snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 04 January 2019, 03:03 AM

Airplane Scrap Value of an A380

Or: How the Airbus A380 superjumbo went from an airline status symbol to being sold for spare parts in just 10 years

The Airbus A380 entered service in 2007 with great fanfare. A decade later, the arrival of an Airbus Superjumbo remains an event to behold.

But, the A380 has not been the game-changer Airbus had hoped it would become when it conceived the massive double-decker. This is especially the case on the financial front.

https://www.businessinsider.com/airb...history-2018-6

I would think, that with the limited in-service fleet, the used parts market will quickly become saturated as the first productions models get broken up.

That's a lot of beer cans and frying pans!
Old 04 January 2019, 01:43 PM

The initial cost is a huge amount of money to have to recoup in a ten year lifespan, if the planes don't have any aftermarket life. I do wonder why the airlines would spend $430 million on a new plane when they can get a ten year old one for $80, and then spend $80 totally refurbishing it, but then I am a person who buys used cars.
Old 04 January 2019, 03:23 PM

I think most airlines lease their aircraft, wnich changes the dynamics. Also, operating costs for a new plane may be much lower than for a refurbished one. And operating costs, especially fuel and maintenance) are probably several times the difference in purchase price.
Old 04 January 2019, 03:43 PM

That, and the fact there are a relatively few number of airports with facilities to handle an A380.

~Psihala
Old 04 January 2019, 04:42 PM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
The initial cost is a huge amount of money to have to recoup in a ten year lifespan, if the planes don't have any aftermarket life.
Well, most planes have a useful lifespan of 20-30 years*, the A380 being no exception. Singapore Airlines is a bit of an outlier in the airline industry in that they prefer to fly only newer planes, and replace their fleet about every 10 years. I predict the other airlines that have A380s (Lufthansa, Air France, etc.) will keep them for their entire useful lives precisely because there's virtually no resale market for them.

*Really they can go even longer with good maintenance, but about 30 years seems to be the point where the maintenance costs, fuel, etc., start to outweigh the cost of replacing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I think most airlines lease their aircraft, wnich changes the dynamics. Also, operating costs for a new plane may be much lower than for a refurbished one. And operating costs, especially fuel and maintenance) are probably several times the difference in purchase price.
Most airlines have a mix of leased and owned aircraft, as there are advantages and disadvantages to both. By leasing aircraft, they can get new planes with lower operating costs, but they have to fly them pretty much constantly to recoup the lease payments. But demand for air travel varies a lot depending on the time of year. Planes that are owned outright, particularly older ones that are completely paid off (think Delta's MD-80s) can be parked during the slow season without losing too much money and brought back into service when demand is high.
Old 07 January 2019, 06:37 PM

Sorry for the double post days later, but I learned on another forum that these particular ex-Singapore Airlines A380s were the first couple of A380s ever built, and they had some issues with their wiring that needed to be fixed before they were put into service. Because of that rework to the wiring these planes are somewhat non-standard, which makes them undesirable on the secondhand market. So the fact that these A380s are being scrapped may not necessarily be an indication of the resale market for newer A380s.

Here's an NYT article about the wiring issues from the time: https://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/11/b...s.3860198.html
Old 09 January 2019, 04:36 PM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
That's a lot of beer cans and frying pans!
Or parts for Forged in Fire contestants to use.
Old 09 January 2019, 05:11 PM

I'd go for the wheel or engine bearings, they are the parts most likely to be hardenable steel. Struts might be too, but they are tubes which would mean a strong possibility of having voids in the knife.