snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 24 July 2014, 02:21 PM

My grocery delivery is going to be late this morning, and I will be on a conference call when they arrive.
Old 24 July 2014, 02:33 PM

It would skew the results towards the majority means if there were a significant number of households with more than 2 people who commute.
Old 24 July 2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Which way would they be trying to skew it? It was just luck that quink's husband opened the door and gave the answer as "driving". If she had answered the door, the results would have been skewed the other way and the census would record that no one in the house drove to work. I don't see how census takers could work out beforehand who's going to answer the door.
There would be a slight trend toward the one whose commute takes the least time, since that person presumably would be at home more. OTOH, one would expect car drivers to do the grocery shopping (particularly the last minute things) or picking up takeout, where there is a divided means-of-commute household, and so that person would be away more than s/he would otherwise.
Old 24 July 2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
It would skew the results towards the majority means if there were a significant number of households with more than 2 people who commute.
Not sure I understand this. If, say, every household has 1 drive and 2 people who use public transportation, then we should expect a driver to open the door 1/3 of the time, and the results would be correct, no? (Well, ok, there's the stuff A Turtle Named Mack said, but otherwise.)

Last edited by Steve; 24 July 2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 26 July 2014, 11:16 PM

A couple of years ago, I set my ringtone to the "classic telephone bell" sound because I liked it. Now it seems like everybody uses it, and we're back to the days when you hear a cell phone ringing in a public place and eight people stop to check if it's theirs.

I don't want to change. I want everyone else to change. Harumph!
Old 29 July 2014, 12:50 AM

The Doctor Who series premiere falls during my very demanding large animal medicine and surgery rotation so I probably won't get to watch it right away or host a viewing party like I've done in the past. And one of my favourite Whovians is gone until October.
Old 01 August 2014, 08:30 PM

Goldfish

Being a geek in a relationship with a non-geek.

Ash has lost his favorite toy, THE FISHY. Today, with faux seriousness, my s/o suggested that it was my duty to locate Ash's toy. He told me I needed to find the fish.

So, I wandered around the house for a few minutes doing this...

He looked at me, completely lost, and did not understand the reference at all.

*sigh*

And I still haven't found the fish... that WENT wherever Iiiiii did GOOoooo!
Old 01 August 2014, 08:55 PM

Sorry, but when I hear an animal is missing a toy, my mind goes somewhere else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_KrSWI8F2E

Trigger warning if yelling around animals or at people is an issue.
Old 01 August 2014, 09:36 PM

Goldfish

Well, THE FISHY is the greatest cat toy in the world, but I wouldn't go that far.
Old 01 August 2014, 10:38 PM

Horses keep whinnying disruptively outside my window.
Old 01 August 2014, 10:42 PM

Have you looked around for Cloris Leachman?
Old 02 August 2014, 04:46 PM

Goldfish

Yay! I found THE FISHY! Huzzah! THE FISHY is back! WHOOHOO!

We looked under the entertainment center, under all the furniture, under the hutch, in shoes, in the front bedroom (THE FISHY can fit under the door, and often winds up in there), under the desks in the office, in the office storage closet, on the screened-in side porch, under the bed and all furniture in the bedroom, in the bathroom... we could not find THE FISHY.

Today, I was coming from the office into the living room, glanced down at the coffee table... and there it was. I crawled all around the sofa and entertainment center, and by extension the coffee table, and never saw it sitting there. I even found a toy that's been missing for months and was given up for lost, but I never found THE FISHY except by accident.

Ash is a happy kitty again.
Old 02 August 2014, 05:50 PM

That's the way it usually goes. They're not found until they're *ready* to be found.
Old 03 August 2014, 01:40 PM

Being a cat toy, I'd assume the cat pulled it from wherever it was hidden and dropped it on the coffee table.
Old 03 August 2014, 02:09 PM

It was under the coffee table, not on it, but you're absolutely right. There is a distinct possibility that THE FISHY was lost only to us. Ash probably knew where it was all along.
Old 03 August 2014, 07:22 PM

It took me into my 30s to finally find a dentist I actually like. My childhood dentist was competent but creepy. In my adult years, I've run the gamut from incompetent to one who did very good work but wasn't personable (and then he moved his practice an hour farther away and wasn't an option anyway). Then I found my most recent dentist.

A bad root canal experience was what caused me to leave a dentist I had been going to for a few years. I know root canals aren't fun, but when I let my dentist know I'm feeling pain when he jabs in the hole in my tooth and his response is "don't worry, I'm almost done, I won't do that again" rather than giving me a new shot of novocaine, and then hurts me doing the same thing twice more anyway, I almost walked out. Only that there was an open hole in my tooth and probably a lot of pain when the injections wore off entirely, and he was the only one who might be able to close the hole before that happened, made me stick around.

Then I found my dentist. I had some serious work to be done, and when he was doing it, he would actually frequently check in with me to be sure I was still doing ok. He never forgot while he was working that there was a human being holding those teeth, and it made for the most comfortable possible uncomfortable situation. Even my most competent prior dentist tended to treat me a bit like the structure holding the teeth rather than an actual person when he was intently working. It seems like such a simple thing, but it was the first time I got this feeling from any dentist, that I was more than a teeth-holder.

So, I've been seeing him for a few years now. A couple weeks ago, I got a letter from him that he is retiring, and now I have to find a new dentist again. I find it really hard to allow myself to trust one to begin with, and now my standards have been greatly increased. I had enough trouble finding a dentist when I just was looking for one that wouldn't hurt me unnecessarily.
Old 03 August 2014, 07:30 PM

Can you ask who he would recommend? He must go to a dentist himself, right?
Old 03 August 2014, 08:04 PM

Marathon training problems: I ran 26 kilometres today and my legs don't want to go another meter more (until next week when I do 29). I'm profoundly lazy for the rest of the afternoon after my long runs, and there's nothing in the house I want to eat. The problem is that after burning around 1800 calories this morning, I need to eat something, which means I need to walk to the store. And if I walk to the store, I'm going to want to buy more food just to make the trip worth it, which means more walking and more weight to carry on the way home. None of the local take-out options are in my lazy radius either. I think I need a butler.
Old 04 August 2014, 02:11 PM

Glasses

Mags, I'm with Marrya. Ask your current dentist to recommend another. I was lucky in that when my dentist retired, he was very careful choosing the dentist he sold his practice to. I've been very happy with Dr. N.

Quink, don't any of the local restaurants deliver?

Seaboe
Old 04 August 2014, 02:16 PM

Too late for you now, but myfridgefood.com is useful to help you think of combining what you actually have in the house into something you might want to eat.
Closed Thread