything, but they do discreetly pay attention. It's been a little over three years, and she seems to be doing okay. It was classic. She started wearing baggy clothes and would quickly cover herself if her mother happened to come in while she was changing clothes. She'd not eat much at a meal and claim she had eaten with friends, etc. She went with my daughter to take her little brother to the doctor, and his nurse is a family friend. She took one look at my precious granddaughter and said "Pull your shirt up." When my granddaughter didn't, the nurse did. Her ribs were showing, and her breasts were almost not there. My daughter felt so guilty for not knowing, but she works a full-time job, cares for an invalid husband and a small child, etc., and it was covered up very well. I didn't see it, either, when we were there on vacation. I noticed the baggy clothes, but I figured it was just a "teenager thing." Also, she had dark circles under her eyes, but I thought she was just not getting enough sleep since she was up late every night. But it was summer vacation, and again - "teenager thing." Anyway, then her hair started falling out, and I think that was finally the wakeup call. When I first learned of the problem, I bought all kinds of books, one about Karen Carpenter, and sent them to her. You can imagine how frightened I was. She at first was miffed about that, but then she realized the seriousness of what she was doing, and I'm pretty sure she didn't know she could kill herself that way. By the time we went to visit again, she had gained back a lot of her weight and was looking good. She's now twenty and is joining the Navy. I think Navy people will notice if something is wrong.

So, parents pay attention! It's really easy to miss the signs, especially when you are overworked and exhausted, yourself, and given how easily this disease can be hidden for so long.

ETA: Ryda, you're a sweetie, like it or not.
Old 02 February 2007, 05:38 PM
FloridaGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
And on a related note, ladies, please wear clothes that actually fit you. Don't shove yourself into too-small clothes because you're too proud to buy a larger size. Clothes that are too small make you look bigger, and nobody but you sees the size tag.
Amen sister!
Old 02 February 2007, 05:57 PM

I know this isn't a "where to buy clothes" thread, but I have a big chest for my frame, and I buy clothes that fit me, in the women's depts, at Kohl's with great success. There is one about 1/2 a mile from my house so it is pretty much the only place I shop for clothes. My aunt who has an enormous chest for her frame (H/I cups) finds clothes in the women's depts, and at places like Susie's Deals, Dress Barn, and other places to get cute clothes at good prices.
Old 02 February 2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
I know this isn't a "where to buy clothes" thread, but I have a big chest for my frame, and I buy clothes that fit me, in the women's depts, at Kohl's with great success. There is one about 1/2 a mile from my house so it is pretty much the only place I shop for clothes. My aunt who has an enormous chest for her frame (H/I cups) finds clothes in the women's depts, and at places like Susie's Deals, Dress Barn, and other places to get cute clothes at good prices.
I think Kohls is around here. But part of the problem is that my budget allows for clothes only at thrift stores (with the occasional, once a year, nice piece at Ross or TJ Maxx). So, I'm stuck with what people donate. However, if anyone wants to donate their nicer used clothes, I'm open!
Old 02 February 2007, 06:52 PM
Doug4.7

Icon09

When I first saw this thread, I thought it had something to do with global warming....
Old 02 February 2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
I am just curious, but what exactly is the point of bringing up the size of your breasts? And how does wearing a man's button up shirt remove the tenting? Men's shirts have no waist shaping.

Can't answer for Ryda, but I think it has to do with manufacturere refusing to accomodate any "excess baggage" whatsoever. I have to buy most of my blouses a size (or two) bigger to accomodate "the twins", or to avoid disaster at any rate, and then they look baggy (the blouses, not my boobs) because they are too large everywhere else. I have only noticed this being a problem in the last few years-- and the clothes have changed, not me.

I have started avoiding this issue by simply wearing a tank top or tee shirt underneath and just not buttoning the blouse all the way.

To me it is part of the general frustration that it seems like women's clothing is designed to make us insecure about out bodies. Somehow the "classic" hourglass shape is out and something bizarre and unattainable has taken its place.

ETA: Thanks for the info about Kohl's. My brother and SIL bought me two shirts (not blouses, but still) there and they fit beautifully. I went after Christmas and found some nicely fitting pants as well.

