snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 12 June 2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Babylon 5 just got set up on Amazon Prime this month.

Man, the special effects haven't aged nearly as gracefully as DS9's.
To be honest, I never thought that B5's special effects were all that snazzy, even when it was first aired.
Old 12 June 2018, 03:19 PM

Glasses

I rewatch Stargate fairly often, and its special effects vary, depending on the episode. The effect in The Light (season 4, circa 2001) is still amazing. The effects in Crystal Skull (season 3, circa 2000) are just as terrible now as they were then (IMO, the cave in Crystal Skull is one of the worst special effects they ever did. If you're curious, ask me why).

Seaboe
Old 05 October 2018, 12:20 AM

I just re-watched You, Me and the Apocalypse on Amazon and made myself gutted all over again that there's not going to be a second series.

It was a brilliant show, equal parts absurd and tense. You would probably have to find imploding stars hilarious in order to watch a darker comedy, but despite that it was never particularly mean-spirited. The drama was spot on too, with twists that surprised me even watching it twice (admittedly because I'd forgotten some of it since it first aired some time around 2015), and I don't think I've seen a more immediately gripping first episode of any series since the first episode of this one. The casting was great, too, despite the occasional dodgy American accent, and the characters were likeable even when they really shouldn't have been. I never thought I'd enjoy a character with a Swastika tattooed on her forehead!

I wish that some writers would consider writing a cancelled series in a new format, such as a podcast or a comic book or novel or anything, just to save the fans from being left dangling and to give themselves the outlet to finish the work they started.

I want to know who was in that crate at the end, damnit!
Old 07 January 2019, 04:24 AM

I bought the DVD of The Baby-Sitters Club a couple of weeks ago. For some reason, the first episode was “Claudia and the Mystery of the Secret Passage”, the one where Claudia finds a note hidden in Dawn’s house. Two observations here:

1) Claudia reads Nancy Drew. Why does she first assume the supernatural aspect?
and
2) WTF is up with Janine’s vocabulary? Couldn’t they get an English professor to nerd it up properly?
Old 07 January 2019, 02:58 PM

Rewatching Young Justice, as the new series came out, surprising me a bit. I also started watching Teen Titans for the first time, and there is no comparison between the two. Young Justice is so much better. Heck, Teen Titans Go! is better than Teen Titans - at least it knows what it is supposed to be.
Old 07 January 2019, 04:44 PM

Goldfish

Monty Python's Flying Circus. It's on Netflix now.
Old 07 January 2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Rewatching Young Justice, as the new series came out, surprising me a bit. I also started watching Teen Titans for the first time, and there is no comparison between the two. Young Justice is so much better. Heck, Teen Titans Go! is better than Teen Titans - at least it knows what it is supposed to be.
OK, I'm a big fan of Young Justice, but I was a big fan of Teen Titans long before that, and still am. That's not to say it's not flawed, particularly from the perspective of the mature viewer; the action/fight sequences tend to be too drawn out and many of the episodes would probably be as good if they were half as long. The show does have a bit of a split personality between the (relatively) serious episodes and the ones that take a left turn into wonderland -- some of the villains (Mad Mod and Control Freak, for example) exhibit essentially godlike powers with no real explanation. Which is not to say those episodes aren't fun, but if you're trying to make the series make any kind of sense, yeah, never mind.

But if you stick with the main story arc episodes, I think seasons one, two, and particularly four are really excellent, and it's just a marvelous set of characters. (Tara Strong's Raven is likely to overshadow all attempts in the future to do the character "right." "Right" isn't always better, I guess would be the lesson here...)
Old 07 January 2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Monty Python's Flying Circus. It's on Netflix now.
That reminds me, I re-watched a few episodes of Fawlty Towers over the holidays. John Cleese is brilliant. And it's available on Netflix as well.
Old 07 January 2019, 07:15 PM

I've started re-watching Peep Show, although after series 5 it will turn into a new show for me because that's as far as I've seen.

A few years ago I made the mistake of buying the series 1 - 3 DVD box set while the run was still ongoing, and while I managed to get series 4 and 5 on DVD individually, after that I stopped for a while and the rest were impossible to get on their own, and I didn't want to duplicate the ones I already had, so I never ended up seeing them. Now that I've got a job and can buy things again, I went and looked for the full DVD box set and you can get all 9 series for only £35 or so, which seemed like a bargain so I got that and will take the ones I already had to a second-hand shop.

So I started watching again from the beginning. The first series is pretty funny but it's the second series (and especially Rachel Blanchard's character, Nancy) that made me really laugh this time round. I'm only half way through it. I hope I can carry on and watch the whole thing... if you don't like comedies of embarrassment and cringe-worthy situations, it's probably not your thing, because that's almost the entire premise, but it's mitigated by Mark and Jez's internal dialogues, which generally take the edge off - and also the fantastic writing, at least as far as I've seen. But I remember that by series 4 or 5 it was starting to reach my own tolerance for those things.

So far this time through I'm still really enjoying it though.
Old 08 January 2019, 03:35 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
I bought the DVD of The Baby-Sitters Club a couple of weeks ago. For some reason, the first episode was “Claudia and the Mystery of the Secret Passage”, the one where Claudia finds a note hidden in Dawn’s house. Two observations here:

1) Claudia reads Nancy Drew. Why does she first assume the supernatural aspect?
and
2) WTF is up with Janine’s vocabulary? Couldn’t they get an English professor to nerd it up properly?
If you enjoy snarking nostalgic crap, this website has several takedowns of the series. Pro Tip: the ones done by 3 foot 6 are the best.
Old 08 January 2019, 04:38 PM

I was looking for brainless TV last night and saw that Frasier was on CMT. It happened to be the 1st 2 episodes on the show. It's a lot more yell-y than I remember. I had to turn down the volume.

Following that, was Three's Company. Again, it turned out to the be the 1st 2 episodes of the show. What struck me was how not-dumb Chrissy was. I guess I only remember the later seasons when she was really stupid. Originally, she was kind of naive, but not the 'dumb blonde' yet. And no snorting laugh.

I won't be watching more though...
Old 18 January 2019, 03:57 AM

Was feeling the need for some David Attenborough, so I'm currently rewatching The Hunt on Netflix
Old 18 January 2019, 04:18 AM

I just rewatched Pushing Daisies. It was cancelled at the two (short) seasons mark, which seemed much too soon. Watching it again, it may not have been such a bad thing. I still really enjoyed it, but I wonder if it would have held up for much longer. It seemed like it took a bit of a dip in season 2, but was still good. I'm not sure how a season 3 would have held up.

Now I'm looking for something else to watch.
Old 05 February 2019, 09:03 PM

I don’t know if I’d call this a re-watch, but last night I found the first episode of Blue Heelers. For all the jokes about how a small Victoria town is somehow as dangerous as the big smoke, this was (rather unsurprisingly) a solid start to one of Australia’s most watched dramas.