snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 06 August 2014, 05:14 PM

There are seeds in my watermelon.
Old 06 August 2014, 05:35 PM

Tsk, Tsk

People who constantly get out of their seats during a movie. We went to see Godzilla yesterday, and this one guy kept getting up and taking his kids, one at a time, to the bathroom or something. They must have gone at least 3 times each.
Old 06 August 2014, 06:53 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender blue View Post
That's a first world problem.

Seaboe
Old 06 August 2014, 07:02 PM

Poor lavender blue can't win!
Old 06 August 2014, 07:39 PM

I went to Nordstrom's today to find out what a 32C or 30D bra actually looks like (the alleged size I'm "supposed" to be wearing). You've got to be kidding me. There is no way I can breathe in a 32-inch band. I can barely squeeze into a 34, regardless of what the tape measure says. So I'm sticking with 36As since I don't actually have much to support anyway, and no cup sizes or bands or straps actually sit properly on me because of my bizarre body configurations. Bra shopping is such a horrible experience and makes me feel like a freak. I'd rather wear what someone else deems an "ill-fitting" bra than put myself through that.
Old 06 August 2014, 07:48 PM

Every woman is a freak when she's trying on a bra.
Old 06 August 2014, 07:52 PM

Spit Take

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Seaboe
In the third world, that's not a problem, but a chance to plant more next season.

LTTAM - When I am putting sweetener from packets in my coffee, and I drop the paper packet into the wet stuff at the bottom (I put in sweetener first, so I do not have to waste a stirrer).
Old 06 August 2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:

Seaboe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Poor lavender blue can't win!
I need a emoji with that has hands being thrown up with exasperation.

I guess the fact I keep mistaking 'first world problems' for 'little things that annoy me' means I'm spoiled?
Old 06 August 2014, 07:56 PM

Is an emoji the same as an emoticon? And if so, why a different term?
Old 06 August 2014, 08:02 PM

I don't really know if they are technically different. I just couldn't remember the word emoticon at the time I was posting.
Old 06 August 2014, 08:04 PM

I heard someone use it in the radio, and it was confusing to me, as I had never heard or seen emoji before.
Old 06 August 2014, 08:34 PM

I desperately need new bras, but I gained about 10-15 pounds over winter, which was enough that my clothes still (mostly) fit but my bra size is a little off. I was planning to drop some money on properly fitted bras at a lingerie store with a good reputation for fittings, but I don't want to until I get my act together and drop back down to a more comfortable a size/shape. I should really just get over myself and at least buy some cheap-ish bras that mostly fit.
Old 06 August 2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Is an emoji the same as an emoticon? And if so, why a different term?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon

They're very closely related and pretty much synonymous in many circumstances. I guess technically speaking emojis are a type of emoticon available on certain devices/phones and via certain operating systems.
Old 06 August 2014, 09:04 PM

I've twice now had what looks like a dodgy phishing "security scare warning" pretending to be from Norton Anti-Virus randomly pop up in the corner of my screen, asking if I had any Android devices and warning that I should click to protect them.

The first time I was in a browser so I assumed it was a phishing ad, although I wasn't looking at any dubious sites so it worried me a little that it had even appeared. The second time, I initially thought the same thing, then realised I was looking at Google Earth. But I had Firefox open in the background so maybe the ad had come from there in a new window - or maybe it was malware itself.

Then I looked at the toolbar, and realised that it wasn't a fake Norton Anti-Virus warning. Bloody Norton Anti-Virus itself is popping up this random, badly-styled, irrelevant security scare ad that looks exactly like the kind of phishing attempt that any of us with any sense have long since known to avoid. I really hate anti-virus software... if only viruses weren't worse... It looks dubious enough that I didn't even dare click the "don't show this again" link. Next time it appears, I'll run Task Manager to make sure it's legitimate and then do so.
Old 06 August 2014, 09:29 PM

Norton and McAfee both have basically become malware. The worst are when they partner along with legitimate updates, like java or Adobe and you have to be paying attention to deselect it on the update or it will install along with the update. I just ordered a new laptop (having done my old one in with a glass of Vino Verde) and McAfee came preinstalled despite my having told HP not to do so. It's main screen is using scare faux warnings, reporting that two trojans were removed since last scan, despite there being nothing in the logs and giving a scan date of mid-May when the machine was built in July. I'm going to uninstall it and just download something else.
Old 07 August 2014, 02:03 PM

Glasses

Quote:
I need a emoji with that has hands being thrown up with exasperation.
Just because it's one doesn't mean it can't be the other. As far as I'm concerned, you can continue to post similar complaints in both lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie View Post
(having done my old one in with a glass of Vino Verde)
Green wine? Is that a brand name or a description? (not making a joke).

Very little thing that annoys me: gas stations that let their windshield buckets go dry.

Seaboe
Old 07 August 2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
Someone came into my yard and drove over the area where my apple trees were planted. I'm just furious and ready to cry. I had planted these at the beginning of May and they were doing so well. I had 6 trees. Two are untouched, three are completely gone, and one looks like it might make it though it was beat up a bit.
That's more than a little thing.
Old 07 August 2014, 02:46 PM

Yeah, I've grown a bunch of plants from seed and I'd be pretty mad if anyone vandalized any of them.
Old 07 August 2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Green wine? Is that a brand name or a description? (not making a joke).

Seaboe
Vihno Verde (I spelled it wrong initially).

An appellation but not a specific varietal. Meant to be drunk young or while it's still "green." It's Portuguese and all Vihno Verdes come from the Minho region of Portugal. It's white, with a tiny bit of sweetness and just a little bit of effervescence. It's pretty wonderful on a warm summer evening. Just not so wonderful for laptop computers.
Old 07 August 2014, 04:16 PM

Lots of people are freaking out over one of my phobias. Somehow, that makes me feel worse about havig the phobia.

I've had a long time phobia about Ebola epidemics. I have to check the WHO website reglarly just to reassure myself that there is no outbreak. Now that there is an actual epidemic, I don'thave that comfort and patients being brought here sent me into a full panic attack. I don't really feel like I can tell people that without being lumped in with all the people who just now noticed the disease.
Closed Thread