snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 07 August 2014, 05:38 PM

Baseball

I use miniature carabiners.

I have several from a set of water bottles I bought a few years ago.

http://www.miniinthebox.com/mini-d-s...words_shopping

They work great and are sturdy enough to use as a hanger holder when I need to hang several things off of a small hook in a bathroom.
Old 07 August 2014, 05:48 PM

That makes sense. I probably have a few lying around at home.

I also thought of velcro cable ties since posting as well.
Old 07 August 2014, 06:47 PM

I've used paper clips before.
Old 07 August 2014, 06:51 PM

I don't think I've locked my checked baggage in years. Anything valuable comes with me in carry-on.
Old 07 August 2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
I don't think I've locked my checked baggage in years. Anything valuable comes with me in carry-on.
Yeah, if someone insists on stealing my dirty underwear, have at it.
Old 07 August 2014, 07:07 PM

Baseball

Some of us are by default required to check some valuable items. Army kit does not fit well into carry ons (and some of it is not allowed in carry on).

Besides, even when I don't have valuable items in my checked luggage, the items are still mine and I would prefer they not be spilling out in some hangar facility because some loadie threw the bag from one spot to another while the zipper was partially undone.

It may be a matter of principle, but I stand by it.
Old 07 August 2014, 07:21 PM

My data points:

I prefer Southwest with their open seating. I also opt to pay the $12.50 (per each one way) for Early Bird Check in. That way, they check me in, and I get the earliest assignment available (usually a mid A like A30 or so)

When I go to the airport, I wear comfy bluejeans, a shirt with a breast pocket, slip-on shoes, and maybe a light leather belt. I stuff all my pocket material (keys, phone, wallet into my carry-on backpack. the breast pocket on the shirt is the perfect place to keep ID, passport, and boarding documents.

I don't carry a laptop anymore because they make you take it out at the security line, whereas they usually don't with a tablet. Also, you do not have to turn your tablet, e-reader, or phone off at all on the airplane (it just has to be in airplane mode).

I would echo giving yourself plenty of time. You never know how busy the ticket counter or security counter will be.

ETA: No checked bag fees with Southwest!

Last edited by CenTex; 07 August 2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07 August 2014, 08:52 PM

Airplane

I recently flew to New Orleans after not being on a plane for many years.

You will need to print your itinerary and bring it with you, (or put it on your phone if you have a fancy one). This needs to be done 24 hours or less before your flight. This is how you confirm your flight these days. Expedia sent me an email the day before my flight with directions. You can print your ticket too.

At the airport after you find your airline in the terminal they have kiosks where you swipe your driver license and put in your numbers from your itinerary. Someone will help you if you need it. The screens have lots of upgrade choices like $19 to be seated first, or switch to first class, check a bag, etc. Your boarding passes and baggage claim will print out. Then you hand over your bag and go to security. Everyone was really nice to me.

So, yeah, be there 2 hours early, wear comfortable clothes, shoes easy to slip off, keep ID and flight info handy. I brought a good paperback and kept my boarding pass in it. I also had a drink, and also had one on the plane. It was a little bottle of white wine for $7. Credit card only.

Also, I am pretty pudgy so I asked the flight attendent for a seat belt extension which she cheerfully gave me. Made it easier to click and made me more comfortable.

It was way less stressful than I expected. I was quite anxious, and it went very smoothly.
Old 07 August 2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyAtAll View Post

You will need to print your itinerary and bring it with you, (or put it on your phone if you have a fancy one). This needs to be done 24 hours or less before your flight. This is how you confirm your flight these days. Expedia sent me an email the day before my flight with directions. You can print your ticket too.
If you don't have your itinerary, they can usually look up your flight with your Drivers license, but having the itinerary helps. Each airline uses a unique code on each reservation (some refer to it as a confirmation, others as a record locator). In any event, that number will help them find your flight and check you in, or if you are at a self service kiosk, that number will help you find your flight.
Old 07 August 2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Really? That seems strange since neither airport is a hub for them or anyone else but Southwest, and that would be kind of an oddball point to point route.
That is in response to my remark about non-stop OKC-BWI-OKC in post #15 and I've been corrected. I guess the stopover in DFW was so uneventful, I'd forgotten about it, but I checked the credit card transaction and indeed both ways were through DFW. Youngest daughter didn't remember, but oldest daughter, who was living in Norman said yea, we did go through DFW and I apparently had some BBQ beef in some eatery at DFW. Now, that I was reminded about it, yep, it wasn't a non-stop.

Oldest said we might have been out of it, as we were probably still in jet lag from Kuwait to OKC

Guess I am getting senile. As Emily Litella has said before, "Never Mind."
Old 07 August 2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post

We don't "lock" our checked bags, but we use cheap plastic tie-wraps on the suitcases with zippers. They basically keep the honest folks out and keeps the zippers from coming open.

My favorite suitcase is a Zero Halliburton aluminum case with snap latches and I run two-inch wide filament tape across the latches to keep them from popping open during handling.

With both the tie-wraps and tape, I can tell if the luggage has been opened.
Old 07 August 2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
We don't "lock" our checked bags, but we use cheap plastic tie-wraps on the suitcases with zippers. They basically keep the honest folks out and keeps the zippers from coming open.
That's what I do as well. I used to use luggage locks, but lost one to a TSA search (it wasn't one of the "approved" ones so they just cut it off). I still always bring a lock for my bag, but I use the lock when staying in sketchy hotels and hostels, or when travelling via bus or train...any place with a risk of petty thievery. I highly doubt anyone would want to steal my shoes or my souvenirs, but I'd be bummed if it did happen.
Old 08 August 2014, 01:17 PM

Haven't had a real chance to read through these yet for several reasons, but I appreciate the responses and will address shortly!