snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 19 October 2015, 02:38 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
I can not see this meeting FAA FAR's requirements for egress.
You mean this? Because it doesn't actually say anything about seating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
They know it will never be allowed under current rules, but they want to have the patent on file so if it ever does become possible they're be the ones who get the royalties.
Only if it comes to market within 17 years of the granting of the patent. After that, it's just prior art.

Seaboe
Old 20 October 2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

You mean this? Because it doesn't actually say anything about seating.

Seaboe
I was thinking about 25.803 Emergency evacuation requiring airplane to be within 90 seconds as outlined in appendix J.

I spend far to much time with my nose in this document and just barely understand the basics for cabin interiors. Just know how to look things up to check my work. I would never make it as a Designated Engineering Representative (DER).
Old 20 October 2015, 01:00 AM

Default Coming soon? Standing instead of sitting on planes

It's not some miserable dystopic movie scene about class polarization.

The vertical passenger seat -- or "standing cabin" -- may be the next big cost-cutting move in aviation, according to a new report whose author says the concept could be here within five years.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/10/travel...n-plane-study/
Old 20 October 2015, 02:18 PM

Glasses

I have to think it would also reduce passenger comfort by a considerable margin, and thus vastly reduce the appeal of flying those short hops that inspired it.

To fly to Spokane from Seattle takes 1 hour (55 minutes, sometimes) in the air, and 1.5 hours at the airport looking for parking and/or waiting around. If you're flying at a busy time, that will stretch to 2 hours because you need extra time to get through security. At the other end, it takes at least 1/2 hour to gather luggage and pick up a rental car (or wait for someone to pick you up). Total, 4 hours, more or less.

Driving there at the current speed limit takes 4.5 hours. Plus, you end up with your own vehicle, and can leave for the city (and from the city) any time you like.

Now, there are times I'd consider flying (mostly having to do with weather), but if I couldn't sit down during the flight, I wouldn't bother to fly there at all.

Seaboe
Old 20 October 2015, 05:59 PM

Once again, though, it's the evacuation requirements, not physical space, that limit how many seats you can install on an airplane. The only airlines I could see going for something like this would be the likes of Ryanair and Spirit. Using Ryanair as an example, they already have 189 seats in their 737-800s, and that's the maximum they can legally have. So this standing arrangement would have no advantage. They have convinced Boeing to bump that up to 200 on the upcoming 737MAX by basically having them install the exit doors from the 737-900 on an -800 sized plane, but even then I think they were planning on fitting in the additional seats by shrinking or eliminating the galley, not by using this standing arrangement.

I guess a more traditional airline could have a three cabin arrangement with a spacious first class cabin, a standard economy section, and a standing section and still be under the limit. The question is would the additional seats make up for the discount they would have to offer in order for people to be willing to stand?
Old 21 October 2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I guess a more traditional airline could have a three cabin arrangement with a spacious first class cabin, a standard economy section, and a standing section and still be under the limit. The question is would the additional seats make up for the discount they would have to offer in order for people to be willing to stand?
Or, possibly, leave some more space for cargo.