Last edited by TurquoiseGirl; 02 February 2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02 February 2007, 09:40 PM

Glasses

T-Girl, I used to have an hourglass figure, but the sand shifted. Damn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4.7 View Post
When I first saw this thread, I thought it had something to do with global warming....
I don't get it. What am I missing?
Old 02 February 2007, 10:48 PM

My poor sister is in her 30s and naturally thin. Everyone assumes she must be dieting hard or something, and some are even jealous. Well, she does look like some kind of health freak, I mean she's way taller then me and doesn't weight all that much more. But she was annoyed because she was at the neighbors house visiting and the neighbor bought all health food, diet food (which she hates the taste of) assuming that was what she lived on.

We're all in the mating game it seems. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. People either despise you for being who you are, or despise you when you try and be something else.
Old 02 February 2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseGirl View Post
Can't answer for Ryda, but I think it has to do with manufacturere refusing to accomodate any "excess baggage" whatsoever. I have to buy most of my blouses a size (or two) bigger to accomodate "the twins", or to avoid disaster at any rate, and then they look baggy (the blouses, not my boobs) because they are too large everywhere else. I have only noticed this being a problem in the last few years-- and the clothes have changed, not me.
I noticed this with skirts even when I was a child. Women's short skirts are made to measure the same length all around the hem. However, women have -gasp!- butts that usually stick out farther than their stomachs. Therefore, the back of a skirt will usually be raised up higher than the front when a woman's wearing it, because the designers don't think to include that extra little fabric to cover a normal, healthy butt.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I noticed this with skirts even when I was a child. Women's short skirts are made to measure the same length all around the hem. However, women have -gasp!- butts that usually stick out farther than their stomachs. Therefore, the back of a skirt will usually be raised up higher than the front when a woman's wearing it, because the designers don't think to include that extra little fabric to cover a normal, healthy butt.
I think this is yet another case where student interns would make more sense than anything else. I mean, all the students I know compensate for this in there designs. I've also seen monumental crimes of bad design perpetrated by 'professionals' where a student intern would do way better.
Old 03 February 2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
I think Kohls is around here. But part of the problem is that my budget allows for clothes only at thrift stores (with the occasional, once a year, nice piece at Ross or TJ Maxx). So, I'm stuck with what people donate. However, if anyone wants to donate their nicer used clothes, I'm open!
Ryda, have you looked around at the clearance racks at Kohl's much? I only ask because I've found that I can get clothes at Kohl's for MUCH cheaper than most thrift stores, generally speaking (unless we're talking about half price days at the Goodwill!)

On clearance around here, they'll almost always have a 75% off rack, most of which was marked down 25-40 percent to begin with, then an additional 75 percent off of that.

I can frequently find shirts for 1-3 dollars and jeans for 5-10. I've even gotten some nice sweaters at the end of spring for 25 cents each (one in each color)!

The only problem with that is that you generally have to buy two seasons ahead, rather than for the next season coming up.

Also, if you have a Macy's nearby, when I worked at an LS Ayres (which Macy's bought) they'd have one of those "use your Ayres charge card and automatically get an extra 15% off of all sale and clearance items" sales every single weekend. If you can find a 75% off clearance rack and go in on a weekend, you can get a really good deal.
Old 03 February 2007, 12:16 PM
FloridaGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseGirl View Post

I have started avoiding this issue by simply wearing a tank top or tee shirt underneath and just not buttoning the blouse all the way.

To me it is part of the general frustration that it seems like women's clothing is designed to make us insecure about out bodies. Somehow the "classic" hourglass shape is out and something bizarre and unattainable has taken its place.
I also avoid the issue by layering. Tank tops are the best thing ever.

If, I do not want to layer, I have two choices: to buy in the juniors, get a large, x-large, and have stretch to see-throuh-thin at the chest while it tent, or buy medium in the misses and have it fit my chest while somehow make me look like I'm wearing a used potato sack.
Old 03 February 2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
This is accurate. My wife who is the size 12 of today says 12 was at least a 14 in the 80's. She was a 10 in 1980, which on today's european numbers would be a 6 or 8.
It is also true of mens clothes. If I buy in a chain store the waist is 34. But if I buy in a boutique a 32 will often fit me. I took out some pairs recently and used my tape measure. Surprise, surprise, the 32 was indistinguishable in width from the 34.
I have a dress from the 70's. It's a size 12. It's too small for my friend who said when she tried it on that she wears a 6 in today's sizes.

OTOH, when my aunt died, she had some old XLs in her wardrobe from maybe the early to mid 80's which where huge on me. I can't wear many XLs in the stores today because they are far too small. Maybe it's the cut or the fit difference in styles between then and now.

Last edited by Sara@home; 03 February 2007 at 03:33 PM.