snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 30 January 2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I thought it was pretty obvious that Holtzmann was attracted to women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I thought she was way more into technology than humans of any gender.
Yes I though she was more into technology the any gender.
Old 03 February 2019, 10:03 AM

Whalephant

So.... Your wife can get on our WiFi on both her laptop and her phone. Your son can get online with his iPad. Yes. Clearly our WiFi isn't working because you can't get on with your device.
Old 05 February 2019, 01:05 PM

You don't come in to McDonald's, pick a used cup out of the trash, go to the fountain and fill it with soda, and *take a seat and drink it.*

You really, really don't do that.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 05 February 2019, 07:40 PM

That is wrong on so many levels.
Old 05 February 2019, 09:34 PM

Ewwwww!

and characters
Old 06 February 2019, 02:06 PM

Icon86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Ewwwww!

and characters

Ditto on that.
Old 06 February 2019, 05:25 PM

At the McDonald's by my house (and probably others), they mark the coffee cups with the date. Seniors get free refills, which is supposed to be for that visit only, but they were saving the cups and bringing them back day after day, along with their packed lunch. The mgmt don't seem to crack down on 'outside food' as long as there's enough seating for actual customers, but they did fix the free coffee situation.
Old 06 February 2019, 07:38 PM

Reminds me of when I was working at the sawmill: the water we had in the employee bathroom was untreated water that came right out of a creek. I gave a new worker a buck to buy a soda from the vending machine in the break room because he hadn't brought anything to drink and thought he'd drink out of the sink.

Shortly thereafter management installed a water cooler in the break room.
Old 07 February 2019, 09:38 PM

I had a slightly odd conversation today with somebody who didn't quite seem to understand why documentation might need to be updated when software was updated. If you add a new feature, then the new feature needs to be documented! I can't somehow phrase my documentation in advance to allow for explanations of new features in the future!
Old 07 February 2019, 11:05 PM

Maybe they've been reading user agreements, which sometimes do seem to include clauses that amount to 'User also agrees to anything that Company may do in the future'.
Old 08 February 2019, 06:22 AM

They may well have been. I'm not sure whether this person quite understands the point of documentation, or thinks it's necessary at all, though. They criticised one document (that we could potentially have shown a client to demonstrate that we had decent documentation) as being "too wordy"... (And to be clear, that's not from reading it and finding it long-winded. It's from glancing at a just-opened copy on screen and seeing the words in it). I'm not sure they understand the difference between a glossy brochure, and actual documentation.
Old 08 February 2019, 01:51 PM

It's quite possible that they think of 'documentation' as meaning only 'contained in a document': in other words, anything written down about anything at all.

You may have to back up several levels of explanation -- presuming, of course, that they'll listen if you do so. If this is willful ignorance instead of just plain ignorance, they won't.
Old 08 February 2019, 06:36 PM

Well... I can't really be too specific but suffice to say I'm not the only person trying to work out the actual requirement that's intended to be met by the (existing) document in question, or the purposes to which this person wants to put it once updated. (I was asked to update something that was produced before I started - not the one that's "too wordy", which I've already partly updated and is in a reasonable state to release).

If it's supposed to be pure marketing, then I can see how it could be "finished" and not need to be updated much even if product details change. But if it is, I'm the wrong person to be doing it, and it's not really the right document. (You're right, there are people who seem to think that anything written down is the preserve of the technical writer, and don't understand that perhaps other people - even themselves - might sometimes need to write things down as well, even if it's only to give me a starting point. But many areas are completely outside my remit and still need to be written down).

Although the person talking didn't seem to be talking just about this one document anyway, when we had the conversation about "finishing"... and if they understand that the document needs to be updated now because of product changes, I don't get how they think it would never need to be updated again, given that the product is still changing. To be fair we did come to an "only updated for external releases" semi-understanding, which is reasonable enough because that's exactly when you'd want to have all the docs up-to-date, but it's not entirely clear whether this person understands release cycles, either. (Or whether they mean much in this context...)

Either way there are several potential levels of cross-purposes involved. Fortunately there are others who see things the way I do, and I'm not the one who has to sort out the misunderstandings...! By the time I actually have to do the work, it should be clearer.

Last edited by Richard W; 08 February 2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08 February 2019, 07:42 PM

Who is the document intended for? It sounds like the issue might be that several audiences are being catered for!

Is your intended audience future developers of customers? or implementers?
Old 08 February 2019, 07:50 PM

That's one of the issues. One of the first things I did when handed a copy of this document was to go through it with coloured post-it strips and stick them on each page to colour code all the different audiences that the document seemed to be aimed at, since I couldn't work it out myself. It's rather incoherent, and I have no idea what (in this context) it's supposed to be doing. There's some useful material in there which works as basic training for end customers (although only for a sample of the functionality), but it's mixed up with marketing stuff and some reference material in an unhelpful format.

... But, to summarise the rest of the post that I just removed because I really shouldn't be discussing things like this here, under my real name, these things are in hand. I've already thought of the suggestions here, and there are others who do understand the issues working towards the same thing. I just thought the original conversation was a funny example of something you shouldn't have to tell somebody...

Last edited by Richard W; 08 February 2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10 February 2019, 02:33 AM

If you're trying to reach me by phone for a legitimate reason (that is, you're not a telemarketer or a robocall) and I don't answer, leave me a voicemail and I'll call you back. I, like many people, will not answer if I don't recognize the number on the caller ID and am not expecting a call. If you don't leave a message that will just confirm my thinking that you're not someone I want to talk to or at least that your reason for calling isn't important. I got a letter in the mail yesterday from a company that I do business with saying "We've been trying to reach you by phone regarding your account and have been unsuccessful". You were unsuccessful because you didn't leave a voicemail. If you had left a message I would have called back.
Old 13 February 2019, 05:30 PM

Frying Pan

If your appointment is at 10:15 and you arrive at 10:35 with the excuse that you thought it was at 10:30, you're still late! Also, you're welcome to take a phone call (on speakerphone )but you need to go outside to do so. The other people in lobby of the Vet clinic don't want to hear your conversation.
Old 15 February 2019, 03:19 AM

Although using your turn signal is generally a good thing, activating your turn signal more than a block before you plan to turn is just confusing.
Old 15 February 2019, 04:52 AM

A stop sign is not a place to check your text messages, look up your destination, or whatever it was that you were doing, blocking the road. Pull into a parking lot.
Old 17 February 2019, 06:49 AM

France

Prompted by something that happened at work the other night :

If you want to steal something, it's better to steal it in a place with no cameras. Because in my workplace, Big Brother is watching you.